F-15C Build (4/3/11 Update) Finished

Gentelmen, thanks for all the positive comments! The build is still moving along however slowely and I should be able to post an update in the next week or so. The holidays have taken their toll on the little bit of free time that I have and a couple weeks ago I realized that I've not completed a single model kit in 2008. So with the year-end rapidly approaching, I decided to finish painting an RF-4B (thin wing) that has been sitting on my desk. More on that later.

What colour did you use for your cables? Looks very effective and is different than just using the usual black.

Very interested;

-Al :thumbsup:

Al, the color I used was Testors rust with a tiny bit of olive drab to help tone it down. I was trying to add some contrast and get something close to what you see in Jake's book The Modern Eagle Guide.

-Cliff

Cliff,

Looks great so far. The canopy "turtledeck" was pretty featureless on top; I stored my CW equipment there when deploying for DS. The seat would almost certainly have the black "sheepskin" covers on the seat cushion and back pad in the time frame your're modeling. Again, very nice work on the kit.

Regards,

Murph

EDIT: Missed it the first time, the F-15 seat doesn't use the center pull ejection handle.

Edited by Murph
  • 1 month later...
Any update on this build Cliff?

Hi John:

Thanks for the nudge. This project is still on the top of my desk but the RF-4 I mentioned previously is taking a bit more time to complete than expected which means in 2008 I finished exactly zero projects. I should be working on the F-15 shortly and looking forward to posting new updates. I only have the canopy and ejection seats to finish on the RF-4 before I can put in the done colum. Thanks for your interest.

-Cliff

• 3 months later...

It's been a while between updates but the project has been slowly chugging along. One of the areas I've been focusing on is the deck area that covers bay-5. I wasn't happy with how any of the 1/48 kits represent this detail so I went off-trail and decided to do my own thing. Yes, I know that most of the detail on the bottom of the part will not be easily visable once the model is built but I'll have the "joy and satisfation" of knowing it's there. My friends just refer to it as an AMS symptom but I strongly disagree.

From the photo below and others, you can see that the area includes some rivet detail and the two lines accross the back where it changes angles are perfectly straight.

F-15c17207.jpg

Here's a picture of the hasegawa part next to the one I built. As you can see with the Hasegawa part, the lines accross the back are curved and the aft end turns up distinctively.

F-15ccanopydeck17907.jpg

For the underside of the decking, I decided to use the photoetched part from Eduard since it has nice detail and fits the Hasegawa canopy that I'm using. As a result, the underside of my part has very little structure and is sized to fit the photoetched dimensions.

F-15ccanopydeck17908.jpg

Once the photoetched part was bent up and in place, I added more detail with wire and plastic to represent additional detail.

F-15ccanopydeck17910.jpgF-15ccanopydeck17911.jpgF-15ccanopydeck17909.jpg

And finally the finished product:(the paint jar is a small bottle of Tamiya)

F-15ccanopydeck17912.jpgF-15ccanopydeck17913.jpg

The next step is finishing the canopy. I didn't like how the photoetched detail looks so I significantly thinned down the front of the canopy from the inside and made my own detail from styrene.

F-15ccanopydeck17914.jpg

That's it for now.

-Cliff

Cliff,

I'm sure it's been said before, but your skills (and this kit in particular) are just jaw-dropping! If I could build like you, I'd quit my job and barracade myself in the basement with my kits!!

cheers,

Mike

Hi Cliff,

Man,....what a HUGE improvement over the kit part!

Your updates are definately worth the wait. I like the scratched JHMCS sensor, very neat.

The paint job is the business too. Lovely use of shading to create the ribbed effect on the upper surface and superb depth to the underside. :)

Looking forward to more as and when.........

:whistle:

F-15CBuild13363-1.jpg

Cliff...!!! You ought to have the sight of an owl combined with the pulse of a brain surgeon! You're going blind, mate! Just take a look at all those tiny buttons you've fashioned for the CRT display... :)

F-15CBuild13365.jpg

And how in the world did you do this? Have you got the Riveter machine sold by Micro-Mark or do you do them other way else?

F-15ccanopydeck17907.jpg

More rivets, huh? That's really impressive, mate. Congratulations on your skills. Going hunt down some mice tonight? :whistle: