VMFA(AW)-121 "Combat 14" Fast FAC "Desert Storm"

I have been wanting to build a model of a VMFA(AW)121 F/A-18D during the Green Knights first deployment in the Delta and the F/A-18D's combat debut during "Operation Desert Storm" since 1991. I think it's about time I got around to it.

Actually this will be the first build in a series of builds that I am planning covering the evolution of VMF-121 (F4F-4 Wildcat WWII) to VMA-121(A-4E Viet Nam) to VMFA(AW)121(F/A-18D Desert Storm). The next build will be an A-4E for the "Gone But Not Forgotten" GB.

Here's what I'm starting with.

F-18D_build1b.jpg

I'll have some in progress pic's in a couple of days.

Happy modeling,

Mark

Edited by Rampage55

Thanks Gentleman!!! :banana:

Tank,

I believe you are correct. I don't remember seeing any ATAR's birds until well after Desert Storm, however I picked this BB set up cheap, minus the ATAR's nose piece, so I will be using just the cockpits and shroud, depicting a standard configuration.

Here is what I have so far, the construction is fairly straight forward and I had this done in an evening of cutting, fitting and gluing. It was quite satisfying actually.

F-18D_build2.jpg

I was relieved to find the nose piece fit so well.

F-18D_build3.jpg

The cockpits are dry fit to check placement. I will be adding the painted cockpits after the model has been painted.

F-18D_build4.jpg

The tricky bit will be the side panels. I have not dry fit these yet as they are to delicate.

F-18D_build5.jpg

Here's one of the Verlinden seats and the center shroud dry fit as well to check placement.

F-18D_build6.jpg

Semper Fi, :thumbsup:

Mark

Cheers guy's!!! I appreciate the kind encouragement.

Dave,

Rodger that loadout info, I have only one pic showing a 121 Hornet during ODS and that is the same load it was carring. It's good to know there was no variation to that.

Thanks,

Mark

• 5 weeks later...
pic's?

:P

semper fi

Dan

Sorry bro, not much to show at the moment. I have tweaked the air frame a bit and got the intake's and covers sorted out but that is about it. This build has taken a bit of a back seat until I get my F-4 finished up. Then I have my little egg beater waiting in the back of the hanger to be finished off as well.

I am planning on using those LAU tubes you sent me for this build though. :deadhorse1:

Stay tuned!

Semper Fi,

Mark

• 1 month later...

With less than a month left to go I thought I better get going on this project.

The airframe has had all the various parts added and is ready for the paint barn.

F-18D_build7.jpg

I left off the main flaps to make it easier to paint.

F-18D_build8.jpg

I didn't like where the instructions indicate where you were to attach the bumps behind the cockpit. They look too far forward and too low so I moved mine back and up a bit.

F-18D_build9.jpg

Under wing pylons and stores almost ready to paint.

F-18D_build10.jpg

I drilled the rocket tubes out on the LAU's so I could add slightly longer ones made from plastic rod that I spun in a Dremel tool to get the right shape.

F-18D_build11.jpg

I have the cockpit's just about finished painting and will post pic's of those soon. I hope to get to painting the rest sometime this week. It's going to be a pinch but I think I'll be able to get it finished by deadline.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

Looking Good Mark, Waiting for this Fac to Mark some targets!!!!!!

Thanks Bro. :deadhorse1:

And there's no problem fitting the cockpit parts after assembling the fuselage?

Jens

Nope, they fit like a glove. I have test fit repeatedly to make sure they would. This is a trick I pick up from Dave aka "Tomcat Tweeker" during the USMC GB last year and I think he picked it up from Dave Roof.

I started painting last nite and hope to have an update soon.

:rofl:

Mark

A few steps forward were made over the weekend on this project.

Primed and preshaded, I'm still trying to get the hang of using a double action airbrush. At least it's an improvement over my last effort.

F-18D_build13.jpg

The photo-etch HUD frame has been attached and I test fit the painted front cockpit one last time.

F-18D_build14.jpg

The second pit and IP coaming have also been test fit.

F-18D_build15.jpg

There is a raised band on the LAU tubes that needs to be sanded off.

Before;

F-18D_build12.jpg

After:

F-18D_build16.jpg

Right now I'm working on the landing gear and hope to finish the painting soon.

:rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get on a bit of a roll with this build over the course of this past week, unfortunately I didn't stop to take many photos. I'm feeling the deadline looming and as usual for me, it's looking to be a last moment finish. I really enjoyed getting the hang of subtle panel fading with the double action airbrush. I have a long way to go but I pleased with my results so far.

Paint, clear coat, wash, clear coat, then, it's time for my favorite part ..... Decaling!!! :rolleyes:

F-18D_build17.jpg

I've been using a mixture of decals. Some of the kits decals were used for the stencils. SuperScale decals for the nat. insg. and sqdn markings. MAW Decals Formation Lights sheet was used for the slime lights and I pinched a few stencils and vent decals from a MAW F-18D sheet I have also.

F-18D_build18.jpg

After the decals have been sealed with a dullcoat I'll try my hand at fading the decals a bit with a tinted clear coat, particularly the walkway areas. I've been reluctant in the past to do this for fear of messing things up at this late stage but the fresh looking decals really don't suite the look I'm hoping to achieve with this build.

:worship:

Mark

Very cool Dave!!! Looks like I guessed right on which color "MARINES" to apply as some had them dark gray and others seem to have had the light gray. It also looks like this A/C has a tan nose, another detail that seems to be on some A/C and not on others. Thanks again, this photo has been very helpful indeed.

Semper Fi,

Mark

Thanks Benner!!! :)

It's good to hear from you. I had originally planned to do this build for the "Desert Storm GB" last year but realized I didn't have all the bits I needed to pull it off back then.

:)

Mark