Su-25, amaizing video.

To think it not only came back, but taxied to the parking spot - under its own power! :woot.gif: :wacko:

Gotta love the Grach. :thumbsup:

Regarding the video, I think it's a recent event, probably one of the Chechen Wars. The surroundings didn't look like Afghanistan and the look of the whole video was pretty "consistent", so I think the date may well apply for the complete video.

And he even brought the bombs back!? Incredible! The bean counters must love him!

If i remember correctly, due to that he was hit in the...uhh...***, he could not drop the bombs, because of electric malfunction.

stingers had a habit of going for the hottest point on the exhaust: the rim...often damaging the engine , but no knocking out the aircraft. After modded su-25s appeared with better fire suppression..not a single grach was lost to a stinger.

At 1:52 into the video, you see a guy in his boxer shorts...

If you're gonna be hauling a nuclear weapon that can possibly kill thousands of people, couldnt you at least wear pants???

P.S. I know, it's not really a nuclear bomb...

And he even brought the bombs back!? Incredible! The bean counters must love him!

The photo of the Su-25 with the bombs on the racks is from the Afghan war.

The story is in Ildar Bedretdinov's definitive Su-25 book.......

"On 28 July 1987, A.I. Obyedkov who had piloted a plane with serial number 2550808033 (side number 23) managed to land it regardless of the fire that had engulfed the engine compartment after the plane was hit in the starboard engine by a (Stinger) missile"

There's lots more ...... but..

"A ground survey of the aircraft revealed that the elevator and rudder control rods were 95 percent burnt out..... A.I. Obyedkov's plane was transported by an Il-76 to the Sukhoi design bureau's flight-test facility in Zhukovsky to determine how the Stinger man-portable SAM affected the enhanced survivability aircraft"

Ken

I was fascinated by what I guess are speed brakes on the end of the wings. Those things just kept opening out. I was half expecting the ground apes to pull up chairs and start eating lunch on them!

Pretty cool vid. I wonder what the Georgians think of them...

• 1 month later...
What pilots go through to keep the ABDR guys occupied......... :)

It would be interesting to know if they change engine (the first pictures in my newest post) how they do it...That enginearea shows rivets, rivets and rivets...

<...>I wonder what the Georgians think of them...

They dont like them... :worship:

Oh yes, they do!

Taken at the National Day parade on the 26th of May 2007 by my father in Tbilisi.

GeorgienSu-25Ausschnitt1.jpg

GeorgienSu-25Ausschnitt2.jpg

GeorgienSu-25Ausschnitt3.jpg

I wonder how many are left? :woot.gif:

Edited by ChernayaAkula

been hunting for pics...but has been next to impossible to find..

I think its probable that most/all su-25s have been destroyed......after digging i found last reports of geo af activity mentioned hinds - of which i suspect a few probably survived....all main air bases were bombed repeatedly...including Marneuli where su-25s were, so i would say the outlook issnt good

Edited by Raymond
been hunting for pics...but has been next to impossible to find..

I think its probable that most/all su-25s have been destroyed......after digging i found last reports of geo af activity mentioned hinds - of which i suspect a few probably survived....all main air bases were bombed repeatedly...including Marneuli where su-25s were, so i would say the outlook issnt good

I'm given to understand that the GeAF Su-25s were also dispersed to Alekseevka, which was well defended with SAMs, and other airfields. Even by Russian accounts, the GeAF acquitted itself well, in contrast to the ground forces.

Our pal Dr. Toperczer of the Hungarian AF visited Alekseevka last July during the NATO 'Cooperative Chance 07' exercise and took some very nice pictures for our decal sheet. the GeAF Su-25 pseudo-NATO mods were quite apparent then (e.g. GPS bumps on the spine, etc.).

The 'Police' tags on the GeAF Mi-8MTs (as featured on our decal sheet) were however not NATO PfP sanctioned. These were used in upper Abkhazia in 2006/7 as a 'peacekeeping' counterweight to the Russian 'peacekeeping' forces in lower Abkhazia, whose helicopters were tagged with the Russian 'MC' peacekeeper designation.

Edited by Linden Hill

hiya linden

interesting information!....the other possiblilty being the su-25s stopped flying in order to preserve them /benifit they bought to the battlefield wassnt worth the cost?

will be interesting to find out more on, as fixed wing activity from the geo af def did trail off later though the conflict...and if going from georgian sources 3 su-25s were cobnfirmed destroyed on the ground.

im interested in your thoughts as to the level of "NATOisation" of their frogfeet? last pic i saw i picked out 5-7 modded ac IIRC.....i wondered if these ac going the full 'skorpion' deal or just some minor additions?

regards