Who says Revell won't? They still might and I'm sure the other firms are waiting to see what Academy does to see if they can trump them. And in the case of Tamiya, they still might even come out with one about a month before Academy does as they like to keep their plastic "Skunkworks" department under wraps. But expect to pay an arm and a leg for it, due to the Lockheed Royalties alone.

All things considered, Academy tends to do well with their new tooled stuff. Their 1/72 new tool offerings are good and the 1/32 Hornet did was practically an industry standard (Tamiya stole their Joy on the Viper, but even then the Academy Viper is still good). Most of the stuff that Academy did which one might classify as hit or miss is stuff tooled up over a decade ago and/or other stuff they obtained which they didn't originally tool up (such as the Hobbycraft molds that shouldn't have been sold to them).

If anyone wants to see what the mockup of the Academy kit looks like, I found a link while Googling to pictures taken and placed on Hobby Link Japan.

http://www.hlj.co.jp/hlj_gallery2/v/nuremb...C00040.jpg.html

There's a series of pictures and from what I can say, it does LOOK like a Raptor. If the quality is good, this may convince me to acquire a 1/48 Raptor to add to my stash.

Edited by The_Animal
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I am stationed in Korea and pick this kit up last night. I decided not to open any of the doors or mess with the little cockpit. The kit comes with open or closed doors so you dont have to cut them in half. Academy did do the smart thing and made the body in two halfs and they really go together well. The only place i had fit probelms was around the intakes. Not sure how to add pictures here.