275 parts for basically a simple airframe.

They must be doing a boatload of weapons or going into extreme detail on engine nozzles and wheel and weapons bay detailing

Keep digging....we still have this Revell 48th F-14B to figure out!

Matt

275 parts for basically a simple airframe.

They must be doing a boatload of weapons or going into extreme detail on engine nozzles and wheel and weapons bay detailing

Keep digging....we still have this Revell 48th F-14B to figure out!

Matt

A boatload of weapons would be nice. You've gotta figure they're putting in at least 6 Slammers, and 2 of each kind of AIM-9. In most kits that could be up to 100 parts right there (missile body, missile endcap, plus 8 fins for each AMRAAM; missile body, missile endcap, plus 8 fins for each Sidewinder.)

Now for some PURE SPECULATION. I'M NOT AT THE NATS, AND HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS KIT IS GOING TO LOOK LIKE!!!

I'd kinda like if they went the way of the Fine Molds Millenium Falcon. That is, keep the major parts (gear and weapon bays) relatively undetailed, but add the wiring, hoses, etc as separate pieces. That way, you could paint them all before assembly, which could make things easier, but could make the fit a little scary. They could also be adding one or 2 full engines, which again, would raise the parts count a lot. Adding both extended and retracted weapon trapezes would also up the part count. I could also see open and closed engine petals, a decal-sandwich instrument panel, multiple pilot heads, positionable control surfaces, etc. Honestly with these possibilities, and with a decent compliment of weapons, 275 parts doesn't sound that outlandish.

I just hope they don't split the main airframe components into like 10 separate parts. I think many modelers will be using metalic paints to finish this Raptor, and the fewer seams, the better. That's one thing Italeri had (almost) right. They kept the main airframe parts big.

I agree with that- keep the main fuselage parts as Top n Bottom. Any more than that, and you run the risk of funky joints, seams to fill and sand, lines to join up, etc. A detailed cockpit, weapons bays, and some good weapons would be the things I'd want to see out of it. Considering there are already aftermarket decals, that's not such a concern to me.

I LOVE the idea of the landing gear having the hoses, etc. as separate components- what a great way to be able to detail them.

jb

Talked to the rep today, it could be released in about three months! He was very apologetic and a little upset that he did not have test shots to display. Also the exhaust nozzles will be positionable.

wait... it's 3 months away, and they don't have some kind of advertisement at the NATIONAL CONVENTION?! This says a couple possibilities to me, both of which are very worrisome:

1.) Academy knows they're putting out a poor product, but it's just barely better than the Italeri, so folks will choose it. They just don't want to listen to all the complaints about the shape being so far off.

2.) They haven't done test shots yet, which means there's no way in hell it'll be released in 3 months.

Of course, this could just be me being pessimistic, which has been known to happen.

Craig (or really, anyone at the convention), ASK HIM MORE QUESTIONS!!! See if he can tell you about some of the stuff brought up on this board.

-Will the airframe be big pieces?

-Where the heck are they getting 275 pieces from?!

-Any word on pricing?

-any other information you can get!!!

Thanks to anyone at the Nats.

wait... it's 3 months away, and they don't have some kind of advertisement at the NATIONAL CONVENTION?! This says a couple possibilities to me, both of which are very worrisome:

1.) Academy knows they're putting out a poor product, but it's just barely better than the Italeri, so folks will choose it. They just don't want to listen to all the complaints about the shape being so far off.

2.) They haven't done test shots yet, which means there's no way in hell it'll be released in 3 months.

Of course, this could just be me being pessimistic, which has been known to happen.

Kinda sounds like the Trumpy 1/32 A-6 routine. Hope not. I really look forward to more kits of the Raptor becoming available. Still hopeing and :) for a 1/32 Tamiya version.

Craig (or really, anyone at the convention), ASK HIM MORE QUESTIONS!!! See if he can tell you about some of the stuff brought up on this board.

-Will the airframe be big pieces?

-Where the heck are they getting 275 pieces from?!

-Any word on pricing?

-any other information you can get!!!

Thanks to anyone at the Nats.

I think you're being pessimistic :soapbox: The rep didn't say they hadn't done test shots- he said he didn't have any to show. I don't know why they wouldn't have sent test shots with him, but it's possible they have them and he didn't have any with him.

Also, he said it "could be" released as soon as 3 months. If we've learned anything from any other manufacturer (kinetic) then we know that things can sometimes get pushed back.

Before we freak out, let's see the test shots. Hopefully we'll all be happy with them, though just knowing some of my comrades on here :blink: I can't see these test shots coming away unscathed...

jb

3. Or maybe they forgot to send the test shots to the rep in time, or they got lost in transport, won't be the first time something like that happened.

I really don't get this attitude, no one has seen anything on this kit except for the announcement and desktop model that were on display at Nuremburg earlier this year. Yet already it's been mentioned that the kit may be of poor quality.

Why don't we wait until the kit is released before this goes any further?

Ken

okay, so since the interest level is so high, I spent some time talking to the rep todAy and going over some of the details, particularly some of the real persnickety details. After a long discussion, pretty much one thing is absolutely certain about this kit:

It will look like a Raptor.

I have to agree....we don't have test shots yet, all we know is that Academy is coming out with a kit. Let's wait until it's actually out before we let lose the hounds to shred the stupid thing to pieces.

Agree.

I was there Thursday afternoon and also assked a lot of questions about the Raptor. The MRC rep was very friendly, but not very forthcoming at all with information. The impression I got was the he didn't know a lot about it and pointed out the placard with the number of parts, but that was about all He said. They did however have some lovely large decal sheets for the Italeri C-130J in USGC markings and V-22 Osprey they were giving away. I don't know how long they lasted, but I'm glad my wife and I went by there at different times. It will save the trouble trying to mask and paint all those orange panels and the blue stripe.

I guess time will tell on the F-22, but I'm already carving up the Italeri Raptor and have lots of resin and photo edge for that one. My Raptor, like the real one is a money pit and loaded with cost overrruns. Another case of art imitating life I suppose.

okay, so since the interest level is so high, I spent some time talking to the rep todAy and going over some of the details, particularly some of the real persnickety details. After a long discussion, pretty much one thing is absolutely certain about this kit:

Ladies and gentlemen, WACO! (wait for applause).

I think he's dead on right about this. It's going to look like a Raptor. My only hope is that it's better and more detailed than the Italeri kit.

jb

I will second what Waco has stated; it will look like a Raptor.

They have adequate references to do the thing up right (sans cockpit for obvious reasons) and I'm hoping that I was able to ping these guys enough to get them to add the SDB along with carriage unit to the kit.

Test shot in about three months time and the tooling is in a state now where it can still be tweaked so I hope our recommendations to them will find their way into the kit.

Marking options are still up in the air but we know which way they're leaning...