Storing your decals

I put my decals in a "Tupperware" box.

How long are they going to be good for use :lol:

I gues some of my models in my stash are finished in 20 years or so :P , i gues the decals would be useless by then !

Greeeeeeetz,

Luc

Sounds like a good enough way to store them Luc, as I just keep mine in a manila folder in the office. Still, they seem to be doing pretty good after numerous years as the real key is just keeping them away from sunlight and any humidity.

Greg

I put nineteen-year-old Hasegawa decals on my F-4J and all but one worked fine. The one that didn't was my fault. The white was a bit yellow, but then it was Hasegawa, the white's always a bit yellow. I think the key is darkness and a stable temperature. It doesn't really matter what you keep them in, so long as it provides those two conditions. I would, though, counsel against long-term storage in plastic (bags or wallets) unless you have a barrier sheet between them. The glue tends to stick to other plastics over time and can shred the decal as you try to peel it away. The crepe-paper sheets that AIrfix provides are the ideal barrier. IIRC Hasegawa doesn't always provide one.

Sealing each decal in its own zip bag - securely zipped - is THE best method. Plastic boxes are okay, but they usually don't have a really good air-tight seal over the long term, plus there's a lot of air (and humidity) contained in the box along with the decals. The key with decals is keeping them as dry as possible, and keeping them out of the light.

I've used 40+ year old decals with no problem.

J

I have all of my decals sorted by type and stores in paper protectors in a binder...similar to how you find them in the hoobyshop. SWMBO says it looks like I have my own hobbyshop with all the *crap*(her term) I have for my models.

Sean