VMFA(AW)-121 "Combat 14" Fast FAC "Desert Storm"

Looking good in those markings.

Thanks! I agree. I'm pleased with the way this has turned out so far.

She's up on her legs

F-18D_build20.jpg

After toning down the decals with a tinted dull coat I applied a clear dull coat overall. Then it was the moment of truth. I must confess it was a bit strange to be at this stage of the project and not have the cockpit installed or canopy attached. Repeated dry fitting ensured that there were no issues when it cane time to fit the cockpit assembly's

F-18D_build21.jpg

Although I did manage to loose the glass from my HUD in the process but all in it work out as planned. I still need to paint the canopy sills and a few other little touch ups.

F-18D_build22.jpg

The burner cans.

F-18D_build23.jpg

Thanks to Dan(Marine4ever) for the LAU tubes. I may have made the rockets a little too long.

F-18D_build24.jpg

I'm on final approach and it looks like I just may squeak it in by the deadline.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

Well here it is. Finished, and with a few hour's left to spare too.

F-18D_121_01.jpg

F-18D_121_02.jpg

F-18D_121_03.jpg

F-18D_121_04.jpg

F-18D_121_05.jpg

F-18D_121_06.jpg

F-18D_121_07.jpg

F-18D_121_08.jpg

I would like to thank a couple of brother Marines for their assistance during this build. Dan (Marine4ever) for sending me the LAU tubes and Dave Roof for his help with the proper loadout info and providing me with a photo of the actual bird he took during Desert Storm that was very helpful in getting some of the details correct for this specific aircraft.

Thanks for a fun GB. There were some outstanding builds turned in and it was fun building with you all.

Semper Fi,

Mark

Looks great! nicely done :)

Thanks John. :whistle:

Excellent build! Thanks for posting the photos. I am currently working on a "little brother" for this one. 1/72 Combat 11

Thanks again,

Ken

Thanks Ken. I'm looking forward to seeing your "Combat 11" :popcorn:

fantastic looking Hornet ! Hope mine turns out as well as yours.

one question, what color did you use for the rocket pods?

Thanks Benner. I've seen what you can create and I'm quite sure it will be a stunner. :wave:

The LAU's were painted white and then dulled down a bit with the grey tinted dull coat I used on the rest of the aircraft. I also painted the front and back of the tubes a steel color.

Thanks again guy's. :P

Mark

Mark

Stellar Work Devil Dog!!

Thanks Eugene! Now I can get back to work on my "Green Knight" A-4E for the GBNF GB

OORAH! Mark that's one sweet looking Bug!

semper fi

Dan

Thanks Bro! I couldn't have done it without a little help from my friends.

Semper Fi,

Mark