Royal Australian Air Force F111C

I've had this issue before Nathan and there's not much you can do but fill and sand back or shave away some plastic and re-scribe. I'm doing a Red Flag 2007 a/c but am undecided as to whether I put on an ACMI Pod, ECM pod, guided bombs, SUU20 etc. I discussed this issue with A1 last night but I can't find suitable pics for references.

Out of curiosity what A/C no. are you doing?

Regards

Andrew

I'm thinking of 140, or 132. A8-140 was the first F-111 that I re-built when I was at Amberley, and I always had a soft spot for 132. I think that I will just do the current scheme. I have been posted back to Amberley next yr so I better get finished before the move!!!

BTW I may be heading up that way soon for the Amb airshow...... Might get some reference pics if you need some.

I will be doing some more on my F-111 shortly, as I have some boring "supervisory work" coming over the next week or so...

That'll be great Nathan, can never have enough reference shots. Phil (Budgie), has been helping me out with some pics. I think I've decided to go with 135. Did some further work on the intakes last night and glued into place. I also made the main U/C up ready for painting and a couple of other bits and pieces. I'll update either later tonight or tomorrow sometime. You don't happen to have any pics of the ECM pod in position and or a ACMI pod on the inboard pylon?

Regards

Andrew

You don't happen to have any pics of the ECM pod in position and or a ACMI pod on the inboard pylon?

ECM pod in place, sorry its a crap shot. I have one of Paragons ELTA pods for my F-111. Excelent little bit of resin :salute:

post-3-1128778978.jpg

As for the ACMI pod, there carried the same as an AIM-9, i.e. on a rail launcher. like the one shown in this pic on the Pig on the left of frame...

20050314raaf8193387_0037.jpg

HTH,

Nimrod

"I'm doing a Red Flag 2007 a/c but am undecided as to whether I put on an ACMI Pod, ECM pod, guided bombs, SUU20 etc. I discussed this issue with A1 last night but I can't find suitable pics for references."

G'day A2,

For an '07 flag jet I would suggest the following config for transit:

#3 & #6: Jugs

#5: MXU-648 (cargo pod)

#4: LAU-7 (AIM-9 launcher rail) , The TSPI (not an ACMI pod by the way) is actually fitted by USAF gunnies upon arrival at Nellis. The RAAF does not own any.

Aft ECM station: EL-8222

After arrival the config can vary but I would suggest:

TSPI pod is fitted to the LAU-7 rail on #4, the MXU-648 is removed from #5 and the jugs are dropped from #3 and #6.

These stations would either have BRU-3A's (bomb racks) or 2000lb weapons ie Mk.84LDGP, AGM-142 or GBU-10/24, fitted, depending on the mission requirements. SUU-20's are generally not taken on deployment, though they can be if required.

If the AGM-142 is carried, the datalink pod (DLP) is generally fitted to #5 and a ballast round (inert Mk.82) to #4. However a pylon that is configured for a missile cannot carry a bomb, and the whole pylon (or the internal release mechanism) would need to be added.

Alternatively, the DLP could still be fitted to #5, but two AGM-142 CATM (practice rounds) could be carried on #3 and #6. CATM rounds have active seekers but no warhead or rocket motors so they are carried but not released.

Oh don't forget the chaff and flare buckets would be loaded.

The Academy kit needs these added as the kit still represents the Vietnam era ALE-28 system instead of the current standard.

Clear as mud?

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121
"I'm doing a Red Flag 2007 a/c but am undecided as to whether I put on an ACMI Pod, ECM pod, guided bombs, SUU20 etc. I discussed this issue with A1 last night but I can't find suitable pics for references."

G'day A2,

For an '07 flag jet I would suggest the following config for transit:

#3 & #6: Jugs

#5: MXU-648 (cargo pod)

#4: LAU-7 (AIM-9 launcher rail) , The TSPI (not an ACMI pod by the way) is actually fitted by USAF gunnies upon arrival at Nellis. The RAAF does not own any.

