Me, With a Top Gun F-14A Iran paint Job...

Mark, why don't you just stop with all the Marine 'Tomcat envy' and just build a VMFT-101 F-14? I think this would fit in nicely into the "Sorta-Almost Was, but Not Quite" category... :woot.gif:

Edited by Harv

As a theoretical part of this GB team, I suppose I should kick-in...

~Probably some sort of...Adversary...("Gee, Harv, ya THINK???")

Any of the following: (Hey, I NEVER finish anyway!)

VC-13 A-4 (Hase 1/48)

VFC-13 F/A-18A (Hase 1/48)

VF-126 A-4 (Hase 1/48)

VF-126 TA-4J (CA 1/48)

VF-126 F-16N (Hase -or- Tam 1/48)

NFWS F-16N (Tam 1/32)

NFWS F/A-18 (Acad 1/32)

...Or, maybe I'll go way off and attack that barely-started F-4E (Hase/Pro-Mod boxing 1/48) as a "Chico Gunfighter" OR that neglected F-4D Skyray (Tam 1/48) OOB, decals & all...

***Okay, Eugene, Big change, per your direction! I've pushed all aside to start work on the Tamiya F-4J Comm job. Need whatever refs you can muster! I'll start taking pics & posting once I can figure out a new web/picture hosting site.

Edited by Harv
Mark, why don't you just stop with all the Marine 'Tom Cat envy' and just build a VMFT-101 F-14? I think this would fit in nicely into the "Sorta-Almost Was, but Not Quite" category... :woot.gif:

Cause Harv that wouldn't be correct as VF-124 did all the training for Marine Tomcatters.

Cause Harv that wouldn't be correct as VF-124 did all the training for Marine Tomcatters.

...And rightfully so! What the heck does a Marine know about flying a Tomcat? Understood the planned USMC hardware never went beyond the vaporware stage, but the squadron *did* exist for a short time - enough for guys to get orders cut, etc...just thoght it a good fit for our fine SSgt...

This could be interesting; I think better than half of my kits would qualify :thumbsup: I will start with a AD-5W Skyraider conversion using the old 1/72nd scale Monogram kit and Falcon conversion radome. If this goes well, then I will continue with something else.

Ernie

Mark, why don't you just stop with all the Marine 'Tomcat envy' and just build a VMFT-101 F-14? I think this would fit in nicely into the "Sorta-Almost Was, but Not Quite" category... :monkeydance:

Ha,Ha, Harv now think back........ All of the Tomcat's that I have done, what did I do with them????????? It is a Com Build man, for Mike the Hart Doc up in OC. :D Same with the F-9 that I doing. The SR-71 that I just started I'm going to take it up to March and give it to them, or San Diego Air and Space. :thumbsup: I do not have any room at my home for that thing!!!!!! :bandhead2: See ya on Sat man.

I'm also in with a SAAF (South African Air Force) Mirage IIICZ from 2 Squadron, circa 1969. The Mirage III has long been retired from SAAF service, but 2 Squadron is still sort-of around. They are currently converting from the Cheetah C to the Gripen C and D.

For me the Mirage III in SAAF service represents the "Gone but not Forgotten" theme in more than one way. Of course, it is now retired, so it qualifies on that count. Also, the natural metal scheme that I plan to finish it in hasn't been seen in South African skies since the mid-70's. However, this aircraft also represents a very rich period in the SAAF's history: By the time the Mirage III was retired, we had one advanced flying school operating Mirages, 2 Squadron was operating the Mirage IIICZ, 1 Squadron Mirage F1AZ's, 3 Squadron Mirage F1CZ's, 5 Squadron Cheetah E's, and 4,6,7,8 and two advanced flying schools were operating Impala's (Licence produced Airmacchi MB-326's). At the same time 12 Squadron was operating Canberra's and 24 was operating Buccaneers. In short, we had a serious combat operational capability!

Today we are left with 85 CFS operating the Hawk Mk120 and 2 Squadron transitioning to the Gripen C/D. Although much of the tradition and professionalism still remain (in contrast to what some of the SA media may want the public to believe), it is certainly true that the combat arm of the SAAF has been very much reduced to a token force - albeit one that will still have a serious bite once the Gripens are fully operational.

So the Mirage, to me, still reminds me of the "glory years" of the SAAF - now gone but certainly not forgotten...

I will be building the Eduard 1/48 scale Mirage IIIC "Profipack". Since the Profipack boxing includes photo-etch and a few extras, as well as a beautiful set of SAAF markings, I will be doing this one pretty much out of the box. The kit could do with a resin ejection seat, but I think the kit seat will be ok as a base to detail with a bit of scratchbuilding. I plan to start in about a week as I am just putting the finishing touches on a Hasegawa Bf-109E.

