I entered an online contest last winter to design a “space fighter†that could be reproduced in 1/72 scale. Assuming that everyone else would design one of those trendy, free-form shapes (like the flying coat hanger style of Andromeda), I went totally retro.

I designed this UFO fighter with the backstory that it’s a 1950’s design intended to combat UFO’s in near Earth orbit. It’s a design based on a combination of WWII German research and Northrop style engineering. It was to be launched on top of a booster and carried a variety of weapons in the ventral pod. It had an internal rocket motor and would return to Earth as a glider after expedning it’s ordnance and dropping the pod.

I was reminded of this model when I noticed that the winning design was now being offered as a kit. Yeah, I didn’t win. Didn’t even make the first cut. Next time, I’m designing a flying coat hanger.

neon1bt2.jpg

neon3gl4.jpg

Now that is incredibly cool :rolleyes: You got the retro styling down quite nicely while still keeping it appearing like an actual fuctional design. It's as if rocket technology had progressed about ten or fifteen years faster/earlier than it did (and, well, there was possibility of alien attack). Beautiful finish, too. I really like the airbrushed shading to represent the panels; quite convincing.

:worship:

Wow..that's stupendous! It really captures the retro look, and hints of WW II German tech are to be seen there, as well as 50s US tech look too. Very very very impressive!

Way better than a flying coat hanger any day!

Al P.

That is cool as snot on a cold Wisconsin morning, left outside overnight in a blizzard!

IE Cool !

I love the look, reminds me of a Buck Rogers set up, simply awsome, need one of those plastic ray guns with the saturn rings that shoots sparks...

Ric

I love that design! Looks like it would be right at home in one of the old Flash Gordon movies. Amazing job! Just because a couple judges didn't place it, doesn't mean it isn't great.

Thanks guys. I do have to say that my entry was RADICALLY different from anything else so I wasn't expecting great things...an honorable mention would have been nice. But, like most model builders, I use a contest as an excuse to build...I don't worry much about how I place.

This model went together very fast. By the time I found out about the contest, there wasn't much time left. I think I did the whole thing from design to photography in about 6 days! And it does look pretty. Sometimes a model just look "right".

When I submitted my entry, there were probably 10 other designs submitted. I thought, "Man, I have a real shot"!. Then, as the deadline neared, entries got up to about 100! It's like an eBay auction with everybody getting in at the last minute. The only real gripe I have is that there were probably only about half a dozen actual models submitted. The rest of the entries were drawn designs...mostly from graphics programs. That was entirely within the contest rules so no foul. Nonetheless, since this was a contest for somthing that could really be "kitted", it was mildly off-putting to lose to a CGI picture.

Please MR. Mig 31, show us your creative work. Put up or shut up!

Why is that a prerequisite for commenting on someone else's work? I have built my own models, but that's beside the point. He said he was limited on time so he put together what he could. While that's commendable I can see how that affected the model. It's really not as impressive as some of the more advanced entrants, and as I said, it's not very inspiring.

THAT'S the winning entry? Not just trying to make you feel good Brent, but seriously...I'd buy a kit of your build before that one (no knock against the gang involved with the Fantastic Plastic release). Ever see Herb Deeks' Flash Gordon stuff? I could see them kitting yours.

I liked entry #5 of those shown on that page, seemed like a lot of them seemed to be variations of a base design. We're multiple entries by one person allowed in the contest?

I like your design, Brent, clean and simple. Hey, as long as you like it, who really cares about other opinions?

We're multiple entries by one person allowed in the contest?

Oh yeah, some guys were cranking them out as fast as their graphics programs could render them. Sort of a shotgun approach. Start with the basic Viper from Battlestar Galactica circa 1978 and see how many ways you can disguise it as something else :deadhorse1: .

Brent,

I think its very inspiring and VERY COOL!! :explode:

It reminds ME of Flash Gordon and something that he may use.

I like the concept and I think the Judges were wearing dark glasses when they were Judging.

Looking at the Winning entry, I definitely prefer your model and I would have made it the Winner. :blink:

The winning entry remids me of an ANT EATER... :o

In MY book YOU ARE THE WINNER!!!

HOLMES..... :salute:

Edited by HOLMES

Hey. I'm just ribbing the competition a bit. Nothing to be taken really seriously. If I got in a real snit everytime I lost, I'd be a very unhappy guy. I've had my butt kicked by a lot of women over the years...I don't worry about a little butt kicking in the model world!

I like old time sci-fi. I'm a fan of silver ships with silver wings. I figure a space ship should look swoopy...and not swoopy like a bicycle helmet :whistle:.

I've scratch built a few classic movie and TV ships and I'll post another one soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Brent, I think you're design was great for what it was - a homage to the retro, and as a scratchbuild, it was cleanly and well executed. Beautiful work! But you were in good company, there were plenty of great designs in that competition, so don't feel too poorly!

Having said this, I was not a fan of the winner, simply because it looks so much like an ugly version of one of my favourite 'space fighter' designs, the Crusher Joe Siren. The kit, and accompanying artwork look great though.

Edited by PetarB

While a bit spiffy looking it's lacking in one thing that most modelers are demanding, detail.

As for the contest, Allen actually preferred illustrations over actual models, as they would have to be re-mastered anyways.

Then there was the whole issue of designs that could be mastered cheaply enough (which is why I made the honorable mentions).

Here's the results.

Honestly I like them both. Yours for its retro feel and the winner for its high tech style.

As a way to find new model designs to put into production, ie, ones that would SELL, the contest is a great idea. I gotta hand that to them. The fact that yours wasnt mainstream enough should in no way detract from the fact that you did a fine job.

Honestly I like them both. Yours for its retro feel and the winner for its high tech style.

Absolutely, and echo that - really like OP's entry which has definite class. Also like the V-47, which is competing in a slightly different arena and is very functionally appealing.

One question though, future modellers, given OP's intent to do a WW2-influenced craft: I just looked at the V-47 pictures, and wonder if anyone else familiar with the Gustav 109 gets a sense of deja vu with the area immediately forward of the cockpit? B)

Patrick

Absolutely, and echo that - really like OP's entry which has definite class. Also like the V-47, which is competing in a slightly different arena and is very functionally appealing.

One question though, future modellers, given OP's intent to do a WW2-influenced craft: I just looked at the V-47 pictures, and wonder if anyone else familiar with the Gustav 109 gets a sense of deja vu with the area immediately forward of the cockpit? ;)

Patrick

With the cheek buldges? Yeah and the exhaust pipes up front. Space Nazi's?