Thanks all

Fine looking Hornet! Question though....were you using reference photos for the gear or is the weathering something you decided to try and see how it looks? I don't remember CF-18 gear getting that grimy or brown. Is it just a wash?

Paint is spot on. I especially like the lighter colour of the radome. Mose folks (myself included) don't usually pick up on that, but it is noticable.

For the gear I took some artistic license, the metal gear has such nice detail on it that I really wanted to accentuate it with the wash. I did track down a number of pics of 789 on airliners.net (just search for 188789) that turned me on to the colour difference of the radome. Also the Leading Edge decals are wrong in their description of the this plane's paint. They would have the top colour grey extent past the gun on to the radome, which according to my pics it does not (this is the closest I have ever come to being a “rivet counter†)

Rob

Edited by grobber
  • 2 weeks later...

Rob

:thumbsup: I love the job you've done on this jet. For the landing gear, the wash looks nice but is a little overboard. Most CF-18s are cleaner than that. The large silver shock absorber is as per a USN jet; Canadian ones are inverted and the silver portion is quite small. If you're interested, you can PM me and I can send some good pics. The identification light was often not installed during the Balkan conflict (I have some pics for that if you care to see them also).

These are very niggly details - yours looks fantastic.

On the tails, the stiffeners you've added to the tails look realistic. These are not present on all Canadian Hornets - it depends on fatigue life and which "block number" the jet has, because basic structural aspects were changed over the production cycle of our aircraft.

I am very impressed with the realism of this aircraft. Great work!

Dan

Thanks for the info Dan, I had no idea CAF Hornet landing gear were different then the US, I guess it makes sense if you think about it.

From the couple ro refernce photos that I have 789 has the tail stiffener and front slime lights. But it is good to have the heads up as I will be doing some more hornets in the future

Rob

Thanks for the info Dan, I had no idea CAF Hornet landing gear were different then the US, I guess it makes sense if you think about it.

From the couple ro refernce photos that I have 789 has the tail stiffener and front slime lights. But it is good to have the heads up as I will be doing some more hornets in the future

Rob

The parts are there for Canadian gear.

As well, the gear did get that dirty, I know I didn't always wipe them down fully on a check. When they land they look like that often. As well, all the jets as far as I know now have the stiffeners and all jets have the slime lights. During the Balkan's we disabled or removed the ident-light.

Thanks for all the comments

I think I have figured out where my dirty landing gear fetish came from, in my high school days spent the summers as a mechanic's helper at the airport where I grew up. This included oil changes, smoothing the dents out of prop's on Piper Cherokees and other random and usually dirty jobs

One job that I was not too fond of was cleaning the bottom of these little Cherokees in the sweltering heat of summer. For being a little white planes the bottoms went positively black. I guess it is this repressed memory that influenced me on this build. :(

Though the build is "done" I might swap out shock absorbers

Rob

• 2 weeks later...