Hi all. I was encouraged by CraigSargent and Jack-Swiss to join this Group build

What I want to do is a CF-18 “Balkan Ratâ€

I am going to be using

Hasegawa F/A-18a

Eduard PE

Eduard PE Placards

True Detail Resin Ejection Seats

Seamless suckers intakes

Decals from Leading Edge

P7285085.jpg

Now the thing is this the first time I have participated in a group build, is there some sort of “idiots guide to group builds†around some where.

The only thing I know is that I need to get this done by November

Typically I post in the “in progress†when I do a build do I still do that or do I do that here. Anyways I guess I will post some stuff soon

Rob

Rob,

More than welcome.

1. It's a Legacy Hornet

2. I'm a mod and invited you

You're good to go. Welcome aboard.

Edit: The deadline is November 30. Other than that, have at it - Idiot's Guide = build your model and enjoy. Post your in progess-pics here and when done, post up to 6 images of the finished model in the "Rollout" pinned topic

Edited by CraigSargent

Howdy All

Here is my first update; I have spent a bit of time on the cockpit. Overall looks like pretty friendly kit. I am guessing the "back" cockpit is going to be hidden so there is no need to paint it.

AACockpit.jpg

AACockpit2.jpg

AACockpit3.jpg

AACockpit4.jpg

AACockpit5.jpg

One Question, does this kit need an nose weight so it is not a tail sitter

Anyway comments and criticisms are welcome

Rob

Howdy all

Here is another update on the Balkan Rat, I have done a bit of work on the seat below.

BBSeat1.jpg

BBSeat2.jpg

BBSeat3.jpg

BBSeat4.jpg

Mostly did a bunch of clean up on the resin. I also added an extension to the umbilical thingamajig which I will eventually mate up to the cockpit. Sorry if lost some of you with my technical expertise. The other bit of work that I did was putting together the fuselage

BBFus1.jpg

BBFus2.jpg

Next thing is I plan on doing was prepping the Seamless Suckers intakes. They are way too big to fit in the fuselage I am thinking of just sanding it down to fit it in. Has anyone ever worked with thes before and have any pearls of wisodom?

Other things will be the landing gear. And work on the side light.

One question to anyone know, I know that a number of CF-18s had the spot light removed, what I am trying to figure out is if any of Rats had this or not.

Finally Jack-Swiss, I love the sig that you made :cheers:, I hope you do not mind id I “borrowed†it. If it is a problem let me know

Rob

Edited by grobber

Woooow great job!!!!

I love it and love the seat...great the oxygen hose,nice touch indeed!!!!

hey dude,no prob at all (on the contrary,I'm very happy you are using it)...those banners are there for everybody,made for anyone who wants them!!!!!

Cheers

:rofl:

Hi all just a bit of an update, nowhere near reflective of the amount of work I have done, first off below is a pic of the search light that I will install on the side of the hornet, made this out of some scrap that I had lying around.

CCLight.jpg

Next is what has been causing me all my grief, I was planning on using seamless suckers intakes however to fit the trucking in you basically need to.

- remove most of the inner part of the wing

- grind the trucking down to the point where it is literally see-through. :thumbsup:

- probably grind off most the top of the landing gear

That is how I spent a good part of my weekend. B) Unfortunately I went a little too far and spoiled the intakes (though I am still not 100% that they would fit)

I still had the original intakes but did not like how it make the interior look hollow and a blanking plate looks kind of stark So I tried a few things. What I think is going to work is to

1 Paint the intake white

2 with a very dark grey lightly feather the interior end of the intake

3 create what I call a “black hole†on the blanking (dark center and feather to the outside)

ccIntake1.jpg

I am fairly happy with the effect

ccintake2.jpg

Anyone have any other ideas ?

Rob

Looks good so far, Rob. Something i notice with all the Hasegawa F-18 builds is the amount of parts needed for the fuselage/wing assembly. How is the fit of all these parts? To me it looks like it could be a real chore to get everything lined up. The Academy kit 1/32 uses a lot of parts for the fuselage/wings assembly and the fit is "challenging" to put it nicely.

Don

Looks good so far, Rob. Something i notice with all the Hasegawa F-18 builds is the amount of parts needed for the fuselage/wing assembly. How is the fit of all these parts? To me it looks like it could be a real chore to get everything lined up. The Academy kit 1/32 uses a lot of parts for the fuselage/wings assembly and the fit is "challenging" to put it nicely.

Don

Hi Don

This is the first time I have ever build a Has f/a-18 so it is a bit of a discovery process for me as I go.

As for fit of the fuselage/wing assembly it is far from perfect, needed quite a bit of sanding and filling to make it look good, but it is ceratinly doable. The one thing I am not sure of is if I distorted the kit when I tried to fit the Seamless Suckers into the it.

The other places where I had fit problems are the nose and the intakes but nothing that can not be fixed with a bit of work

Rob

Edited by grobber

Hi Everybody

I has out of town with work for the week so I have not had a chance to do a lot work on the “Ratâ€. After my fiasco with the Seamless Sucker intakes :thumbsup: I moved on with the kits intakes and so I could start moving forward.

Anyways I found a bunch of fit problems around the intakes, the rear join, and mating up the nose.

So here are the intakes

aa_intake1.jpg

aa_intake2.jpg

The join

aajoin.jpg

The Nose

aa_Nose1.jpg

aa_Nose2.jpg

And this is everything together

aa_Plane.jpg

So are there any other fit areas that I should worry about?

Any comments or tips are welcome

Rob

Nope, everything else from here will be easy. Just check photos of the real thing when doing the flaps. Easy fit, just use strong glue on those tiny hinges. And its looking good so far.

Hi Guys

Here is another little update. According to the Leading Edge Decal instructions CF-18s have tail stiffeners on the port side of each tail fin.

These are not on the Hasegawa tails so I tried to build some

P8245248.jpg

Next do the big fiddly bits, pylons, fuel tanks … and figure what I want to hang off of it

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I have been doing a bit more work on the “Ratâ€, below are a number of quick pics of it that I wanted to get, before I continue with future, decals, and detail weathering, fiddly bits ......

aa_preWea1.jpg

aa_preWea2.jpg

aa_preWea3.jpg

aa_preWea4.jpg

aa_preWea5.jpg

aa_preWea7.jpg

Let me know what you think

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

Just wanted to post an update of the hornet. Probably a couple more weathering sessions, fiddly bits and then figure what to hang off of it to give it an attitude

Anyway comments and suggestions are welcome

wheel.jpg

wheel2.jpg

aaPrelim1.jpg

aaPrelim2.jpg

aaPrelim3.jpg

Rob