Aft ECM station: EL-8222

After arrival the config can vary but I would suggest:

TSPI pod is fitted to the LAU-7 rail on #4, the MXU-648 is removed from #5 and the jugs are dropped from #3 and #6.

These stations would either have BRU-3A's (bomb racks) or 2000lb weapons ie Mk.84LDGP, AGM-142 or GBU-10/24, fitted, depending on the mission requirements. SUU-20's are generally not taken on deployment, though they can be if required.

If the AGM-142 is carried, the datalink pod (DLP) is generally fitted to #5 and a ballast round (inert Mk.82) to #4. However a pylon that is configured for a missile cannot carry a bomb, and the whole pylon (or the internal release mechanism) would need to be added.

Alternatively, the DLP could still be fitted to #5, but two AGM-142 CATM (practice rounds) could be carried on #3 and #6. CATM rounds have active seekers but no warhead or rocket motors so they are carried but not released.

Oh don't forget the chaff and flare buckets would be loaded.

The Academy kit needs these added as the kit still represents the Vietnam era ALE-28 system instead of the current standard.

Clear as mud?

cheers,

Pappy

Thanks Pappy but you lost me at #3. Sorry, I don't know all the technical jargon you guys use. Only kidding! Most of what you said makes sense. I'll pick a pic from the Red Flag pics and go with what I find that interests me.

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Doppel
  • 2 weeks later...

Well guys,

It's been a while since I've actually done any real work on my pig, so I decided to pull my finger out and do something. I have made up the 'bungs' for the intakes as Nathan rightly guessed from Milliput, added the strike camera on the nose as well as the Radar Warning receiver/sensor, scribed the chaff/flare dispensers on plastic card and glued them in place on the two tail booms. I have also puttied them and the rest of the fuselage where required, and finally, did some painting on the exhausts. Hope you like the next installment! Now I can sand it down, touch up the panel lines and give it a coat of paint before getting onto the wings. Yippee!

Regards

Andrew :cop:

DSC02042.jpg

Overall view of the assembled fuselage so far-puttied up

DSC02043.jpg

Close up of the painted Scaledown exhausts-Note one open the other closed

DSC02044.jpg

Intake 'bungs' sitting in place in the intakes

DSC02045.jpg

Close up of the bungs with 1 Squadron's Kookaburra logo and RBF tags.

These just require some dulling down later

DSC02046.jpg

Shot of the nose with strike camera and radar warning sensor in place

DSC02047.jpg

Close up of the chaff/flare dispensors on the tail booms

Edited by Andrew Doppel

Thanks Nathan,

I'd like to say I painted/stencilled the kookaburras on like I did with the Grumpy Monkey on my Hornet, but I didn't. They're actually decals from the Aussie Decal 1/48 camo sheet for the lightning bolts mid 80s.

Regards

Andrew :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been a while since I did an update too.

In between doing a 1/32 F14 for a mate, doing a side by side 1/48 Mirage IIIO kits with my son for the Gone but not forgotten GB I have been tinkering with my F111 but not to the extent at which I thought I would. Anyway, I have added the flare/chall dispensers to the tail booms, Painted the main wheels, red wing insides, added the canopy frame work, touched up the exhausts, drilled the safety pin holes for the pylons and a couple of other bits and pieces. Here are the pics;

DSC02093.jpg

Flare/Chaff dispensers on tail boom

DSC02105.jpg

ECM Pod scratch built from styrene rod and plastic card with resin pylon

DSC02101.jpg

Verlinden canopy frame added and wheels painted

DSC02102.jpg

Canopy frame painted and RBF tags added to chute handles

DSC02104.jpg

Main canopy section test fitted to cockpit

DSC02106.jpg

Internal wing flap/slat areas painted red. Had to adjust fitting points for the resin slats and flaps

DSC02107.jpg

pylons, bomb racks, ECM Pod, exhausts and canopy

Hopefully I can paint the grey in the next day or so. Thanks for looking and any comments welcome.

Regards

Andrew :thumbsup: