Indian AF Su-30MKIs at Nellis

Fantastic pics, Randy! Thanks for sharing! :shoot:

Thanks!

Looks like they are flying night sorties all next week for this section of Red Flag

first go for the heavies is at 4pm and the fighters go at 10pm (if I read it correctly)

Makes photographing the fighters a bit challenging! LOL

Yeah I saw that too...I'm hoping it was meant as "heavies taking off at 4pm just BEFORE a round of fighters" with the second mission at 10pm lol. Heck...shooting blue and orange flames with the green glow of slimelights in the dark at ISO 3200 could be entertaining... :rofl:

Thanks!

Yeah I saw that too...I'm hoping it was meant as "heavies taking off at 4pm just BEFORE a round of fighters" with the second mission at 10pm lol. Heck...shooting blue and orange flames with the green glow of slimelights in the dark at ISO 3200 could be entertaining... :shoot:

And maybe THAT was what they meant!

Wonder if I could fit some NVG's over the lens :rofl:

There's some Rafale and MKI arrival pics over on AF.mil. My favorite is this one: LINKY

Let's play "Caption This"...

My entry - "Like oh my GAWD guys, you're doing so super! You should TOTALLY park your big manly jet fighter over there!" I know its hot in Nevada and all France, but seriously... :shoot:

Edited by thetoe17
His reply ? - "Is not significant!".

:nanner: I've had many a Russian talk to me like that. They're a very no-nonsense people, even after they've been "Americanized". Being married to a Russian Jew has taught me this.

BTW, I see that the Indians brought a Midas, I guess for support. I once heard they were going to get a Mainstay. Does anyone know if they ever got any? And if so, did they bring one?

I assume they're going to go up against some Aggressors & some regular USAF units. I'd be interested in hearing the results of the competition. Where is that information published? I never know where to look for it.

Thanks.

Edited by Patman
Simply aweseome shots. Right click and saved!!! Thanks Randy.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Randy,

Were you shooting from the Race Track or the Golf Course side of Nellis?

Makes me want to make reservations for a trip west.

Cheers,

Dave

I was up at the race track...usually don't shoot from there at that time of the morning because you're looking right at the sun but it was the only place to catch their arrival. I'll be back down by the golf course this week to shoot departures in the afternoon...the light is way better there. :woot.gif:

<...> I once heard they were going to get a Mainstay. Does anyone know if they ever got any? And if so, did they bring one? <...>

I think they looked at the A-50 but decided against it, only to look at the aircraft again later, but with an Israeli-made radar this time. IIRC they have three on order.

BTW, I see that the Indians brought a Midas, I guess for support. I once heard they were going to get a Mainstay. Does anyone know if they ever got any? And if so, did they bring one?

I assume they're going to go up against some Aggressors & some regular USAF units. I'd be interested in hearing the results of the competition. Where is that information published? I never know where to look for it.

Thanks.

if the IL-76 is the one with the AWACS impersonater dome on top. i can answer that un equovically no

ill see what i can hear, i dont see the pilots much, but you never know, i might get my chances

Tracker

The Il-76 is the straight transport/sometimes refueling bird, referred to as the "Midas." The AWACS variant based on the same airframe is the A-50 "Mainstay." India has a few 76's already, but my understanding is that the 50's are still on order and not delivered yet.

Cheers

-Hoops

The Il-76 is the straight transport/sometimes refueling bird, referred to as the "Midas." The AWACS variant based on the same airframe is the A-50 "Mainstay." India has a few 76's already, but my understanding is that the 50's are still on order and not delivered yet.

Cheers

-Hoops

Not quite........

The 'Transport' version operated by the Indian AF is the Il-76MD - ASCC Reporting name 'Candid'.

The 'Tanker' is Il-78MKI - ASCC 'Midas' - interestingly, the Indians use Israeli refuelling pods on their Il-78's - the Russians use their qon 'UPAZ' pods.

The final variant of the Il-76 is the A-50EhI (ASCC 'Mainstay') - a Russian airframe with Israeli 'Phalcon' radar. Prototypes are flying, but not yet operational.

The aircraft in Randy Rothaars photo is an Il-76MD Candid.

Ken

And I´ve heard that the IAF´s A-50 have different engines than the regular Il-76. Sorry I don´t know wich ones. :blink:

PS-90 Turbofans... as fitted to this upgraded Il-76MD-90 being upgraded for the Russian AF....

day03_035.jpg

Ken

At least one A-50 is flight testing in Israel prior to delivery.

As for Litening you can get three Lantirn in Hasegawa weapon set #VII in 72nd, which is easily converted to Litening.

Whiles I`m on the subject, I love the pics Randy, and love Flankerman`s build, is Heller the best kit for this type?

Cheers All,

Ian

I finally got to see the Flanker!!! I didn't really get any decent shots, because my point-and-click camera SUCKS major time, but I finally saw in person and flying one of the most beautiful aircraft ever flown: the Su-30MKI Flanker.

Good GOD it's HOT here in Vegas!!! :worship:

Spent day one out between the runways getting shots of the Indians, South Koreans, and the French (and anything else that was flying!)

Heading back out tomorrow

I've decided that when I get back to Kansas that I need to get my head examined because this ain't right!

I got in the car at 6:30pm and it was reading 113 degrees!

What drives us to do this!?!?!?!?!

is Heller the best kit for this type?

Cheers All,

Ian

Yes - in 1:72 scale - except that it is increasingly difficult to find.

Hasegawa only did the single-seater - and the Nakotne/Encore/Berjut/Zvezda re-boxings are rubbish.

In 1:48 scale, the only way to go is the Academy kit.

In 1:32, Trumpeter have just released a Su-27UB.

But for either scale you would have to do the same conversion that I did on my 1:72 scale Heller kit.

Ken