Hasegawa 1/48 F-14 Bombcat Conversion

Hello,

This is my first in progress build post so please be gentel :worship:

I'm going to attempt to do a F-14 Bombcat , I'm building this as part of the Naval Group Build on Promodeller.com and i thought i'd share my progress on ARC too. I'm going to be using the Hasegawa F-14A Tophatters CAG kit as a base and use the Blackbox Bombcat resin conversion and their Bombcat cockpit. The conversion has'nt arrived from Hannants yet but as soon as it does i'll post a piccy.

Anyway here's what i got delivered very quickly from Graham at Relish Models

DSCN2758.jpg

and the obligatory box contents shot

DSCN2759.jpg

As for decals i've gone for the Fightertown 'VF-103 Jolly Rogers Last Tomcat Cruise 2004' set, again awaiting del from Hannants.

Not sure if i'll do the CAG bird or not yet?.......

FT48017_1small.jpg

Plus i'll also be using Dr Pepper Resin GE-F110 nozzels as the F-14B has the F110 engines and his resin wheels, not ordered these yet tho.

I'll also be trying something very different with the weathering, it involes using salt, saw it here on Oishi's 1/32 F-14 and thought i'd give it a shot, so it could go horribly wrong but we will have to wait and see.

As soon as i get the Cockpit i'll make a start and post another update.

hi!

i will follow this with interest!

why don't you use a F14B kit directly? not enough detailed?

will you do the lowviz markings?

bye!!

Hi,

I used the F-14A as it was easy to get hold of, not sure which of the fightertown markings i'll use yet, think i'll wait till they arrive.

Dr Savage

Why i'm waiting for the cockpit to turn up thought i'd make a start on the intakes and engines, boy this kit is flashy not like the Haseagwa i'm used too.

With some care and the good old tamiya extra thin i've managed to get a really good join on the engine pipes

DSCN2760.jpg

DSCN2761.jpg

DSCN2762.jpg

the intake bodys had LOADS of flash i've cleaned them up an filled the ejector pin marks , i'll finish these off tonight ready for paint.

DSCN2763.jpg

Now i must go and do some real work :worship:

Sounds like a great project! I love this kit.

If you're using the DrP GE burner cans, then I think the updated A kit is the best way to start. Because the engine shroud from the A kit is thicker, it's easier to fit the DrP engine parts. You'll have to grind out the inside until the can slides snugly in. The other benefit is you can sand the shrouds on the outside to get rid of the panel lines (GE engine shrouds are smooth).

DSC02658.jpg

DSC02664.jpg

The Aires cockpit is excellent - just add the large PTID to the RIO's fishbowl, the Lantirn control stick (you could update the RIO's left side panel if you need them that accurate) and the Pilot Hud/box and you're set!

can't wait to see more.

-brian

One other thing to note is to be sure you use the correct engine fairings. If the VF-14 boxing contains the same plastic as the Black Knights History one (which I'm pretty sure it does), then you want to use parts E16 and E17, not A8 and A9. And then check some references photos, because E16 and 17 still aren't completely accurate--the corners should be a little more rounded off, and they should extend backward a little further.

Good luck! :cheers:

Sounds like a great project! I love this kit.

If you're using the DrP GE burner cans, then I think the updated A kit is the best way to start. Because the engine shroud from the A kit is thicker, it's easier to fit the DrP engine parts. You'll have to grind out the inside until the can slides snugly in. The other benefit is you can sand the shrouds on the outside to get rid of the panel lines (GE engine shrouds are smooth).

DSC02658.jpg

DSC02664.jpg

The Aires cockpit is excellent - just add the large PTID to the RIO's fishbowl, the Lantirn control stick (you could update the RIO's left side panel if you need them that accurate) and the Pilot Hud/box and you're set!

can't wait to see more.

-brian

Thanks for the info Brian and the pics :cheers:

One other thing to note is to be sure you use the correct engine fairings. If the VF-14 boxing contains the same plastic as the Black Knights History one (which I'm pretty sure it does), then you want to use parts E16 and E17, not A8 and A9. And then check some references photos, because E16 and 17 still aren't completely accurate--the corners should be a little more rounded off, and they should extend backward a little further.

Good luck! :sunrevolves:

Actually that's not really the case. Hasegawa molded the shrouds too long, and they should sit further forward on the body so that's where the problem lies. You'd have to do some creative work to get them correct tho...so extending the fairing is the easiest choice.

