There we go .. All four contact points,

just placed for test fitting, n o glue yet as some minor details need to be worked on.

084_gearslevel.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture

sanding a bit more the mains, turning the sanded flat part of the outrigger on the upper side of the wheel and boring a lower center hole in the main wheels for the axe did the trick

Don't sand

Pleasure Deon, just make sure you address the gear issue early in your build :doh:

On to some custom made decals ...

I can't say the aircraft identification within the RAF is simple :coolio:

But I narrowed my list of possible birds to just a few:

1st sqn Red 09 XV964

1st sqn Red 04 XV752

1st sqn yellow 04 XZ993

4th sqn Yellow M XZ993

4th sqn Yellow K XZ969 (on airfix GR3 decal sheet)

4th sqn Yellow V XW921

XZ993 is an oddity :)

It flew as yellow 04 in the first squadron, then was transferred to 4th squadron as yellow M (or the opposite, I have no idea)

Haven't decided which one to pick so far, the only thing I know for sure is that Red 04 XV752 had indeed been deployed to Norway. Still I like the 4th squadron badge much more.

The only picture of a 4th sqn deployed to Norway I found was for XZ999 tailcode I- but there certainly are others :) I may take an artistic licence on this one.

But here's the prototype of the soon to be printed homemade decalsheet ...

harrier_GR3_1-24.jpg

[edit] Picture updated Feb 23rd for final (for now) A4 decal sheet

It started with the need of the new tailcodes, but then I realized the roundels in the airfix decal sheets aren't perfect. And the 1sqn badge is really over simplified for that scale. the 4th sqn is great on the airfix sheet but it's unusable due to the offset of the white and yellow which messes totally the effect...

Well, I still need to figure out a way to deal with the white (if I go 1sqn) and the lighter colours such as the yellow ... I need to make some tests first

Anyone has a ALPS printer handy ... ?

Edited by Red Dog

thanks guys

Decal sheet is printed...

Here's a rough comparison between the kit decal's and the homemade sheet.

I'm very lucky all those light colors (and white) are placed on white camo paint :)

I might just get away with it :blush:

085_decals.jpg

• 1 month later...

Uhhhh that's fantastic mate!!!!

awesome finished product!

Can you like make a pic with some things we use everyday to compare the size?!?!?

I really have no idea of how big a 1/24 kit could be when built....I know I know....pretty ignorant!!!

CHeeers

:worship:

• 1 month later...
I'm due for an update gents, I can't work on this as much as I want to. My initial plans were to have it finished before 2009 but I'm running late..

Anyway. I feel the hardest part of this build is to close the tow fuselage parts together. lots of planning has to be done to avoid future problems and the lack iof intern details needs to be though of too.

So I decided that the gear doors will remain closed on both the nose gear and the mains.

Usually the mains are closed on the ground anyway. That's not always the case for the front gear doors though, were most GR3 pictures I have seen have the nose gear doors open when the jet is cold.

Well, mine will be closed.

I'm also adding a new airbrake bay which really is too shallow in the kit and really badly done. The new one come from Heritage aviation and is very nice. That will not be easy to fit since you can't access it once you close the fuselage. Maybe a better approach would be to leave it out and insert it from outside once the 2 fuselage are glued together. Not easy, but the joints may be better distributed this way. If you glue the resin tight on one side, you may end up with a tiny gap and the other fuselage side? Anyway, it's pretty minor and nothing a few putty can't solve :thumbsup:

In the meantime, I continued working on the front part. Cockpit is now ready and glued on one side of the fuselage.

It's heavily weathered but I'm happy with the result

The sidewalls are ready too, I have some more PE parts to add under the glareshield on the walls.

The glareshield was heavily detailled but I know I will have problems making the windscreen fit with the heritage aviation resin glareshield. I'll have to find a way

I cut two missing vents on the canopy slope behind the rear seat as I plan on detailling that area once the fuselages are glued together.

Here are two quick pictures of a cockpit dryfit.

027_cockpit.jpg028_cockpit.jpg

Hope to have the fuselage closed before the end of the week end ;)

Hi Red Dog,

What a sensational looking Harrier! Can you please tell me what the base colour was that you used for the cockpit? I'm re-building the 1/24 Harrier GR.1 for a mate (OOB) but the instructions don't say what the cockpit colour is. If you could help me out would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Doppel

Nan, I think I'll make her a nice diorama to sit on first, and probably replace the canopy that I may have screwed when attaching the MDC?

Need to salvage it or replace it