XB-36 Information

So here's the deal. I (hopefully) have a 1/72 B-36 Peacemaker coming in the mail. Now, I've already built a 1/72 B-36, so for THIS kit I would like to do something a bit different. Namely, convert it to what I consider the prettiest B-36 variant- the XB- prototype.

When it comes to photo references, there are plenty. What's lacking, however, are decent diagrams- three views, line drawings, etc. If someone here would be so kind as to point me in the direction of where I could find some, that would be great.

What am I looking for? Stuff like this:

• Three views of the nose section. From the front sighting blisters up would be great. From the nose gear forward would be necessary.
  • Hard to find angles of the main single wheel landing gear. This means things like gear door arrangements and retraction strut mechanisms.
  • Details of the single-wheel landing gear WITH the gear door over the wheel. This arrangement is most often seen on early shots of the XC-99 but hey- whatever works.

If anyone could provide these things, that would be awesome. Thanks.

For some useless trivia, I believe this particular aircraft went on display at the original Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB. The main airplanes were outside including the XB-36. There were other rare airplanes, like a KI-100 for example. The XB-36 like many others suffered the elements and was slated to be scrapped. It was saved by collector Walter Soplata of Newbury Ohio who dismantled the fuselage and trucked it to his farm to serve as a 'shed' for other warbirds he obtained. As far as I know its still there. I know it doesn't really answer any of your questions but I thought you might be interested in the history.

Edited by chriss7606
For some useless trivia, I believe this particular aircraft went on display at the original Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB. The main airplanes were outside including the XB-36. There were other rare airplanes, like a KI-100 for example. The XB-36 like many others suffered the elements and was slated to be scrapped. It was saved by collector Walter Soplata of Newbury Ohio who dismantled the fuselage and trucked it to his farm to serve as a 'shed' for other warbirds he obtained. As far as I know its still there. I know it doesn't really answer any of your questions but I thought you might be interested in the history.

Actually the Soplata Peacemaker is the YB-36 42-13571 and not the XB-36. Also of note, the YB-36 was modified into a RB-36E.

:rolleyes:

Get the book "Magnesium Overcast." Buddy of mine at work has it, and it's a fascinating read, with plenty of pics of the XB-36, YB, C-99 and even the YB-60's. Not sure where he bought it from, though. Somehow I doubt it was the bargain table at Book A Million...

I've had my eye on "Magnesium Overcast" for a while now. I could only find hardcover editions, though, all of which cost $60+. After a quick Google search now I managed to find a few paperback editions for less than $20. I have to check to see if I have the moolah, but this may be a perfect opportunity to pick it up....

I've had my eye on "Magnesium Overcast" for a while now. I could only find hardcover editions, though, all of which cost $60+. After a quick Google search now I managed to find a few paperback editions for less than $20. I have to check to see if I have the moolah, but this may be a perfect opportunity to pick it up....

I managed to get a hard backed copy of Magnesium Overcast at the Wichita Barnes & Noble store out on East Kellogg. On sale for $30. Jenkins also has a second B-36 book (soft back) called B-36 Photo Scrapbook. It's photos and drawings that weren't used in Magnesium Overcast. Don't remember what that cost me - got it at the same Barnes & Noble.

Actually the Soplata Peacemaker is the YB-36 42-13571 and not the XB-36. Also of note, the YB-36 was modified into a RB-36E.

:doh:

I'm glad someone else caught my mistake. If you go under the 'Gallery' tab here on ARC and look in the 'Real Aircraft Junkyards' topic there are photos from the Soplata collection. I looked at them and noticed the SAC sash on the nose of the B-36 and did a little research and found that it was the YB-36, but didn't have a chance to post a correction. Until then I did not know there were both an XB and YB models. My apologies.

I managed to get a hard backed copy of Magnesium Overcast at the Wichita Barnes & Noble store out on East Kellogg. On sale for $30....

Aww, lucky! :wacko: As for me, I have NEVER seen this book at my local bookstore, so it looks like Amazon (or other internet retailer) is my only option. Unless, of course, you would be willing to have that little book and yourself part company.... :bandhead2:

Another interesting piece of info- the first B-36A was the second B-36 to ever fly, beating out the YB-36 by four months. I knew why this happened before, but somehow I seem to have forgotten.... aw well.

The Warbird Tech Vol.24 book has some good images of the XB in addition to a drawing much like the one Gordon posted but of the single-wheel main gear, also showing the gear doors.

Heck, if you're going to go to all the trouble, you ought to go all-out and make yours with the tracked landing gear they tested. :whistle:

Sounds like an awesome project in any case. I'm looking forward to the in-progress thread.

:cheers:

The Warbird Tech Vol.24 book has some good images of the XB in addition to a drawing much like the one Gordon posted but of the single-wheel main gear, also showing the gear doors.

Heck, if you're going to go to all the trouble, you ought to go all-out and make yours with the tracked landing gear they tested. :woot.gif:

Sounds like an awesome project in any case. I'm looking forward to the in-progress thread.

