I've been on a P/F-80 kick for a good while now, & as I begin to prep a project, I am dismayed at how LITTLE has been done for this historically significant plane.

One 1/48 kit-out of production. (Monogram)

One 1/72 kit-out of production. (Airfix)

Soon to be one 1/32 kit. (Czech Model)

Also of note, that currently there are no decals or aftermarket sets available save some True Details wheels & bang seats.

I have found two books on the F-80: In-Action Color Series & Osprey F-80 Units of the Korean War.

This was the plane that ushered in the jet age in the U.S. During the early months of Korea it was the main line fighter. It soldiered to the end of the war in the fighter-bomber & recon roles, with unit flying over 63,000 sorties!

Why has this plane been so neglected? It is an astethically pleasing design. The early P-80A's were uniquely painted in pearl gray, the Korean era planes were very brightly painted.

Now that I've said this, and I know once I build my Monogram kit as a P-80, someone will release a nice new 1/48 kit which will require a lot less work that I am going to expend on my kit.

But I digress. So is modelling.

Thanks for reading.

Yes, it is a short list...

HOWEVER... Fox 3 in the US have done a load of aftermarket resin for the F-80 in both 1/48 and 1/72, including all of the different fuel tank types, and the camera nose for the RF-80...

I thought I had a link for Fox 3, but can't find it now. Do they have a URL? I can find Fox 3 Photography (Beee-oooo-ti-full aircraft photos by the way), but nothing for aftermarket bits.

Send and inquiry to gmasher(at)netzero(dot)net and you should get a pdf page back with products, availability and pricing as well as payment info. I have his P-80A conversion set and it looks not so bad. I also have his T-33 correction set but was holding off building it because of the pending Special Hobby T-33; which now seems to have evaporated.

Rick L.

I've been on a P/F-80 kick for a good while now, & as I begin to prep a project, I am dismayed at how LITTLE has been done for this historically significant plane.

One 1/48 kit-out of production. (Monogram)

One 1/72 kit-out of production. (Airfix)

Soon to be one 1/32 kit. (Czech Model)

Also of note, that currently there are no decals or aftermarket sets available save some True Details wheels & bang seats.

I have found two books on the F-80: In-Action Color Series & Osprey F-80 Units of the Korean War.

This was the plane that ushered in the jet age in the U.S. During the early months of Korea it was the main line fighter. It soldiered to the end of the war in the fighter-bomber & recon roles, with unit flying over 63,000 sorties!

Why has this plane been so neglected? It is an astethically pleasing design. The early P-80A's were uniquely painted in pearl gray, the Korean era planes were very brightly painted.

Now that I've said this, and I know once I build my Monogram kit as a P-80, someone will release a nice new 1/48 kit which will require a lot less work that I am going to expend on my kit.

But I digress. So is modelling.

Thanks for reading.

I couldn't agree more!

Here is a photo of a Hobbycraft T-33 converted to an F-80. I know, the question is: "WHY"?

Just because....

F80front.jpg

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/hairoldcut/?start=100

Hey Spaced, I have been tinkering with the F-80/T-33/F-94 series for some time. I have a good collection of references now. I started a 'pit for the F-80 last year, however, I stopped when the SH was to come out. I think I just might drag it out and see what I need to finish it.

Cheers,

Harold

Yaaaaaay Harold!

I pulled my bits and pieces out of the closet.

I have the 'pit tub mocked up, the seat is half finished. Otherwise, it needs a gun sight, joystick, IP, sidewalls, rear deck. Other than that it is ready to go.

Piece of cake!

(NOT)

There is a RF-80 nose (and decals) from C&H Aero Miniatures.

http://www.candhaerominiatures.com/catalog/rf80.htm

I have two Monogram kits in the stash, and would like to do one as an RF-80, but $19 for a such a small conversion seems a bit steep.

Anyway, it's available.

:thumbsup:

Mike

It isn't easy to do conversions. It takes a lot of work (time)

Material (RTV, resin)

I know what it takes...$19 is about right.

However, I have one of the conversions. It is rough. It apears to me that they have used up the mold and need to make a new one.

Give the guys a call and ask about it. They are good guys, and will work with you.

I know not every kit can get the deluxe treatment, but I can dream.

I just have a soft spot for this plane, and to have something the quality of the Tamiya Viper would make my day. I'd have a whole wing of them in my basement.

This is one plane that should be from Tamiya...

With a lot of sweet resin to go with it.

It isn't easy to do conversions. It takes a lot of work (time)

Material (RTV, resin)

I know what it takes...$19 is about right.

Hi Harold,

My statement was more along the lines of my own bank account size at the moment! If I have $27 for models (which isn't often) I usually buy another whole kit. But you're right...I don't have any experience in this area.

However, I have one of the conversions. It is rough. It apears to me that they have used up the mold and need to make a new one.

Give the guys a call and ask about it. They are good guys, and will work with you.

Thanks for this info!

:shoot:

Mike

Hi Harold,

My statement was more along the lines of my own bank account size at the moment! If I have $27 for models (which isn't often) I usually buy another whole kit. But you're right...I don't have any experience in this area.

Thanks for this info!

:shoot:

Mike

I know what you mean. I no longer can spend much on my own modeling.

IF the resin is truly a good replacement, and not junk, I would consider it. However, if the resin isn't up to some kind of standard, I think it is just money wasted. So, I test my skills at scratch building.

Other than the Monogram kit. There are no good kits for the F-80 right now.

The Monogram kit is a very good kit, the older boxings especially since they have little to no flash & warping present on the mid-nineties re-pops. Considering all other kits on the market in 1977, the Monogram F-80 had to have been the cream of the crop. The shape is spot on, and apart from a somewhat basic cockpit, the other details are very good. (take a look in the main gear bay if you get a chance). Now, 31 years later, it is still nice kit. But the state of the art has changed dramatically in 31 years. If Tamiya did a P/F-80, I can only imagine the goodies it would possess. Nice petite panel lines, interchangeable nose caps to have the P-80A landing light & gun radar nose, cockpit with bucket metal seat & Lockheed bang-seat, all three major styles of tip tanks, so on and so forth.

At least since I am doing a gray ghost P-80A, the Monogram kit is well suited. Those P-80s had their rivets ground flush, the seams puttied & sanded, and a baked on coat of gloss pearl gray, a color similar to Aircraft Gray, but without the blue tint! So those raised panel lines get sanded down.

A Tamiya F-80 would be nice...

I guess I am dreaming now...