Royal Australian Air Force F111C

Over the past week I have been slowly working on my F111C A8-132 or 135 cockpit which I have just finished. I have used the Verlinden F Model upgrade set as it closely resembles the AUP upgraded C models of the RAAF. I have modified the Instrument panel minorly to show the upgraded similarity. I am really pleased with the way it has turned out.

Next move will be replacing the kit front U/C w/w for a scratch built one resembling NIMROD's. I will also be looking at cleaning up my long span Scaledown wings and fitting these to the main fuselage. Given that you can barely see into the main W/W I'm not going to do anything with my kit like NIMROD has. Anyway, here's my cockpit so far. Comments welcome.

DSC01981.jpg

DSC01982.jpg

Regards

Andrew :thumbsup:

Very nicely done! Looking forward to seeing the wells.

Well Dax,

I started the front wheel well tonight and it looks okay but it is slightly to deep so I'm going to have to shave it down a tad otherwise it looks okay. Just gotta work out how to attach the U/C leg where there used to be a hole!

Cheers for the comments

Andrew

Just gotta work out how to attach the U/C leg where there used to be a hole!

I'm in the same boat, or was I should say. I've so far opted to restructure the gear leg so it fist in the bay on an artifical (meaning its not there in the real thing) "cross beam"... it creates almost an extended lip for the gear leg... sounds weird explaining it. My solution was more based on not wanting to put so much effort into it vs. how noticeable it will be in the end.

Here's to hoping you find a better solution! :thumbsup:

Edited by Dax
I'm in the same boat, or was I should say. I've so far opted to restructure the gear leg so it fist in the bay on an artifical (meaning its not there in the real thing) "cross beam"... it creates almost an extended lip for the gear leg... sounds weird explaining it. My solution was more based on not wanting to put so much effort into it vs. how noticeable it will be in the end.

Here's to hoping you find a better solution! :o

I have a solution in mind but I don't know if it will work; That is to put a pin through the leg that extends into the walls and run two diagonal braces from the pin to the leg itself as per the real thing. I need to look at in the day time and not at night when I'm tired.

Regards

Andrew :cop:

Nice looking Cockpit Andrew.

I don't know where you find the time to turn out the volume of high quality work you do.

I look forward to seeing how your front wheel well turns out.

:popcorn

Cheers

Mark :

Cheers Mark.

Good to see you over here. My time I put down to good work load management-Get the kids ready for school, tidy house after wife and kids are gone and sit down for an hour or two and play with the plastic before work when I'm working arvos. Alternatively, if I'm working mornings, after the kids go to bed I play with my plastic again for an hour or two before bed. I haven't touched the 'pig' for a couple of days as I'm trying to get the VicPol Dauphin finished for the Helicopter G/B.

Regards

Andrew

Cheers Mark.

Good to see you over here. My time I put down to good work load management-Get the kids ready for school, tidy house after wife and kids are gone and sit down for an hour or two and play with the plastic before work when I'm working arvos. Alternatively, if I'm working mornings, after the kids go to bed I play with my plastic again for an hour or two before bed. I haven't touched the 'pig' for a couple of days as I'm trying to get the VicPol Dauphin finished for the Helicopter G/B.

Regards

Andrew

I'm in desperate need of working space! Every time I start I need to unpack and pack up again when finished.

Kind of saps any enthusiasm I get.

So for the meantime, you guys are my surrogate modelers.

I do have an F-111 project on the go at the moment but as it's for somene else, I can't really post any pics in respect to the customer's wishes.

I'm gaining a lot of inspiration from all your guys scratch building and once our tax is done I might be able to take over the office desk for some quality modeling time.

Keep up the good work.

Mark

I'm in desperate need of working space! Every time I start I need to unpack and pack up again when finished.

Kind of saps any enthusiasm I get.

So for the meantime, you guys are my surrogate modelers.

I do have an F-111 project on the go at the moment but as it's for somene else, I can't really post any pics in respect to the customer's wishes.

I'm gaining a lot of inspiration from all your guys scratch building and once our tax is done I might be able to take over the office desk for some quality modeling time.

Keep up the good work.

Mark

Gidday Mark,

Just so that you don't feel alone, I unpack and re-pack everytime I'm building. I use a large Plano fishing box as my mobile modelling box and just close it up and pack it away when I'm done. I don't have my own modelling desk so I use the kitchen table unless I have to spray something. Then, I go out to the garage and use my work bench. Suits me to a tee and if I want to get some fresh air and build I can take the box out under the pergola and work at the outdoor setting.

Regards

Andrew

Where do you find the time! :D

Looks good Andrew :thumbsup: , will it be finshed this weekend?

No Ray, it won't be finished this weekend :thumbsup: . But, I have an update of my front U/C bay. just need to add some wiring.

DSC01986.jpg

DSC01987.jpg

Regards

Andrew :cop:

Thanks Ricardo.

I have done some more work tonight mainly on the fuselage adding the Scaledown wing set, making up the engine exhausts and the fuel dump mast. The Scaledown wings are magnificent but I have deepened the panel lines as they were a tad shallow. Also, due to their weight I reinforced the top of the joints so that the wings don't droop.

Regards

Andrew :tease:

DSC01988.jpg

The undersides of the wings showing the cogs that join the wings

DSC01989.jpg

The top side of the wings. I used 1mm plastic card to reinforce the joint so that the wings don't droop later on

DSC01990.jpg

The wings in position with the wing swivel boxes in position

DSC01991.jpg

The closed up rear fuselage

DSC01992.jpg

Everything that's been done so far.

Looks great. Whats going on there on the intakes, just forward of the wings on the 3rd pic down above? Looks like its aftermarket plastic, but of what?

Thats part of the wing set. It's to fill in the wing glove area.

Great work Andrew!

Gona try and do some more on my pig this weekend.

Where do you find the time! :yahoo:

Looks good Andrew :cheers: , will it be finshed this weekend? :)

What's so special about this weekend then?? Is there secret mens business afoot??

Edited by nimrod77
Thats part of the wing set. It's to fill in the wing glove area.

Great work Andrew!

Gona try and do some more on my pig this weekend.

What's so special about this weekend then?? Is there secret mens business afoot??

Nathan,

Thanks for your kind words. There's nothing special about this weekend in terms of secret men's business. I'm going away with the wife and kids to celebrate my wife's 40th Birthday. Did some of the under carriage wiring this morning and did some work on the elevons. Going to build and blank out the intakes next.

Regards

Andrew

No Nathan, at the rate Andrew works I figured he would be finished and getting ready to punch out another Mirage or 3, which reminds me I have a 1/72 Mirage to finish for the AMI Changa tribute pages..... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well after finishing off my 1/48 Dauphin and 1/32 P39 Airacobra for the other G/Bs, I have finally managed to do some work on my 'Pig'. I have attached pics of the assembled cockpit and the technique I used to join the two fuselage halves which have only left the smallest of steps in two spots. I have also glued the intake vane panel into position and the intakes. See if you can guess what I am doing with the intakes. Anyway, there's plastic to be glued together. So, until next time-Enjoy!

Regards

Andrew ;)

DSC02027.jpg

DSC02028.jpg

DSC02029.jpg

DSC02030.jpg

DSC02031.jpg