F-15C Build (4/3/11 Update) Finished

With the recent release of Jake's new book on the F-15 The Modern eagle Guide, I finally had the information I needed/wanted to start my F-15 build. As noted over on the jet modeling forum, there are many opinions regarding which 1/48 kit is the "best" starting point. The kit bashing that you're about to witness is my own attempt to build an F-15C that looks "reasonably" accurate to my eye. This is in no way intended to start a discussion regarding which kit is the "best" or even if this option is "worth" the work. We could spend an awfully long time just debating the criteria for measuring what "best" means and never get to talking about the kits. As you can see, I've already taken a dive into the deep end of the pool and we'll see how it goes. At the conclusion, I hope that I can say that all the work as "worth" it to me. I'm notorious for starting projects and not getting them finished so Hopefully this thread will keep the pressure on me to finish something and be able to share the build with a few folks along the way.

Now for the build. As a starting point, I decided to use the Revell F-15E kit as the base and then add parts from the Hasegawa kit, resin aftermaket, and photo-etched accessories as needed. The Hasegawa parts come from my spare parts box and the Revell kit was picked up at a 1/2 off sale so I'm only $15 in the hole at the start. Here are a couple threads that have given me the motivation to try the conversion and help layout the main differences. I'm far from an expert on this plane and all input and suggestions are welcome.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....122407&st=0

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....p;#entry1187657

The place I started first was to make the two holler into a single hole. I used the Hasagawa canopy and part from behind the canopy. The Revell kit was then cut to accept the Hasegawa kit piece.

Hasegawa part

F-15C13.jpg

Revell fuselage with forward section removed

F-15C14.jpg

First test fitting of the pieces

F-15C15.jpg

Edited by Cliff C

The second step was to fit the forward fuselage.

This is the Revell kit pieces before and after. You can see that on two of fuseage pieces, the rear section has been removed.

F-15C16.jpg

Here is a picture of all the pieces taped together. Still rough but not bad fit for the first test fit.

F-15C18.jpg

The Hasegawa canopy fits very well. The front of the canopy is slightly wider than the fuselage but that will go away once I attach the rear deck section under the canopy.

F-15C20.jpg

F-15C21.jpg

Thanks for taking a look.

-Cliff

All, thanks for the worrds of encouragement.

John, the 493rd FS is another great option. Thanks for suggesting and let me know how the D conversion goes.

Mike, why the reference to the Acadamey intakes? I haven't studied them in depth yet but also haven't seen this sited in other reviews.

-Cliff

Because if you're doing to do an in-flight display, they allow the intakes to be positioned "down" as they are on take off. The way the Revell/Hasegawa intakes are normally is proper for either a high speed/fully inflight position, or engines shut down and on the ground.

Academy intakes are the only ones in 1/48 that allow you to choose the position of them.

Gotcha, that's good information to know. For this build, I plan to have it on the ground with no pilot figure so the kit intakes should work fine. I've also been thinking about covers or using the cutting edge seamless intakes.

-Cliff

Wow, this should sure be entertaining to watch! For color, you sure can't beat an Aggressor (65AGRS, by the way--the 64AGRS is the Viper dudes), but there is something about the 390th Fighter Squadron that I really like. Or you could go with one of the Guard squadrons. They have some nice color schemes, too (Oregon, for example).

Keep up the great work!

Jake

For the IP cover, I removed the one off the Revell E and started with the Hasegawa as a base to add more detail.

F-15C2.jpg

Once I had the basic detail, I removed the IP cover from the Hasegawa kit.

F-15C4.jpg

Here's the rough fit on the Revell kit. I'll need to wait until it's permanently attached to add the rest of the detail.

F-15C10.jpg

That IP glareshield looks awesome! Keep it coming, can't wait to see this one finished! Decided on decals yet?

Thanks! Still no decision on the decals. There's just too many great options. I've flip-flopped 3 or 4 times today alone. I'm sure that as soon as I make a decision, Afterburner or Twobobs will come out with another great sheet for me to ponder.

Thanks! Still no decision on the decals. There's just too many great options. I've flip-flopped 3 or 4 times today alone. I'm sure that as soon as I make a decision, Afterburner or Twobobs will come out with another great sheet for me to ponder.

I'd still like to cast my vote on the 65th AGRS! Best camo scheme on an F-15 ever. Or, ever thought about doing an F-15I?

Not at all! Did you read the article? Tamiya exhausts are too long, not Revell.

And anyway the link to 1/32 tailcones comparison is useless for this 1/48 build :cop:

Yes indeed.

Revell 1/48 F-15E is a scale-down edition of the 1/32 Tamiya tool. As a result, for the sake of accuracy the 1/48 Revell exhausts need to be shortened. Same is true about the 1/48 Aires exhausts.

Do you own check. Given that the actual aircraft parts measure 21,0 inches:

1/32 = 0,65 inches (1.67 cms). Instead, Tamiya exhausts are 0,87 inches, 0,22 too long (0.60 cms).

1/48 = 0,44 inches (1.11 cms). Instead, Revell exhausts (and Aires) are 0,58 inches, 0,14 too long (0.40 cms).

Galfa

Hey Cliff...good to see your work here! :D

That's a clever idea! I'm not an Eagle expert, but the only problem that I can see with this combo is that the speed brake won't be entirely accurate. On the real aircraft, the back end of the speed brake actually rests on top of the airframe (not recessed) like in the kit. Only the front half is recessed. Even Hasagawa got this wrong. The old Monogram kit is the only one to my knowledge that actually got this part right. Other than that...it's coming along well! See ya around.

:lol:

This is going to be a great model. I must say, the aggressor camo is very cool looking. :thumbsup:

I'm not an Eagle expert, but the only problem that I can see with this combo is that the speed brake won't be entirely accurate. On the real aircraft, the back end of the speed brake actually rests on top of the airframe (not recessed) like in the kit. Only the front half is recessed. Even Hasagawa got this wrong. The old Monogram kit is the only one to my knowledge that actually got this part right.

Huh, didnt know that. As long as hes doing it brake down, all he has to do is shim it in the rear a little to make it stick out.