Indian AF Su-30MKIs at Nellis

Indian AF Su-30MKIs arrived at Nellis yesterday morning... :thumbsup:

First group arriving...

rf080608_94web.jpg

First one turned in *really* tight on approach...

rf080608_114web.jpg

Kinda cool to see the inlet doors on the bottom working...

rf080608_119web.jpg

rf080608_126web.jpg

rf080608_130web.jpg

rf080608_138web.jpg

Litening equipped...

rf080608_147web.jpg

rf080608_176web.jpg

In between the groups...

rf080608_190web.jpg

Edited by wakko807
:woot.gif::yahoo: yeeha! man this is the first time that I see a clear shot of a litening pod hanging from a Su-30MKI, and the rest of the pics are just perfect. thanx for posting the dude! you made my day, please keep showing us this beauty during red flag.

now... let the show begin :coolio:

Thanks! They arrived 2 hours later than expected but were definitely worth the wait...don't see those everyday!

Great shots Randy !

I'd bet those are probably the only Su-30MKIs in this country right now... ;)

Thanks for sharing them Sir !

Gregg

Thanks Gregg!

Randy awesome shots on the Indian Flankers! Mind if I ask what camera and lens you used to shoot them? Those shots are great!

Eric

Thanks! I'm using a Canon 40D with a 100-400mm L lens.

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

Hoops

Thanks!

OOOOOHHHHHHHH SWWWEEEEEETTTTTTT!!!!!!!

Nice shots Randy!

Question and I'm sure there's a reason for this: I never understood why many Russian jets have green landing gear wheel rims instead of white? Is it cosmetics? Or some other function???

very very nice shots of MKIs, it will be a nice shot: MKI vs F-15 or F-16 :coolio: :)
Jaw dropping. Thank you so much for posting these!
Those are simply fantastic shots. Thanks for posting them.
These shots are GREAT Randy...
Awesome shots of an equally awesome bird! Thanks for posting!

Nice shots Randy!

Fantastic pic's,love the way you caught the desert lighting the underneath!Nice one. B)

Thanks for sharing.

Jon

Thanks guys! :explode:

Nice shots Randy!

Question and I'm sure there's a reason for this: I never understood why many Russian jets have green landing gear wheel rims instead of white? Is it cosmetics? Or some other function???

I believe this goes back to WW2 where the wheels of aircrafts were produced by factories that made armor. Everything being produced at the armor factories ended up being painted green, and hence the aircraft wheels also. I remember reading it somewhere...a while back.

Nice shots Randy!

I have been interested in Russian aircraft for well over 20 years - and that is a question for which I am still seeking an answer..... :woot.gif:

I have been told - but am unable to confirm - that it is an old artillery colour.

But why it is on the wheel hubs of all Russian jets, I still don't know.

Some Russian bombers - particularly the Tu-95 Bear - have tan-coloured hubs and the Tu-160 has silver - but all(?) others have green.

I asked a Russian crewmember of the Tu-95MS that visited RAF Fairford why all Russian a/c had green wheels - he looked at me as though I was crazy.... :woot.gif:

His reply ? - "Is not significant!".

If you do find an answer - please let me know! :thumbsup:

Ken

PS - I will be visiting the Moscow Aviation Institute in September - I'll try and remember to ask there.....

So, last week I was at Mountain Home AFB for a memorial ceremony in the 391st squadron pub. I was going to turn upside down the patch of an old fighter pilot who recently passed away. I noticed some Indian Air Force pilots walking around base, and turns out the Su-30's were here to fight with the Eagles at Mountain Home. I pleaded and begged, but nobody was allowed to be near or photograph the Su-30's on the base (which could be seen from the flightline), so I was a bit bummed. Luckily enough the closing ceremonies for the week were in process at the officer's club, so we went over there. Everyone was trading patches and the like, and here are my goodies!

P8012572.jpg

Edited by latormentabritanica
Simply WOW!!!

I have a Heller UB.........Ohhh, i am inspired! :whistle:

Thanks!

That's my favourite. :lol:

That was the second one to land...it came in at just the right angle and was a bit slower so he stayed in the "good" light a touch longer. The pilots look like they're looking at you too lol. :)

Simply stunning photography :woo:

And the weather is a little better than when they were at Waddington last year B)

Thanks Nev!

So, last week I was at Mountain Home AFB for a memorial ceremony in the 391st squadron pub. I was going to turn upside down the patch of an old fighter pilot who recently passed away. I noticed some Indian Air Force pilots walking around base, and turns out the Su-30's were here to fight with the Eagles at Mountain Home. I pleaded and begged, but nobody was allowed to be near or photograph the Su-30's on the base (which could be seen from the flightline), so I was a bit bummed. Luckily enough the closing ceremonies for the week were in process at the officer's club, so we went over there. Everyone was trading patches and the like, and here are my goodies!

That's really cool! Now you just have to build a model to go with all your awesome souvenirs...that would be a great display!

Looks like they are flying night sorties all next week for this section of Red Flag

first go for the heavies is at 4pm and the fighters go at 10pm (if I read it correctly)

Makes photographing the fighters a bit challenging! LOL