I’m a big fan of all the Irwin Allen shows and I wanted to do a scratchbuild of one of the vessels. I ordered Seaview plans…and they were useless. They looked like scaled up amateur drawings of the Aurora kit. Lost in Space is my favorite show but there were already plenty of LIS vehicles available. The SPINDRIFT from Land of the Giants won almost by default. Ironically, I haven’t seen the show in 38 years and I have few specific memories of it. It’s the only Allen show I don’t own on DVD (too expensive).

But the ship is gorgeous and I thought it would be a great project. It was a very involved undertaking and there are too many details for one post. Here’s the condensed version. I got three sets of plans and “averaged†them to make my own drawings. Construction was primarily common insulation foam covered with a couple of layers of fiberglass and epoxy resin. Some wooden framing was used. Virtually every component was scratch built including the dome which I vacuformed myself. Paint was auto touch-up lacquer from spray cans.

As I recall, it’s about 38†long. I built is about 2, maybe 3 years ago.

hs1uh7.jpg

hs2fb2.jpg

hs3lj5.jpg

Rusty, I'm "this close" to acquiring the Moebius Seaview (I took at look at your sprue shot thread). At the moment, I'm still mulling over options...since I'm in Canada and local shops have dried up. But it may be only hours until I have the issue resolved. I don't mean to sound cryptic but whenever I open my mouth too early, something usually goes wrong like an item being out of stock.

I'm at the point where I don't a rat's behind about continuity problems bewteen various Irwin Allen miniatures and full size sets. The Spindrift was crazy. the Two main miniatures didn't match each other and then didn't match the full size set by a country mile. My Spindrfit is basically "studio scale" but it doesn't match the 38" miniature. It's patterned more closely on the full size set.

Irwin Allen stuff is all over the map and we just have to learn to live with it.

FLASH: Dave Metzner with Moebius confirms a 1/32 scale Flying Sub model is in development.

I think 1/32 scale would make it about 12" across.

I haven't really investigated the specs but I look at this way. The average diameter ofa U.S. sub at the time the Seaview was designed was 33'. The Seaview is about in proportion to a normal sub. Given that the Flying Sub would fit inside the Seaview, near the wider forward fins, I would figure it to be 32' across. So figure a 1/32 model to be a foot across...give or take.

Yeah, that screen cap WOULD have been handy a week ago. Oh well. As I've said, I try to be accurate but it's not practical to screen every episode looking for every possible view.

I expect your grandkids will never asked about the days when color TV was new...because they'll probably have no concept that B&W ever existed!

Funny thing, I'm NOT a fan of Star Trek (it's been done to death) but I actually own the first season on HD DVD so I watch it in high defintion on a 51" HDTV. Oh, I also have a Blu-ray player but a Blu-ray version hasn't been released yet. The great irony is that most of the classic shows (including the Irwin Allen stuff) were shot on 35mm film and can be transferred in high defintion. But some of the later shows in the 70's and following years were direct to tape and can never be seen in true HD. In fact, at one time, Image Entertainment said that THE TWILIGHT ZONE would be getting a high definition release (no date yet).

As for TIME TUNNEL, I've thought about modeling that myself for the obvious reason that it hasn't been kitted. But, ya' know, I can't help but think that Moebius has something up their sleeves. Moebius currently has a license for all of the Irwin Allen TV properties. The "Fantasy World's of Irwin Allen" logo that you see on the boxes is trademarked by Synthesis Entertainment which is the licensing arm for the Allen properties. Synthesis was formed by Kevin Burns and Jon Jasni (Burns is a huge Irwin Allen fan and his name is attached as a producer to almost everything related to Allen...including the DVDs). This is currently the one, big TV license that Moebius has and they seem intent on exploiting it. Note the release in rapid succesion of the Seaview, Pod, Chariot, upcoming Flying Sub and their statement that they have a couple of other Irwin Allen projects in works (and they say the Spindrift is not high on the list). Could they release the first injection molded Time Tunnel kit?

Oh...my Space Pod (first Space Pod) is locked away in it's display case so I won't worry about any modifications to the interior color (Ill post a pic in the Space Pod Thread).

I expect your grandkids will never asked about the days when color TV was new...because they'll probably have no concept that B&W ever existed!

Funny thing, I'm NOT a fan of Star Trek (it's been done to death) but I actually own the first season on HD DVD so I watch it in high defintion on a 51" HDTV. Oh, I also have a Blu-ray player but a Blu-ray version hasn't been released yet. The great irony is that most of the classic shows (including the Irwin Allen stuff) were shot on 35mm film and can be transferred in high defintion. But some of the later shows in the 70's and following years were direct to tape and can never be seen in true HD. In fact, at one time, Image Entertainment said that THE TWILIGHT ZONE would be getting a high definition release (no date yet).

As for TIME TUNNEL, I've thought about modeling that myself for the obvious reason that it hasn't been kitted. But, ya' know, I can't help but think that Moebius has something up their sleeves. Moebius currently has a license for all of the Irwin Allen TV properties. The "Fantasy World's of Irwin Allen" logo that you see on the boxes is trademarked by Synthesis Entertainment which is the licensing arm for the Allen properties. Synthesis was formed by Kevin Burns and Jon Jasni (Burns is a huge Irwin Allen fan and his name is attached as a producer to almost everything related to Allen...including the DVDs). This is currently the one, big TV license that Moebius has and they seem intent on exploiting it. Note the release in rapid succesion of the Seaview, Pod, Chariot, upcoming Flying Sub and their statement that they have a couple of other Irwin Allen projects in works (and they say the Spindrift is not high on the list). Could they release the first injection molded Time Tunnel kit?

Oh...my Space Pod (first Space Pod) is locked away in it's display case so I won't worry about any modifications to the interior color (Ill post a pic in the Space Pod Thread).

Is this the Kevin Burns you are referring to:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0122745/

Jose