ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mudrat

Longhorn 02 HH-1N NAS Fallon, NV

The bird. I had to illustrate the rotors in motion in order to maximize the profile size on the printed sheet.

HH1N.jpg

The detail crop

HH1Ndetail.jpg

Regards,

Stephen

Edited by mudrat

Good to see you back at it Stephen. Beautiful detail work and the turning rotors and pilot are great additions.

Hmmm.... that looks vaguely familiar...

I had WONDERED where he found a Longhorn print!

Nice one! Do you mind sharing a little bit about how you did the rotors?

Koen

Thanks all! The rotors were freehand airbrushed (the rotor(s) tip had a mask applied) in PS.

I was sent Longhorn 02 walkaround photos from Lt Mark Aid (attached to NAS Fallon). The Profile illustration

was a retirement gift for Cdr Doug Russell, XO of NAS Fallon, NV commissioned by his wife.

Regards,

Stephen

Thanks all! The rotors were freehand airbrushed (the rotor(s) tip had a mask applied) in PS.

I was sent Longhorn 02 walkaround photos from Lt Mark Aid (attached to NAS Fallon). The Profile illustration

was a retirement gift for Cdr Doug Russell, XO of NAS Fallon, NV commissioned by his wife.

Regards,

Stephen

Got to see it up close after his retirement reception in the club (someone had mentioned free beer!). Looks terrific in person.

Got to see it up close after his retirement reception in the club (someone had mentioned free beer!). Looks terrific in person.

Small world. I was just sent a photo of the 2nd print that was hung in the O club. Thank you for the compliment.

(Really difficult to decline free beer.)

Regards,

Stephen

Small world. I was just sent a photo of the 2nd print that was hung in the O club. Thank you for the compliment.

(Really difficult to decline free beer.)

Regards,

Stephen

I was just there again tonight - I did not know there were TWO prints - VERY COOL. The second occupies a very conspicuous place... and as we speak, an entire air wing of aviators gets to see your work for the next month!

For me, I have a hard enough time declining COLD beer, let alone FREE beer! :thumbsup:

Ahhh that makes sense. Don't wanna get blown away right before you get rescued!

With the winds (and terrain) around here, one would hope the rescue-ee would have abandoned his chute long before the helo showed up...

@mudrat

Just found this! This is a cherished piece of artwork that hangs in a place of honor in my home. Amazing work, can't thank you enough for the awesomeness of this momento from my time in the Navy!

v/r

CDR Doug Russell, USN RET.

Edited by Doug Russell

I just found this as well, and the artwork is superb! The detail and well everything from the spinning rotors to the sheen on the metal is phenomenal!