V-22 No Flame Wars Please - Just some quick q's

Picked up the Italeri 1/48 scale kit today of the Osprey and looks great in the box so far (looks like a V-22). I was wondering about a couple of things, firstly being how inaccurate/accurate can it be made up to the current versions flying?? Also I noticed that some pics the airframes have refueling "booms" and some don't. What gives on that one??

Also I thought I read somewhere on here that someones was doing/thinking of an update set for the kit??

Any recommendations on where to start and look for some possible add-ons or good reference shots??

Thanks for any help on this one folks!

Tricose :)

Picked up the Italeri 1/48 scale kit today of the Osprey and looks great in the box so far (looks like a V-22). I was wondering about a couple of things, firstly being how inaccurate/accurate can it be made up to the current versions flying?? Also I noticed that some pics the airframes have refueling "booms" and some don't. What gives on that one??

Also I thought I read somewhere on here that someones was doing/thinking of an update set for the kit??

Any recommendations on where to start and look for some possible add-ons or good reference shots??

Thanks for any help on this one folks!

Tricose :)

flying leatherneck decals has a nice CD walkaround i believe and will be coming out with some nice decals. is that still accurate Dave?

semper fi

Dan

The one that I got to see at CAM was boomless - but they did remark that one was to be fitted before they deployed.

CH46058.jpg

Tricose,

Here is the Feb 2006 issue of Rotorbreeze, Bell Textron's publication on it's products. There's a writeup on the V-22 as well as Marine Cobas and the delivery of the first UH-1Y's and AH-1Z's to the Marines. Enjoy!

Ray

Rotorbreeze Feb 2006

Edited by rotorwash
Dan,

Yes on both accounts. I usually don't pawn off my own products when answering questions about specific aircraft.....kind of why I didn't mention the CD.

Dave

I figured that Dave that's why i decided i'd toot your horn for you. by the way the walkaround are excellent as i have his 53E walkaround and the shots are very helpful and crisp.

Semper Fi

Dan

My intent is not to hijack this thread, but I did have a question about a V-22 product that I saw from someone's photos from Nats (Arkhunter).

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa228/a...08/IMG_0307.jpg

Is this a sheet of decals that you could only get at Nats or something?

For my lack of knowledge, is there a huge difference between a USAF and a USMC Osprey?

Thanks.

JED

My intent is not to hijack this thread, but I did have a question about a V-22 product that I saw from someone's photos from Nats (Arkhunter).

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa228/a...08/IMG_0307.jpg

Is this a sheet of decals that you could only get at Nats or something?

For my lack of knowledge, is there a huge difference between a USAF and a USMC Osprey?

Thanks.

JED

My basic understanding is they are the same but AF has different electronic equipment (different bumps) and the radar radome on the nose.

So I've looked into the Royale Resin bits and will definately be getting a set of wheels for this kit. Also waiting to see what transpires with the "update" sets mentioned earlier. As for now just trying to build a reference database with some pics so if anyone wants to help me by maybe showing a few here on ARC it will be greatly appreciated - funds are tight for buying large references right now!

Thanks again for the help!

Tricose :thumbsup:

Hi Guys,

Sets are in progress, but I have just been too busy this first part of the year to get anything done. If somebody wants to come over and help me install my wood floors that would help :banana: Seriously though, the set I am working on now will be a set of replacement rotor blades and hubs. I'm just trying to work out how to make it so that it can be cast easily. Hoefully I will be able to post some in-progress shots soon.

Cheers,

-Doug :thumbsup:

Great News - will be watching for an update.

Tricose :whistle:

Hi Guys,

Sets are in progress, but I have just been too busy this first part of the year to get anything done. If somebody wants to come over and help me install my wood floors that would help :P Seriously though, the set I am working on now will be a set of replacement rotor blades and hubs. I'm just trying to work out how to make it so that it can be cast easily. Hoefully I will be able to post some in-progress shots soon.

Cheers,

-Doug :whistle:

Tricose - four things that really should be done to the Italeri kit for starters, and I am going to assume you have the newest release (box art of a gray USMC Osprey):

1. there are some antennas on the fuselage sides, flat plates that stick straight out and are covered by what look like boxy scoops. Remove the plates and do not install the "scoops". That system, and I forget what it was, ended up not being installed on production aircraft.

2. There is a large hump in the upper wing piece, right in the middle. This needs to be removed entirely and the upper surface made smooth and flat. You will make a big hole in the wing, so I would advise just going ahead and cutting the hump off with a router if you have one, backing the hole with sheet, filling it in with more sheet cut to shape, puttying over and sanding smooth.

3. There is also a hump on top of the horizontal stab/elevator. The hump on the stab should be there, but the upper surface of the elevator should be smooth from tip to tip. Good news, the plastic is thick enough to take reshaping without going through. Cut down through the hump along the hinge line to establish the boundary first, carve/sand off the hump on the elevator, then reshape the trailing edge of the hump on the stab so that it tapers down to meet the new hinge line.

4. The "lumps" on the wingtip leading edges that the nacelle actuators retract into look much too small. Build them up with putty, looking at pics for guidance.

Oh, and minor bug: in the center of the front panel coaming there are 3 or 4 "fingers" that extend back into the cockpit. Cut those off, that is another prototype feature.

Flame Wars!!!!!!!!

F the V-22 :thumbsup:

Now it's a V-22 thread.

3...2...1...aaaaaannnnnnddddd FIGHT'S ON!

Would love to see some update/accurizing AM sets for this kit, as I have plans to build many, many versions.