Here we go. Got the kit in a gift set along with a Tornado F3.

I have a Pavla resin seat, MA decals and some Eduard photo etch on the way. This kit doesn't look as bad as the Tornado ones, so hopefully it will turn out quite well.

Photos of the real thing can be seen here:

http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/scene/jag54/2.htm

http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/scene/jag54/1.htm

Here is the kit straight out of the bag:

jaguarwx3.png

jaguar2cc8.png

sweet! i got the same kits, i think its "front line fighters" or something...

let us know how the resin fits, looking over the kit, it kinda needs it. the tornado does too...

watchin this with interests :woot.gif:

If you check out britmodeler there was a recent jaguar group build with some mighty fine examples built which should be a good help during construction. And I believe its a hell of alot better then the F3.

Edited by alrite

i too will more than likely be joining this build with the same kit.

one thing i've noticed with this kit is: the panel lines are nice and deep but on the undersides the panel lines have near enough disappeared and will need re-scribing

will be following this thread closely good luck!

i too will more than likely be joining this build with the same kit.

one thing i've noticed with this kit is: the panel lines are nice and deep but on the undersides the panel lines have near enough disappeared and will need re-scribing

will be following this thread closely good luck!

Yeah, it's strange. The plastic has a slightly 'grainy' texture all over, except on the bottom of the fuselage where it goes smooth :deadhorse1:

I am still waiting for the bits I ordered to arrive, hopefully will be today or tomorrow.

I have assembled the tanks, BL755s and a few other sub-assemblies, lots of filling and sanding so far, especially with the gun bays in the fuselage, they really didn't fit that well.

Hopefully I'll get some pics later today.

Finally some more pictures! I am still waiting for the extras, so I havn't been able to start any of the cockpit yet.

Fuselage with the gun fairings pretty much filled, filed and sanded in place, I have also started a little scratch building in one of the main u/c bays to make it look a bit more interesting:

jagbuild1fu8.png

BL755s, external tanks, recce pod, nose and intakes have had all the seams removed (as far as I can see!), no doubt a coat of primer will show up lots of little patches that need more work :deadhorse1:

jagbuild2im6.png

I have removed the boxy thing that is in the front u/c bay (could be a fuse box or something similar?), I will add one in the correct place once I have decided what to make it from.

jagbuild5wr4.png

The kit seat, not hugely detailed, hopefully the resin one (when it arrives!) will be much nicer:

jagbuild3tf1.png

jagbuild4ff8.png

Front u/c bay and main gear doors:

jagbuild6xc5.png

jagbuild6xc5.dc0d781d1f.jpg

Main gear and brake bays:

jagbuild7tv0.png

jagbuild7tv0.6cd2085c20.jpg

There isn't too much more I can add to them at the moment before I start assembling the main body of the kit.

I will add the clam-shell looking thing in this picture once I have painted the rest of the brake bay as it is going to get in the way otherwise!

69.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am in a predicament, does anyone know what the rectangular thing attached to the front of the canopy in the first picture is, and if it is only on GR.1s? I keep finding pictures of Jags with and without it!! :thumbsup:

cos-02.jpg

[Radek Simecek]

moore-04.jpg

[Will Moore]

Ta very much.

Edited by T0M4ever
I am in a predicament, does anyone know what the rectangular thing attached to the front of the canopy in the first picture is, and if it is only on GR.1s? I keep finding pictures of Jags with and without it!! :salute:

cos-02.jpg

[Radek Simecek]

moore-04.jpg

[Will Moore]

Ta very much.

Yes, first is GR1A and the cecond is GR3A

Radek

• 2 months later...

It's back on!

Sorry about the lack of activity, but I started a new job and the new rowing 'season' started which left me with bugger all time for anything :(

I am quite close to the first layer of primer now, just a bit more sanding and filling to go :P

Hopefully there will be a photo or two at the weekend!

• 3 weeks later...

Of course, when I said there would be a photo or two at the weekend, I meant this one! :D

lgim00072jd7.jpg

lgim0009tr0.jpg

lgim00062lk4.jpg

lgim0006pf3.jpg

As you can see, it is pretty much ready for a coat of primer, which will no doubt show up legions of gaps and bumps which will require even more filling! :)

I wasn't expecting a perfect fit, but the join where the fuselage meets the wings is particularly bad. If you like the spin up correctly the tops of the wings stick above the top of the fuselage, and if you line up the wings the spine sits too low! The gun bays also required a lot of filling and sanding to get half decent.

I have used Eduard photo-etch, the PE for the cockpit was quite nice, but some of the parts for the body are not a great fit. There are two bits to replace part of the (APU?) which don't fit that well and required a lot of putty to get the smooth lines back.

I also bought the Paragon chaff dispensers, cannon bulges and burner cans (twice as I managed to lose one of the bulges when I was cleaning it :blink: ), these parts are definitely an improvement on the kit parts, and the cans are much better then the PE offering from Eduard.

I also purchased a seat from Pavla which is ready to go:

lgim00053ve8.jpg

As you can see, the picture quality is still crap! I just got a 5MP camera phone (it was free though!), and it has hardly made a difference. Either the lighting in my room is horribly bad, or I need a proper camera!

Comments and suggestions welcome as always.

Edited by T0M4ever
  • 3 weeks later...

Cockpit it finished, now I can start pre-shading and getting on with the fun stuff!

It is not perfect, but it's as close as I am going to get with this one at the moment!

dsc05131ew5.jpg

dsc05130di9.jpg

The HUD looks crooked in this picture - I have corrected it now!

dsc05135rv4.jpg

dsc05137my2.jpg

dsc05138ih7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...