1/72 Italeri HRS-1 Finished!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

nice chopper. Have one in my stash too. Got inspired by the example shown in the national USMC Museum. If you're interested in more information about the USMC helicopters in Korea:

WHIRLYBIRDS,

U.S. Marine Helicopters in Korea,

Marines in the Korean War Commemorative Series

available through the US governmental printing office.

Or PM me.

Tobias

SD531606.jpg

Thanks Tobias! Any info you have regarding Marine HRS's in Korea please feel free to send along. :thumbsup:

That photo just confirms my suspicion that HRS-1s did not have the skylight windows on the top of the canopy. I have some other Korean war era images of HRS's that seem to show that they did not have these windows. I also need to get an ADF loop for the top of the canopy as well. Now that I just about have my F-4 done, I can devote some attention back to this project and get it finished off.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you gentleman!

Now that I have finished off my F-4 It's time get this little bird off the bench.

I decided to remove the windows from the top of the canopy and I also added an ADF loop from the spare box to top it off.

It's primed and ready for paint.

HRS-1_bld13.jpg

Painted, now I'll let it sit for a while before I spray the gloss coat in preparation for the decals.

HRS-1_bld14.jpg

I'm hoping to get it finished off this weekend. :wacko:

:thumbsup:

Mark

Thanks guy's! :beer4:

The end is getting closer.

Thanks Patrick, indeed it is, I've been having fun with this one.

I managed to get the decals on today.

HRS-1_bld16.jpg

HRS-1_bld15.jpg

I have the LZ in sight and will be touching down shortly.

:whistle:

Mark

The paint is looking "greyish", not like the blue I remember from the museum helo, is it just the photo?

Tobias

It is always difficult to evaluate specific shades of color from photos, especially on the web, however the photos are a bit warmer than the real deal. Due mainly to the fact I'm lazy and have not set a new custom white balance setting for a new set of lights I'm trying out yet. I used Floquil's "USN Sea Blue" which I found to be an exact match to the color chip in "The Official Monogram US Navy & Marine Corps Aircraft Color Guide" Vol#3 and in person it looks good to me.

Thanks for the input Tobias. I'm putting on the final touches over the weekend and I'll see if I can get a better white balance setting for the final build photos.

:D

Mark

It feels strange finishing a model before the absolute last day of a GB even if it is basic OOB project. I really enjoyed this build. It's a fine little kit and with a little research( Thanks Tank! :rolleyes: ) everything you need to build a USMC HRS is there. I was even surprised at how well the decals worked. I did need to change HRS-2 to a -1 on the tail but that was easy enough. I did have one sad realization though after it was too late to do anything about it. There are what look like reinforcement strips along the tail boom molded on the kit. These strips do not appear on the photo's I have of HRS's. It would have been a simple thing to sand them off had I noticed what was staring me right in the face. As it was I didn't realize until after I had applied the decals. Oh well, it looks close enough for me and looks great sitting next to its "Marine Green" brother the Seahorse.

HRS-1_done1.jpg

HRS-1_done2.jpg

HRS-1_done3.jpg

HRS-1_done4.jpg

HRS-1_done5.jpg

Thanks for all the encouragement and helpful info along the way guy's. I had so much fun and there seems to enough time left I think I may continue on with another 161 bird, except this time it will be a CH-46

Semper Fi,

Mark