ESCI 1/48 FJ-2/3 Fury - Good Kit?

Has anyone built this? I am looking to do a early fury abnd wondered how accurate the kit is.

Cheers,

Julien

Spend the cash and get the Collect Aire FJ-3 Fury, a very nice resin kit. The ESCI kit is not very accurate.

Spend the cash and get the Collect Aire FJ-3 Fury, a very nice resin kit. The ESCI kit is not very accurate.

Thats a bit too much cash when you factor in postage and customs charges in the UK.

Julien

Sorry Julien, that kit is not even close to a -2 or -3 Fury. The intake, canopy and wing are all wrong. It's basically an ESCI F-86 made to sorta kinda look like a Fury. :worship:

I live in hope of a proper 1/48 injection molded early Fury one day..........and a Cougar, a Tiger and a Banshee. :pray:

:worship:

Mark

Thats a bit too much cash when you factor in postage and customs charges in the UK.

Julien

That is correct Julien. It is a F-86 (sort of)

If you want to do one of the prototypes, it would be close.

Yes, would someone PLEASE do one of these!!??

Cheers,

Harold

Has anyone built this? I am looking to do a early fury abnd wondered how accurate the kit is.

Cheers,

Julien

Julien,

Well then since you are unable to aquire the CA Fury......which is a very nice, accurate kit here's what I can suggest. I did this a few years ago before I bit the bullet and bought the CA Fury. What you will need, An ESCI FJ-2/3 kit and either the Grand Phoenix or Hobby Boss FJ-4 Fury. I used the Matchbox -4 as the other kits weren't around then but I think those two newer kits would work better anyway. I kept the wings, landing gear, drop tanks and canopy from the ESCI kit. Use the fuselage from one of the -4 kits. I cut down and filled the spine of the -4 as well as cut down the fin to the correct -3 height and shape. I had to scratch a new corrected rudder from sheet stock. Then add the parts from the ESCI kit that I mentioned earlier. I would probably use the GP or HB front windscreen with the ESCI rear canopy if they match up very well. Anyway it's a lot of work but it can be done and mine was looking pretty good until I bought the CA kit.

Sorry Julien, that kit is not even close to a -2 or -3 Fury. The intake, canopy and wing are all wrong. It's basically an ESCI F-86 made to sorta kinda look like a Fury. :D

I live in hope of a proper 1/48 injection molded early Fury one day..........and a Cougar, a Tiger and a Banshee. :pray:

:)

Mark

FYI, Fonderie Miniature makes the Cougar and Tiger in 1/48. They can be had through squadron. They are multimedia with the large sections being injection molded. I built the Cougar recently and it builds into a nice model with a lot of patience and putty.

Sorry Julien, that kit is not even close to a -2 or -3 Fury. The intake, canopy and wing are all wrong. It's basically an ESCI F-86 made to sorta kinda look like a Fury. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Mark

Here! Here!

FYI, Fonderie Miniature makes the Cougar and Tiger in 1/48. They can be had through squadron. They are multimedia with the large sections being injection molded. I built the Cougar recently and it builds into a nice model with a lot of patience and putty.

Get the FM Cougar only if you are a glutton for punishment. I got one right after it was released, and the best I can say is that it can be made into a good model with A LOT of work. The Tiger is better and easier to work with.

Get the FM Cougar only if you are a glutton for punishment. I got one right after it was released, and the best I can say is that it can be made into a good model with A LOT of work. The Tiger is better and easier to work with.

I couldn't agree more, the Cougar was a LOT of work, about two months worth. It is in fact the reason why I haven't dived into the Tiger kit yet. Glad to hear that it is simpler project.

But getting back to the original subject, I would love to see a decent 1/48 fj-2/3 on the market, even a conversion kit would be welcome! :thumbsup:

IIRC the ESCI kit will get you close to a XFJ-2, but for an operational FJ-2, it doesn't really work.

It won't even get you close to an XFj-2B. The only way to get an XFJ-2B is to use an F-86 and fill the 6x50 cal gun ports and drill out 4x20mm ports. The XFJ-2B was essentially an F-86 with the different guns mounted. The two XFJ-2's were F-86's with modded landing gear and arrestor hooks but they were still basicly Sabre's. The production FJ-2's were totally different. By the way, the wings on the ESCI kit are basicly correct for a Fury. The only thing ESCI didn't mold was a new fuselage....why....who knows. All the parts are ok except the fuse, cockpit and canopy. The canopy is slightly off because they used the F-86 fuselage so they had to make it fit.

It won't even get you close to an XFj-2B. The only way to get an XFJ-2B is to use an F-86 and fill the 6x50 cal gun ports and drill out 4x20mm ports. The XFJ-2B was essentially an F-86 with the different guns mounted. The two XFJ-2's were F-86's with modded landing gear and arrestor hooks but they were still basicly Sabre's. The production FJ-2's were totally different. By the way, the wings on the ESCI kit are basicly correct for a Fury. The only thing ESCI didn't mold was a new fuselage....why....who knows. All the parts are ok except the fuse, cockpit and canopy. The canopy is slightly off because they used the F-86 fuselage so they had to make it fit.

How many of you have that ESCI kit??

I built one years ago using the Monogram (modified) fuselage with the ESCI wings.

It worked out fairly well.

Now the reason I ask about the ESCI kit. The wings are fairly good with an OK undercarriage. It needs a fuselage, 'pit and canopy.

What would ya'll be willing to put out for a conversion set?

Just thinking, not doing.

Cheers,

Harold

How many of you have that ESCI kit??

I built one years ago using the Monogram (modified) fuselage with the ESCI wings.

It worked out fairly well.

Now the reason I ask about the ESCI kit. The wings are fairly good with an OK undercarriage. It needs a fuselage, 'pit and canopy.

What would ya'll be willing to put out for a conversion set?

Just thinking, not doing.

Cheers,

Harold

I'd be on board for one. I've had several ESCI Furys. Your FJ-4 cockpit would work as the FJ-3's was very similar except for the instrument panel and the area behind the seat. The bang seat is the same also with minor differences. Just one suggestion, do not use an F-86 fuselage as the start for a master, it will be wrong. Mod a HB or GP -4 fuse, you will be much closer.