-brian

Yeah the Atlantic fleet boxing kit has a lot of flash too. Trimmed it all down and filled some of the ejector pin marks whilst waiting for payday so I can get an order in for my aftermarket stuff.

Hello Everyone,

I'm really enjoying this build, even though i seem to have been filling and sanding, maybe its because its a Tomcat and i've been wanting to build one for ages

Anyway what have i been up to, well while i'm waiting for the Cockpit to arrive i've been concentrating on the intakes.....

Got the inner intake body together and ran some super glue down the seams to fill any gaps

DSCN2764.jpg

Using different grades of wet/dry paper i attacked the seams to get a nice smooth finish

DSCN2768.jpg

Now onto the the main intake bodies, again a lot of flash and the surface of the plastic on the start of the intake is really rough , more sanding, here's a before and after shot

DSCN2766.jpg

With the intake bodies smoothed and remembering to drill the holes for the fuel tanks i fitted the inner bodies to the intakes, nice gap all the way round so more filling and sanding

DSCN2769.jpg

DSCN2770.jpg

Filled all the gaps with filler and then attacked it with my stick until everything is level

DSCN2772.jpg

DSCN2774.jpg

DSCN2776.jpg

Another thin layer of filler and a wet/dry paper session and this is how they look, i've painted silver paint on to see how the seam are, really pleased how they have turned out

DSCN2778.jpg

I'm going to start on the wings next, they are going to be folded to save on display space.

Till next time..

GHost

Hold The Phone! the postie just delivered my Blackbox Cockpit/Bombcat conversion and my fightertown decals

Thought you all might like to see what you get in the conversion...

This lot all makes up the cockpit, it comes with the all important LANTIRN control stick etc for the RIO

DSCN2780.jpg

Really nicely detailed

DSCN2782.jpg

LANTRIN Pod and pylon

DSCN2786.jpg

Chin Pods, GPS and TACAN

DSCN2788.jpg

Weapon rails, with adaptor and bomb racks and LAU-138 Missile Launchers

DSCN2789.jpg

DSCN2787.jpg

Mk-83 Bombs

DSCN2790.jpg

And really nice instructions too, loads of colour call outs partnumbers for all the resin bits etc

DSCN2792.jpg

Loads of resin to keep me busy

The fightertown decals are also top notch, loads of info about the different aircraft , i have a choice of four aircraft , CAG Victory 103, Victory 110 and Victory 111 these all dropped GBU-12's in Operation Phantom Fury and also Victory 101 which was the very last VF-103 to be launch off a carrier, it also had a catastrophic engine faliure during the cruise, luckily on the filght deck . Problem is which one do i do!!!!!!!

DSCN2793.jpg

DSCN2794.jpg

The only other problem i have is, the standard weapons load for VF-103 was 2 GBU-12 i have 4 MK-83 Bombs Doh, i'll have to find some GBU-12's.

Edited by Dr Savage

I'm working on the Cockpit at the mo and need a bit of help, in the Blackbox instructions it says to install the RWR box on the RIO coaming but i cant seem to see one fitted in the pics i have of the VF-103 F-14's, just wondering why i have it in the cockpit set?

I'm working on the Cockpit at the mo and need a bit of help, in the Blackbox instructions it says to install the RWR box on the RIO coaming but i cant seem to see one fitted in the pics i have of the VF-103 F-14's, just wondering why i have it in the cockpit set?

The RIO's coaming does not have the RWR box on it for the F-14B.

It was just for the F-14D.

Something else you can do to the RIO instrument panel coaming if you really want to get that accurate - fill in those rectangular vents in the cloth. Those were on on the D material. The A/B had round vent screens on the sides of the hard plastic (black) cover.

-brian

Hi All,

Quick update, Finally got the cockpit to fit to where i'm at least happy with it, i haven't fitted may resin cockpits before and think i made a right meal of it, if i did it again i think it would go a lot easier. The tub is just blue-Tac'd in at the mo so will be a better fit once glued.

DSCN2812.jpg

DSCN2813.jpg

DSCN2814.jpg

I will have to sort out this gap at the front of the pilots glare shield!

DSCN2811.jpg

I put tiny bits of plastic card for the canopy latches but just noticed their not in line each side so will have to do one side again, i'll sand them down a bit too so they are not thick.

Next job paint the cockpit

Doc

Edited by Dr Savage