:o

I've only seen a couple of pictures of the tracked gear. But those weren't still in use once they added the jet engines, correct? I like the tracked gear, but if building that means I've gotta leave off the jet engines, I'm going to pass :lol:

John

I've only seen a couple of pictures of the tracked gear. But those weren't still in use once they added the jet engines, correct? I like the tracked gear, but if building that means I've gotta leave off the jet engines, I'm going to pass :lol:

John

Huh? I thought we were discussing Lucien's proposed XB-36 conversion. But anyway, no, the tracked gear was only used temporarily on the XB-36, which never had the jets, so I guess you're stuck with the standard gear :o . C'est la vie.

:woot.gif:

Hope you find the info you are looking for. I google the XB- and YB- for fun.

Here's a wild pic from Wiki. Says it's the XB-36 nose gear. Never seen one like this before but the only B-36 I've ever seen was the one that used to sit on that hill in Arlington Texas. Accross from American Airlines if I remember correctly.

800px-Convair_XB-36_nose_landing_gear_detail_061128-F-1234S-034.jpg

Cool side-by-side with a B-29. Amazing!

797px-B-29_and_B-36.jpg

Ah, the tracked XB-36. Let's see what we can find:

800px-Convair_XB-36_061128-F-1234S-031.jpg

Convair_XB-36_061128-F-1234S-030.jpg

This type of landing gear was also tested on a B-50:

B50-trackgear.jpg

(Image taken from Aerofiles.com)

As for my possible conversion, as tempting as this is, I will have to pass. One of the main draws for me the XB- has is its obnoxiously huge main landing gear. I've never been a fan of bogeyed landing gear, despite all of its advantages. Who knows, though- I may convert a B-50 to it later on down the road.... :woot.gif:

On a related note, the $25 B-36 from Tower Hobbies has shipped, so they DO have these in stock.

Edited by Lucien Harpress

Basically to accomplish the same thing bogeyed landing gears do- increase the footprint of the aircraft and spreading the weight over a larger area. With the original four-wheel system (two main gears, two nose wheels) you got four small patches, one on each wheel. With tracks, you get large square patches for each gear member. It was basically like giving the aircraft snowshoes. In the end the four-wheel bogey accomplished the same thing, only it was simpler.

And what exactly is the point behind tracked landing gear? I've never seen anything like that before. Designer had one of those lightbulb moments while riding his snow mobile?? Weird stuff.

I think the idea was to spread the load over a larger contact patch so the B-36 could land at more airfields. They would spread it more than even the 4-wheel bogeys. In the end, I'm sure it was the complexity, combined with the 4-wheeled gear being good enough for the need that did them in.

edit: yah, what Lucien said :woot.gif:

Not sure on the B-50 & C-82(?) that had them. They may have been studies done for the B-36 gear.

Been reading a ton on the B-36 lately. I may actually break down and get a 1/72 scale kit. I'd rather have the Hobbycraft 1/144, but at twice the cost of the bigger model, it just seems silly to buy it.

:thumbsup:

Edited by mkimages
Been reading a ton on the B-36 lately. I may actually break down and get a 1/72 scale kit. I'd rather have the Hobbycraft 1/144, but at twice the cost of the bigger model, it just seems silly to buy it.

:thumbsup:

Aw, go for it. This will be my second 1/72 monster( :woot.gif: ) with a probable third later on (and plans for about five more!).

Well, my B-36 arrived in the mail the other day. I also picked up a $10 Squadron "B-36 in action" book that has (among other things) a side-view line drawing of the XB-36. I can blow that up and use it as a plan for sculpting the new nose.

I'm still planning on picking up "Magnesium Overcast" eventually, but the $$$ a bit tight at the moment.

As for the actual build- it's tough to say when it'll start. I have three or four projects (large ones) ongoing at the moment, and I just committed myself to one more. When something happens, however, I'll be sure to post something up.

• 1 month later...
Lucien,

Unless your heart is set on a hard backed version, I noticed Amazon was listing the paper backed copy of The Magnesium Overcast for about 18 bucks.

I saw the paperback editions of Magnesium Overcast and Hypersonic the other day. Be aware that they're smaller than the original hardbacks.

The hardbacks are about 10.5" square, but the paperbacks are only 9" square. Some of the photos and diagrams are approaching unusably small size because of the difference.

Peter

I saw the paperback editions of Magnesium Overcast and Hypersonic the other day. Be aware that they're smaller than the original hardbacks.

The hardbacks are about 10.5" square, but the paperbacks are only 9" square. Some of the photos and diagrams are approaching unusably small size because of the difference.

Peter

Depends what you want them for. They look fine to me. I bought both of them the other week and they are very good indeed, a bargain in fact. Very readable too.

Mike

Well, I just ordered a paperback edition today. I'm not too worried about size. My eyes are still pretty good, and if it's a problem, I always have some magnifying lenses. If the photos are printed too small to make detail out? So be it. I won't lose sleep over it.

However, any kit that results from this is WAAAAAAAAAY on the back burner. Let's see what I've got to work on...

-Add antennas to finish Su-5

-Mask and paint Short Stirling

-Continue work on Zveno 7

-Mask and paint He 111Z (ik)

-Try to put time into Spruce Goose

-Finish and rig scratchbuilt Bezobrazov Triplane

-Continue work on scratchbuilt SSW R.VIII

and the biggie

-COLLEGE!!!!!!!!!

So, you see, this could take a while. :worship: