Revell 1-48 F-14B?

The R/M box art is awesome. Depicts 162916, proudly displayed down the road from my house at the Richard J. Gross VFW Post, East Berlin, PA.

BTW, I agree with Brian, just not gonna bite on those uneducated comments about the Tomcat.

Edited by Sig Saur & Son

Box art schmox art- the kit inside, with the exception of one extra sprue, is going to be the old R/M F-14. I somehow doubt they're going to do anything to clean up or improve the molds.

But the price is going to be higher. :thumbsup:

jb

Testing is one thing but doing it is another, what they did to the Tomcat is only a few steps away from DBR training groundframes...

<...>

You stated that hanging bombs from the big cat was unimaginable in the 80s, my pointing out that the Navy was in fact, testing the Tomcat as a serious bomb platform in the 1980s proves that it was very much imagined in that era ...

Gregg

Alright, I'll contribute a tidbit - The F-14 was designed from the very beginning to have the bomb capability. And if the Marine Corps, or some others had bought into the program, that capability would have been exploited long before it was.

Fleet got the bomb mission in 92. VF-51 and -24 (mentioned earlier) weren't doing 'testing'. That was done prior. VF-24 was instrumental in developing fleet tactics. The first use of a fleet squadron to do testing/eval was VF-103 with the Lantirn pod. And while Lantirn gave the fleet the PGM abilities, make no mistake, the Tomcat was a VERY effective bomb platform in the unguided role. Tomcats with visual bombing often scored higher than the Hornets with their PGM in strike/bomb derbies. And when they got cleared for LGB carrying in 94, the buddy lazing concept as well as ground lazing was found to also be very effective. Later it turns out the Tomcat is a much better 'quarterback' for CAS missions than pretty much every other platform out there and has a better laser than the Hornets. Add the Lantirn 40K update in OEF and it became even more powerful.

As for Revell releasing a B. If they re-tooled the jet, it would get my interest but it's the same old molds. Hopefully they clean it up a bit. Add a new sprue. Ala Academy. I'll stick to the Hasegawa Tomcat. I don't think they're nearly as hard as people make them out to be and it meets my needs for detail and 'accuracy'.

-brian

I Apologize for even trying to argue with Electro about the Tomcat's illustrious history, its one of those moments where you just go :blink: and don't even know where to begin. I have a TON of Rev/Mon cats use a lot of them for Whifs, Which they are perfect for having such great overall shape.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Ok, fine, Ill admit Im wrong BUT for me a fighter is a fighter and a bomber a bomber and when you mix the two you get a jack of all king of none situation.

Take the F-111F and F-15C, I think there can be no doubt that they represent the worlds very best at what they do.

Because their rolls were never confused, the pilots always knew what they were there to do and they were/are the worlds best in their field.

I've alway said god help the ARC servers if Trumpeter announces a Tomcat, look at the amount of chaff generated on a announcement of a modification to an existing (and somewhat accepted) kit!

Matt

Edited by Matt Roberts

We have nothing else to discuss here but want to keep the thread fresh. I guess right now we're discussing the practicality of multirole aircraft, as the Bombcat was essentially that. Sort of like the Strike Eagle, except less capable. Overall, its a great concept, since both were great Air-Superiority fighters that happened to have great A2G capability in thier design. Both can carry alot of mud-moving equipment, but still have huge radars and BVR missile capability. When it comes down to a dogfight, they could still mix-it, though the two-person outfit would help there, though by now, without a Tomcat-21 type of upgrade, the Strike Eagle pwns the Tomcat.

I've alway said god help the ARC servers if Trumpeter announces a Tomcat, look at the amount of chaff generated on a announcement of a modification to an existing (and somewhat accepted) kit!

Matt

Would a Trumpeter Tomcat be good or bad? Maybe both. A Cheap, decent Tomcat that requires its cost in parts from Zactoman to be accurate?

I'll stick to the Hasegawa Tomcat. I don't think they're nearly as hard as people make them out to be and it meets my needs for detail and 'accuracy'.

Amen.

In all honesty, a bit of sanding and puttying to make parts fit does not make a model "hard to build." I think what is more correct in terms is "it takes a little bit more patience." To me, what IS "hard to build" is a model that looks off to begin with from the real thing (i.e. the Acad Tomcat's nose). I would have to do something (whether it is buying aftermarket accessories or scratch-building) in order to make it look close to the real thing. I think the RM Tomcat is ok, but I rather use something that is straight-up-down-right-looks-good to begin with... and the Hasegawa kit fulfills that for me. If something is good to begin with, then that means a few extra steps less for me to deal with and that would make it "easier to build."

When I built my first Hasegawa 1/48 Tomcat, I had a false assumption that it was going to be a monster to build. Not so. I found out it was no difference than building the Hasegawa 1/72 Tomcat. The parts are almost identical, except just bigger and more detailed. Yes, there were some parts that required a few more steps, but nothing so horrible that would make the whole process "hard."