Cheers,

Bennie

This is a very ggod choice :worship:

Patrick

Hi,

I wrote a mail to the mods if my options would qualify, but after seeing this lineup, it's rather obvious they do.

I was thinking about a F-14A from VF-111 or a Jaguar E from St. Dizier's EC 01.007...

But as the Tomcats are quite represented here I'm going for the Jag. Even more because it's the only jag in French colours. Hope you guys like fancy colourschemes as it is the hase 1/72 Jaguar E reboxed as the E37 '7-HZ'. Painted Black over aluminium with a running jaguar in flames on the sides, and the '30 Ans' titles on the wingtop and fin.

I actually started this kit a while ago, with gluing the 3 aft fuselage parts together and placing the fin on top... Then it stalled allready and got stored again... partially because I didn't knew what decals to use as the kit decals for the jubilee aircraft (as only option) are just pure pulphorror. I'll take a picture of them soon to show you what I mean if you didn't see them before...

Going to concentrate on airbrushing the jaguar in flames on the side, so aside of a bit scratchbuilding in the cockpit, maybe a couple of resin seats and some fake engine fronts it's going to be an oob build.

If, and only if this one gets ready in time, or gets binned before time, I'll try and get a starfighter glued together and decorated with the hopefully by then released daco decals for the belgian starfighters :banana:

Greetings

Hi,

I wrote a mail to the mods if my options would qualify, but after seeing this lineup, it's rather obvious they do.

I was thinking about a F-14A from VF-111 or a Jaguar E from St. Dizier's EC 01.007...

But as the Tomcats are quite represented here I'm going for the Jag. Even more because it's the only jag in French colours. Hope you guys like fancy colourschemes as it is the hase 1/72 Jaguar E reboxed as the E37 '7-HZ'. Painted Black over aluminium with a running jaguar in flames on the sides, and the '30 Ans' titles on the wingtop and fin.

I actually started this kit a while ago, with gluing the 3 aft fuselage parts together and placing the fin on top... Then it stalled allready and got stored again... partially because I didn't knew what decals to use as the kit decals for the jubilee aircraft (as only option) are just pure pulphorror. I'll take a picture of them soon to show you what I mean if you didn't see them before...

Going to concentrate on airbrushing the jaguar in flames on the side, so aside of a bit scratchbuilding in the cockpit, maybe a couple of resin seats and some fake engine fronts it's going to be an oob build.

If, and only if this one gets ready in time, or gets binned before time, I'll try and get a starfighter glued together and decorated with the hopefully by then released daco decals for the belgian starfighters :P

Greetings

Hi

After Oryx's Mirage III this is another very good choice.

I hope to have enough time to make as well a French and stronger aircraft.

Patrick

I might add an Australian flavour to this Group Build if I can?

I intend to build a 1/48 Italeri Mirage IIIE and convert it to RAAF IIIO specs with some serious cockpit, avionics bay scratch build detail and paint it up in the colours of A3-51 a low-vis scheme from 75 Squadron, RAAF.

My 9 year old son also wants to do a 1/48 Mirage IIIO as well and he is using a resin cockpit set and will do his a/c in the low vis colours of 77 Squadron, RAAF.

The RAAF MIrages were retired in the mid to late 80's when they were superceeded by the F/A-18 Hornet.

These beautiful French ladies of the sky are now gone (albeit in Museums) but are not forgotten in Australian service.

I won't be starting until later this year as I need to finish a couple of other G/B projects.

Regards

Andrew :thumbsup:

Hey guys

Thats gonna be a difficult decision, because about every model in my stash would fit in this category... But most likely i am gonna join with a Seasprite or/and an F-8 Crusader in VF-111 or VF-162 markings.

Regards Roman

Entering a South African Air Force Mirage IIICZ in 1:48 - using the Eduard kit, Eduard PE and some scratchbuilding. It will be in the tan and green scheme and have a white nose - fell in love with the scheme when I saw the colour profile in the first issue of Air International that I bought back in 1980 taking the train home after a long day at my vacation job in Oslo. On vacation in Norway at the time, so there won't be any modelling for another week and a half though. Glad to see South Africans here, so ma be able to exchange notes.

Jens

I would like to amend my original post by adding an additional model. So I am building:

1/48 Hasegawa F-8E Crusader, most likely VF-211

1/48 Hasegawa F-4J Phantom II, most likely VF-114

I would like to amend my original post by adding an additional model. So I am building:

1/48 Hasegawa F-8E Crusader, most likely VF-211

1/48 Hasegawa F-4J Phantom II, most likely VF-114

...San Diego 'Saders & 'Varks! :blink: