1st F/A-18C for the Blue Angels

I agree with you Henk ...

Looks like it recently went through rework, no standard scheme and has a minimum of stencils on ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

i'd say you're right, it looks like it's lined up to be a BA. it even has their intake covers on it. it's funny that they'd take the time to repaint the warnings and stencils just to be painted over, maybe it was painted that way before it had been designated for them?

Great photo and thanks for sharing.

Bill

They are going to the"Charlie" model next year and the birds are in rework now. So, that one looks ready for painting after checkout. The Blue Birds are flying some of the oldest A's in the fleet. And they are beatup. They are flown alot and HARD! Glad they are getting newER birds. But, would have been nice to get "Echo" models.

Wayne

They have been flying the A model for over 20 years, so I guess that it is about time they got the updated version of the Hornet.

As more E/F's enter the fleet, more and more C/D's will become available for such missions. I guess it reached a point where the Blues could finally start takin' C/D's outta D-M (or the active fleet) and start retiring the older jets.

...it's funny that they'd take the time to repaint the warnings and stencils just to be painted over, maybe it was painted that way before it had been designated for them?

I think it's a safety issue. Even if there's no topcoat, if it's gonna be operated it needs the basic safety designations applied. Hence the intake and air data component warnings.

Blues can get the C because the fleet has flown them to the max trap life much faster than planned. Of course, they are also going to have a large portion of the Legacy Hornets reach their airframe life sooner than planned as well...

Trust me, having the E/F in the fleet hasn't 'freed' up anything. The Navy has a tough time just meeting requirements and with far less equipment than is required. The E/F is almost more a stopgap measure until JSF comes online.

E models aren't even in the planning concept for the Blues, and so far the Navy has made it clear that they won't be getting them.

-brian

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
I agree with you Henk ...

Looks like it recently went through rework, no standard scheme and has a minimum of stencils on ...

Gregg

It is a model - panel lines are way over done.

(just kidding - but being observant)

Mark