Josh-

Whatever you do, make sure that you pick up the chalk based pastels, and not the oil based ones. The oil based pastels will make a real mess of everything, whereas the chalk pastels can be blown/washed off if you don't like the effect.

As to post-shading, there are a number of ways to go about it. One technique that I'm playing with now is to use VERY heavily thinned artist's oil paints, airbrushed on at very low pressure into the panel lines and recesses. There is also a technique called 'panel line forcing', where you actually use a slightly lighter shade of the base color, applied just in front of each panel line, using Post-It notes as masks. If done properly, this technique can be effective on aircraft in the SEA scheme, but it must be done in a very subtle manner.

There's also the technique of applying lighter shades of the base color in a cloud like pattern in between the panels. I use a variation of this technique on Navy TPS aircraft, but I use both lighter and darker shades of the base color, sprayed in small, irregular dithering patterns on the topside of the aircraft.

Hope this helps to some extent :wacko:

Guest Collin
hey

i read alot about people weathering by postshading and pastels, how do i do this?what pastels are best?and any trick that works best?

josh

I normally use an oil based wash on my models... last night I tried pastels after the oil wash and it turned out ok for the first time (IMO). I used a q-tip but thinking about it now, I will hunt around for another applicaiton tool...when I find one...I will let you know. I used a Q-tip with just a tad of black pastel and ran it along the panel lines and inside some of the panels themselves. Check out my in-progress Eurofighter "One Step Closer"... I shot those two pics last night after the above was done.

Cheers