Beginning to build the Kiev-class aircraft carrier

Waterline or?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should I build the carrier:

• Waterline
    • Full-hull

What ever you do, just do it! :bandhead2:

What a cool build!

Oh, which one I voted for? I really can't say as I've never built any ships and found your topic so exciting immediately when I saw it and was looking forward to see the already started build - but you only had a freakin' poll here! :)

well I'll get started on it as soon as I finish the Ka-50 build - which is getting into a painting stage as we speak...

I really love the sharp angle of the Kiev class (and Soviet/Russian) vessels bow. I am thinking a bit about setting it on the display base - afterall it's the sea where the ship belongs, not the stand... But I did get nice brass screwes for it... hard choice :)

oh, did I mentioned she'll be equipped with Gold Medals PE parts? :D

jan, I haven't decided yet - I have the Minsk boxing but Trumpeter also includes decals for all Kiev-class boats. I have to check the references as there were some minor differences between the ships - so I'll just check which one would match the plastic more correctly...

Edited by Sebastijan

I think I'll settle for a compromise - the most work will be with the upper deck anyway, so I'll just try to make a nice displaybase before I attach the lower hull and see how it looks - if it won't look good, I can still attach the lowerhull and put it on stands...

For me , and i only speak for me, Ships look funny if not in the water. It s a model of the real thing and how often do you see a ship out of water? I mean a car/plane or tank can be displayed on thier wheeels/treads and it looks ok. But a ship floats and jamming some pedistals under it only makes it look more like a model, at least to me.

Jim

<...> I really love the sharp angle of the Kiev class (and Soviet/Russian) vessels bow. <...>

Same here! :D Some of them look more like yachts than warships.

Really looking forward to Trumpeter's 1/350 Kirov-class battle cruiser! :D

No idea where I saw this, but I think it was an FSM from a couple years ago. It had a short article on "having it both ways." The guy build a ship full hull, but somehow suspended a sheet of tinted resin around the hull. Very cool looking. I thought it'd be neat to have some divers or a small sub parked nearby.

John

No idea where I saw this, but I think it was an FSM from a couple years ago. It had a short article on "having it both ways." The guy build a ship full hull, but somehow suspended a sheet of tinted resin around the hull. Very cool looking. I thought it'd be neat to have some divers or a small sub parked nearby.

John

It might have been in Shep Paine's second edition of his diorama book for Kalmbach, but I think I recall seeing someone suspending a ballistic missile submarine beneath a sheet of clear plastic, via the periscope and a launching SLBM. Clever idea, especially if you tint the plastic sheet such that, viewed from above, you'd see the periscope, it's wake, the launching missile, and maybe a vague shadow of the boat below. Viewed from the side, you'd see the submarine.

So what do you guys think about Soviet and later Russian Naval Colors? I've resumed building a Trumpeter 1/700 Kirov kit I started a while back. Sometimes, and perhaps in older pictures, Soviet warships seem to wear a blue-ish gray color. More recent pics seem to show something almost "neutral gray" or "Dark Gull Gray." And what do you recommend for that brown/tan for horizontal surfaces?

I agree with Jim... ships looks funny out of water as it's not an image that we conjure in our minds when we think of ships... I suppose that's why we get so awestruck when they are out of water and get a full appreciation of the size of these monsters. That said at the scale we build them at the viseral 'size' appreciation does not exist... even when we put scale people on the deck it's still hard to appreciate the sheer size of these ships. So with all that said I would go for a waterline display ... that's how people 'see' ships on the whole ...

Good luck...

-Greg

Edited by lgl007