Hasegawa or Tamiya

No matter if we speak about 1/32 or 1/48 - Tamiya has no match...

Which is only as it should be, considering the respective release dates of the kits of both brands.

On the other hand, Tamiya's 1/72nd F-16C/D kit is the avoidable Italeri thingy. In which case it's Hasegawa all the way.

Cheers,

Andre

Which is only as it should be, considering the respective release dates of the kits of both brands.

On the other hand, Tamiya's 1/72nd F-16C/D kit is the avoidable Italeri thingy. In which case it's Hasegawa all the way.

Cheers,

Andre

Actually, in 72nd scale, I would go with Academy's new kit.

I love Hasegawa because of all the cool boxings and I'm not going to pay 200%-300% of a Hasegawa kit just for some little tiny dimples on the fuselage. Tamiya if for a NATS build or AMS-ers. Give me Hasegawa and Academy, or give me death!

Edited by sv51macross

I'm in the middle of my first Hasegawa F-16C, and so far the only complaint I have is some fit around the intake. I will eventually get to my Tamiya viper as well, and it looks incredible, but the Hasegawa kit is not exactly crappy.

jb

The Tamiya Vipers, from a kit engineering standpoint, are more modern and "superior". The downside..Tamiya will more than likely never change their molds to the point where they'll release an F-16A, ADF, AM or such. So it really depends on what you want and what your budget is.

If you've got the money and are willing to spend it, and want a Block 25/32, a Block 50/52 or Thunderbirds in 1/48..go with the Tamiya.

If you dont, dont want to spend the money or are building several of them close together, then the Hasegawa is your game.

If you want an F-16A or any A variant? Hasegawa is really your only realistic choice.

Academy made a 1/72 F-16? NICE!

Yes, you get finely recessed panel lines, rivet detail, the most awsome decals you will ever use consisting of five seperate jets from five different air bases with different tail markings for each (in addition to all the weapons decals), 2x each of AGM-88, GBU-31 (Mk-84), AIM-9X, AIM-9M/L, and AIM-120B, big-mouth intake and GE-exhaust with a rather deep burner can, the only thing they don't do is have droppable flaperons/slats.

Yes, you get finely recessed panel lines, rivet detail, the most awsome decals you will ever use consisting of five seperate jets from five different air bases with different tail markings for each (in addition to all the weapons decals), 2x each of AGM-88, GBU-31 (Mk-84), AIM-9X, AIM-9M/L, and AIM-120B, big-mouth intake and GE-exhaust with a rather deep burner can, the only thing they don't do is have droppable flaperons/slats.

I've gotta get me one of those then. The flaps/slats can't be THAT hard to modify.

I would say if you build just one C model, Tamiya is the choice. But there are some parts options for very early C models that Hasegawa potentially offers over the Tamiya kit.

Of course in my case, I am waiting to see what Kinetic's Vipers will be like. But in my case I am more keen to get a Kinetic kit over a Tamiya one as I want to do a D model and Tamiya hasn't done one of those yet.

Edited by Jay Chladek
I would say if you build just one C model, Tamiya is the choice. But there are some parts options for very early C models that Hasegawa potentially offers over the Tamiya kit.

Of course in my case, I am waiting to see what Kinetic's Vipers will be like. But in my case I am more keen to get a Kinetic kit over a Tamiya one as I want to do a D model and Tamiya hasn't done one of those yet.

Especially considering the Kinetic will offer something Tamiya doesn't: Seperate and drppable leading-edge slats!

Another thing to consider about the Kinetic kits is the amount of tweaking they've been doing to get them right. It's led to some frustrating delays, but Kinetic could really blow us away with these. With the amount of weaponry they're including with the F-16 kits, us being "blown away" is a real possibility, too! :thumbsup:

jb

Well, the Hasegawa ones are now going for $29 - $41, and I just got the Tamiya CJ for $33, so the price isn't that far off.

Brian

I think $33 for a Tamiya Cj would have to be w/o around $10 for s&h even if its not new, and as for Hasegawa, there are alot of older Charlie and Alpha ones floating around, as the special ones showing up on ebay. Overall cost that I've observed has been around $20-$30.

Leading edge flaps my good man.

Slats create slots. The F-16 is not equipped thus.

F-4's have slats (outboard on E's F's and G's)

F-100's and F-86's have slats

Me-262's have slats

F-16's merely have LE Flaps...and....not trying to start a fight or anything like that. Just making sure the info for the masses is correct. But I also agree....I was surprised that Tamiya left the LE flaps that way. The TE flaps can be posed and I was just looking at my kit last night and lamenting the non-pose-able LE flaps.

Careful, they'll label you a JMN if you try to get people to call a dog a dog, and a cat a cat.

:boohoo:

J

The only thing about poseable LE flaps on the F-16 is I have yet to see a parked F-16 with the LE flaps down. Usually the wing stays pretty clean when the bird is parked to my knowledge. But still, it is nice to have that option available if I so choose to use it. Although I do hope that I can build the wing clean without too much effort as I think some of the companies have gone overkill on what can be drooped at the expense of those of us who like clean wings (Hobby Boss F-105D being an example).

The only thing about poseable LE flaps on the F-16 is I have yet to see a parked F-16 with the LE flaps down. Usually the wing stays pretty clean when the bird is parked to my knowledge. But still, it is nice to have that option available if I so choose to use it. Although I do hope that I can build the wing clean without too much effort as I think some of the companies have gone overkill on what can be drooped at the expense of those of us who like clean wings (Hobby Boss F-105D being an example).

It just means that someone can now build an action pose of a F-16 in a high-alpha manuver (like a viking-style takeoff)