F-15C Build (4/3/11 Update) Finished

• 2 months later...

I had a memory card go bad and lost some photos. As a result, there is a bit of a jump from where I was at until now. The good news is that I'm almost finished! Here are a few pics of the bird almost finished. I'm trying a new photo set up so bear with me until I get used to it or change back. The paint is a custom mix of tamiya acrylics and the bare metal is allclad.

F15C32171-3.jpg

F15C32176-3.jpg

F15C32169-2.jpg

F15C32168-3.jpg

F15C32171-2.jpg

F15C32169-1.jpg

Here are some pics of the bare metal area around the exhausts. I start by spraying the area with Tamiya gloss black lacquer. I buy the rattle cans and then decant what I need into a spray jar so I can shoot it through my airbrush. after the black dries for 24 hours, I buff it with 2000 grit sanding cloth and its ready for the bare metal. In this case I used Allclad dull aluminum. The dark stains were done using allclad smoke and small amounts of clear orange and brown. I also small amount of allclad blue sepia around the vent in the center of the airframe. The most time consuming task in this area was adding the additional rivet detail.

For the area between the landing gear and bare metal, I washed with raw umber and did the streaks with burnt sienna. Also hit a few of the panel lines with clear orange.

F15C32175-2.jpg

The tails are just set in place and not glued at this point.

F15C32170-2.jpg

A few of the rivets in the last photo look white which I think is due to the lighting.

F15C32174-2.jpg

Thanks gents!

Here are a few pics of the cockpit area. The first pic shows where the hasegawa part, shown in the first couple posts of the build, connects with the Revell fuselage. The seams goes from left to right through the middle of the round access panel behind bay 5. The fit required a bit of work but was very very close in shape.

F15C32220.jpg

F15C32219-1.jpg

F15C32223.jpg

F15C32218.jpg

Edited by Cliff C

Cliff man- this is awesome work.

Just fabulious!

I have started my F-15C conversion - now that you are close to done I feel pretty good I went this way. That is just spectacular detail, and your painting is just top notich.

I think I have it much easier as the Aires F-15 pit pretty easily fits into the Revell fuselage. That will save a TON of scratchbuilding. Please keep these photos up for awhile as I will want to check back often to see how you did things if you don't mind!

Very inspirational - I just love it!

Regards,

Frank

Cliff man- this is awesome work.

Just fabulious!

I have started my F-15C conversion - now that you are close to done I feel pretty good I went this way. That is just spectacular detail, and your painting is just top notich.

I think I have it much easier as the Aires F-15 pit pretty easily fits into the Revell fuselage. That will save a TON of scratchbuilding. Please keep these photos up for awhile as I will want to check back often to see how you did things if you don't mind!

Very inspirational - I just love it!

Regards,

Frank

Thanks Frank, Gregg and Jin for the nice comments.

Frank, glad to hear that the Aires pit works with the Revell kit. I'm actually thinking about doing another one and will definitely use the aires set even if it's just for the front IP cover. The cockpit was 90% of the conversion work on this project. Partially because I got carried away on the rear decking that covers bay 5. The rest of the airframe changes were relatively easy. Next one will probably be a two seat aggressor or and early F-15 from the 5th FIS.

-Cliff

Thanks again for the nice comments and glad you like the build. I've been frequenting these boards for quite a while and many of the techniques I use, I learned here. Here are a few additional shots. I hope to finish the details over the Thanksgiving weekend.

F15C32222.jpg

F15C32172-2.jpg

F15C32178-2.jpg

F15C32183-3.jpg

F15C32177-2.jpg

:worship: Just awsome!! You'd never know it was more than oe kit. I have the Revell F-15C in my stash that i'll definately come back here for tips. Do the Fins from TwoMikes work on the Revell C?

I used the tails from the Revell F-15E kit as basis for the TwoMikes master.

-Cliff

Great attention to detail and very nice craftmanship in details and conversion! Also a nice and clean paint job.

I wonder, perhaps TwoMikes can cast the Hasegawa F-15C front fuselage piece in resin and make it unnecessary to sacrifice a Hasegawa kit in order to convert the Revell F-15E to a C-model. It seems the fuselage insertion is easy to cast and fairly easy to install. And Cliff C, people can use your excellent in-progress work as an instruction. :worship:

Cheers Martinsson

Great attention to detail and very nice craftmanship in details and conversion! Also a nice and clean paint job.

I wonder, perhaps TwoMikes can cast the Hasegawa F-15C front fuselage piece in resin and make it unnecessary to sacrifice a Hasegawa kit in order to convert the Revell F-15E to a C-model. It seems the fuselage insertion is easy to cast and fairly easy to install. And Cliff C, people can use your excellent in-progress work as an instruction. :thumbsup:

Cheers Martinsson

Very true and wouldn't be that hard to cast. However, you would still need the hasegawa canopy and "turtledeck" to complete the coversion. I test fit canopies from several other F-15 kits and the Jasegawa was the closest fit by a pretty good margin.

-Cliff

Hi Cliff C,

Yes you are of course right. However, the turtledeck should be easy to cast and besides, it comes with some (most?) resin cockpit sets. It is also fairly easy to scratch build. The major concern would be the canopy. Perhaps Falcon's 1/48 scale Clear Wax Set No.52: USAF has to be the provider of said canopy. Considering the considerably lower cost of the Revell kit in comparison to the Hasegawa kit, these sets should not bring the total project cost to prohibitive levels. Cheers Martinsson

• 4 months later...