I think we all should be excited that Revell is making a new Tomcat with possibly some new sprues in there to update their Tomcat. However, if that is the case and they are not completely retooling their Tomcat (which I highly doubt they are), then Hasegawa have already been providing us a few years ago with a decent complete Tomcat... it just shows that Revell is playing catch-up and they are truly fashionably late to the game... especially when the BIG TOMCAT HYPE is already gone from a few years ago when each Tomcat squadron was retiring one by one.

<_< to all the Revell Tomcat lovers out there!

Edited by raptor22

Colin,

Can't wait to see this scene in 1/48th. Now get to work!

164342F-14DVF-31USN.jpg

164342F-14DVF-31USN-1.jpg

060116-N-7241L-008 Persian Gulf (Jan. 16, 2006) – Fighter Squadron Three One (VF-31), Commanding Officer, Cmdr. Rick Labranche, makes his 1000th arrested landing aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71). Roosevelt and embarked Carrier Air Wing Eight (CVW-8) are currently underway on a regularly scheduled deployment supporting maritime security operations. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate Airman Apprentice Nathan Laird (RELEASED)

Edited by Sig Saur & Son

now it is my turn to say somthing about this i have built only 1 f-14 in my life and that was when i was 11 but i have done so many new models now i think i could attack a hasagwa cat. but the revell F-14 is a perfict place for people to try and build a f-14 with out braking the bank do you even know why the hasagwa cats are so expensive its no the plastic its the white meatl wheel hubs in the kit thats why the kit in are store witch is $70 and hasent sold and we have had it for 3 years

I know I'd like to build at least one Hasegawa Tomcat. I have a diorama in mind. Gonna be a Tomcat landing on the deck and he has just snagged the wire........main gear on the deck but nose gear will still be in the air.

Colin, I would LOVE to see that... I hope you will do it for the Tomcat GB coming up. :thumbsup:

Edited by raptor22
Colin,

Can't wait to see this scene in 1/48th. Now get to work!

164342F-14DVF-31USN.jpg

164342F-14DVF-31USN-1.jpg

060116-N-7241L-008 Persian Gulf (Jan. 16, 2006) – Fighter Squadron Three One (VF-31), Commanding Officer, Cmdr. Rick Labranche, makes his 1000th arrested landing aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71). Roosevelt and embarked Carrier Air Wing Eight (CVW-8) are currently underway on a regularly scheduled deployment supporting maritime security operations. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate Airman Apprentice Nathan Laird (RELEASED)

:deadhorse1: what pics!!

now it is my turn to say somthing about this i have built only 1 f-14 in my life and that was when i was 11 but i have done so many new models now i think i could attack a hasagwa cat. but the revell F-14 is a perfict place for people to try and build a f-14 with out braking the bank do you even know why the hasagwa cats are so expensive its no the plastic its the white meatl wheel hubs in the kit thats why the kit in are store witch is $70 and hasent sold and we have had it for 3 years

Sorry but I disagree with your statement. Its not the "white metal gear" that causes the high price its the brand name and the reputation that comes with that name that you are paying for.

I will agree with Brian about the Hasegawa kit not having much flash on the parts and nice crisp details . The Hasegawa Tomcat isnt difficult to build at all. Out of 30 plus builds I have never had any issues with intakes or general building.

If Revell brings out a B Tomcat thats great. I just hope they did their homework and got rid of that funky nose, the nasty seams, put recessed panel lines on the kit , corrected the engine fairings and a correct cockpit then I might consider buying one.

The cockpit doesn't bother me, as I like putting pilots in and building it gear-up, and I want to try scribing a model, but the seams are what will really put me off.

And if the parts are as warped as the Revell "D" I built I'm going to throw a :thumbsup: .

I think it's refreshing that there is even consideration of a new kit made by a large, reputable manufacturer. It shows that there is still room for growth in a hobby that at times seems to be stagnant and fading in popularity. Just to see a new kit and anticipate all the possiblities, good or bad, is a breath of fresh air to me. The fact that another kit, completely redone or not, is on the horizon, is a signal to us in the modeling community that there is room for growth and the possiblity of newer, better kits in the future. Whichever side of the fence you fall on, I think this is cause for us all to celebrate a step in the right direction. VG

Hasegawa F-14 kits will continue to cost $50 to $80 as long as we keep paying that much for them.

As soon as we stop buying them watch the prices fall like a lead balloon.

Well, are we thier biggest buyer? What about the Japanese market segment? That has to constitute a large portion of thier sales.

Well, are we thier biggest buyer? What about the Japanese market segment? That has to constitute a large portion of thier sales.

It's a close race between the US and Japan. Japanese builders are really into 1/48, while Americans are strectched all over the board, but lean more towards 1/48.