A rather unique set of Japanese aircraft

I don't know if pre-built models are allowed here, but I just thought they would be an intereseting piece to share. Picked these up at a local model shop here in Hawaii. These are randomly boxed models, like trading figures as they are known in Japan. They are from set that depict WWII aircraft that were designed by Japan but never put into active service, although the aircraft were made(to my knowledge) they could not be used because the war had already been lost.

Here are some pics of the box:

DSC00609-1.jpg

DSC00611.jpg

This particular model is the A7M2(the only thing on that box that I could read)

DSC00606.jpg

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00604.jpg

DSC00597.jpg

I have taken a magnifying glass and inspected the exterior of the model, and I have to say the detail is very fine. However I could not get the front landing gear to fit in nicely where they should be, so I had to configure this model in the landing position. I'd say if anyone is into 1/144 scale prebuilt models, these are some that should be added to your collection.

Interesting. The A7M "Sam" was only flown in prototype form, but the others saw operational service. From top to bottom the box shows 1 A7M; 2 B7A "Grace" torpedo bombers (not sure if those actually saw combat or not, but they did get into operational service;) three Ki-100s..one of the hottest fighters the Japanese army had, and saw plenty of combat..just too little, too late; and finally 2 B6N2 "Jill" torpedo bombers..widely used throughout the latter part of the war.

The markings all look accurate, rather than hypothetical..I've seen a photo of an A7M in those markings, but the underside color might actually be "prototype orange."

I found a 1/144 kit in a HobbyTown awhile back that showed several B-24s and G4M "Bettys" on the back of the box. Everything was in Japanese, so I asked the clerk exactly what was in the box. He seemed to think there was only one kit, and you wouldn't know which until you opened it.

SN

Welcome to the world of Gashapon ("trading kits"), also sometimes known as "Candy Toys" since most have a piece of candy or gum in the package, which I presume has something to do with Japanese toy and vending laws. Some are better than others -- I've built some straight, and done repaints on others. I have the "Big Bird" series B-17 and B-24 and they're pretty impressive. There's a ton of different product lines, plane, tanks, ships, space, sci-fi, anime and more.