Tamiya 1/48 F-16CJ

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Almost forgot, also started on a base layout. I'm trying to match the parking pad in the image posted at the top of the thread. It'll be printed out at 11x14" and grass added where it's green. Still needs work, but I'm happy with the look of the concrete.

Any comments on the (in)accuracy of the placement of the pavement markings?

tarmac1a.jpg

:rolleyes:

Looking sharp :cheers:

I hope you manage to achieve the polished results with the eraser over the topcoat. I'll be interested to see the results.

The weaponry and seat look great.

:huh:

p.s, just noticed, is that the correct way for the centre line pylon and fuel tank combo? It appears to be sitting way out in front......(did n't use mine so I don't know for sure)

Thanks, geedubelyer, Got my fingers crossed on the finish too. Believe it or not, that's the right way for the center pylon. Looks all backerds to me too. Check out the first picture in the thread, though, it shows pretty well.

:cheers:

Mark

Hi there, just like to say 'AMAZING JOB!!!!!!'. I'll be starting an F-16 from the same FW shortly, and i asked around about the 'Have Glass' finish, and this is what some kind person replied......

QUOTE (Afterburner Decals Scott @ Apr 18 2008, 11:04 PM) *

I did an experiment, and this seemed like the best approach. Paint it normally, then drybrush and weather the snot out of it with white or light gray. Apply decals, then suspend some acrylic silver in Future....just a smidge, and mist it on. Flat coat as normal. The paint looks like metail flake, but putting the silver directly into the gray lightens it and doesn't look "right". You want the flakes over the paint.

Hope this helps.

Mat

Ok, panel lines are washed, MM Dullcoat is on, and I've started to rub away at it with a pencil eraser. Whaddya think? HAVE GLASS, or smudged-up mess?

CRW_6310.jpg

:rolleyes:

Edited by mkimages

The stencil info for the Missiles were possibly taken off a load barn munition. Aside from the inert blue bands they generally have all the other appropriate stenciling to help replicate loading a live munition. Only thing missing is a big DO NOT FLY somewhere on it. These munitions are used for monthly load training evals by the weapons crews.

Looking really good overall though. I love the scratches on the IFR door on top. Tankers love to slap that thing around.

Edited by HWR MKII

Thanks, HWR, I was thinking maybe I'd overdone the scratching-up of the refuel door.

For the missiles, I just wound up using the kit stencils, which were supposed to go with the yellow/brown stripes on live ordnance. To my knowlege, nobody makes specific decals for CATM's so I just made do with what I had. Got the blue stripes too dark, too, but they're a huge hassle to mask so they'll stay the way they are.

:whistle:

... To my knowlege, nobody makes specific decals for CATM's...

Hey mkimages,

Two Bobs make a AIM-9/AIM-120 CATM/ACMI Markings sheet. Check out their sheet 48-172.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

-O

Hey mkimages,

Two Bobs make a AIM-9/AIM-120 CATM/ACMI Markings sheet. Check out their sheet 48-172.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

-O

But of COURSE they do! :bandhead2:

I swear I looked (right past them, obviously). All the while thinking, "You know, this seems like a no-brainer for Bob to do. Why hasn't he done them yet?"

Thanks for the pointer. :thumbsup:

And, Jake, I appreciate the vote of confidence with the HG. It's not perfect, but under the right lighting, it looks pretty close to photos I've seen. Pretty easy to do, too, which is nice.

<...snippety....> Whaddya think? HAVE GLASS, or smudged-up mess?

HAVE GLASS = smudged up mess so you've nailed it :thumbsup:

That looks very effective in close-up and the side on shot confirms that you've made a lovely job of the finish :bandhead2:

Cracking model. :cheers:

And, Jake, I appreciate the vote of confidence with the HG. It's not perfect, but under the right lighting, it looks pretty close to photos I've seen.

But that's exactly how the real Have Glass is. Until it's been on for a year or two, it's hard to discern whether a jet has it or not. As you say, under the right light, it becomes apparent.

Jake

Another thumbs up for the HG effect. Looks very convincing.

In full scale, the appearance changes completely even if you look from the same angle just from a cloud obscuring the sky. Under reflecting sunlight the Neutral Grey areas sometimes seem to be aluminum silver.

Really like the build and the paint job. One remark about the AMRAAM's: The training rounds have a more blunt shaped nose section. The items from the kit are shaped like the live missiles.

B/R

Kai

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, well. PictureWizard seems to have blown a gasket; so much for all my thread pics. Guess a free host really is worth every cent. Anyway, the F-16 is pretty much finished now, just a couple more things here & there, RBF tags and a base left to do. Here are a couple of shots as it sits. Once it's buttoned up I'll take some pics for a critique thread. Thanks for all the assistance and the kind words during the build, they're truly appreciated.

833-2.jpg

833-1.jpg

:o

Edited by mkimages
Very nice indeed, I think you nailed that one :D

Agreed.

Tremendous job :thumbsup:

If you had n't put the scale in the thread title I'd be convinced that this was the 1/32nd scale offering.

The Have Glass finish is very convincing. I look forard to more pics in Critiques soon.

:D