Here's my quick, low cost solution to the lack of intake trunks on the Hasegawa Hornet. Below is a test that took less than 5 minutes - the final intakes will obviously be longer in length.

I have used a piece of heat-shrink tubing that is used to protect electrical cables that I sourced from a hardware shop. It's a thin, rubbery plastic that shrinks on on application of heat (this piece measures 20mm across when flat). I used a cigarette lighter to carefully shrink it onto the intake lip and a 1/72 Tomcat compressor face from the spares box.

19f8d135cbade7eb3a1f334e12f83f92.jpg

6cc4468098f7c11cad855a1e44181cf2.jpg

7b25d892876635918a6a4b73f5067994.jpg

6d7a98e3b2325cbff83c79ae303ea55a.jpg

Will update once I have fit the intakes to the fuselage - looks like I may have to trim the main strut locating holes so that they sit nicely over the wheel bays.

:worship:

Edited by sea-monkey
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Anybody know what this is called and if it is available, say in, home depot?

Eric

I call it heat shrink tubing and then explain what it is to the clerk. They understand what I mean. I went to a number of stores around here (Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Circuit City) and nobody has any. My search continues.

You should be able to easily find Heat Shrink Tubing in the electrical departments at any home supply store such as Lowes & Home Depot. You may also try looking at places such as Radio Shack, as I know they carry it as well. I think its possible that Wal Mart carries it in their electrical department. Push comes to shove, see if you have an electrical supply store/warehouse, and see if they could get you a small amount.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks really great! What did you use to blend the tubing into the intake piece?

Gene K

Nothing - the plastic on the end of the Hasegawa part is very thin and I just shrunk the tubing directly onto these parts and secured with superglue on the exterior. There is a small step if you look closely but it is not noticable. The kit parts were painted grey first - they seem to end about where the grey /white demarcation is on the real aircraft intakes (or close enough for me anyway).

If trying this method on other kit intakes, it might be neccessary to thin the plastic on the kit parts first to reduce the step.

Hope this helps.

Edited by sea-monkey
... I just shrunk the tubing directly onto these parts and secured with superglue on the exterior.

Thanks. I'm having a hard time finding white tubing locally, so I'll have to go through the internet.

You said the the tube flat is 20mm, so I'll be looking for 3/8" tubing.

Gene K