ESWAT VTOL insertion plane

Hi all, I am new here. I usually model mecha and armor, but now I am modeling sci fi aircraft. I want to model the plane from the movie Appleseed, in case you don't know how it looks like, here it is:

vlcsnap-9206619.png

vlcsnap-9211815.png

vlcsnap-9212471.png

vlcsnap-9212388.png

Now as you can see, the model is kind of a hybrid between a C-130 Hercules and a V-22 Osprey. So why not start with those to kits as a base?

My question is, I have a V-22 in 1/72 scale, which would be the closest scale for the C-130 kit if I wanted to match the foward fuselage of the C-130 to the aft fuselage of the V-22?

If my math is correct, the C-130 kit needs to be 1/144 scale.

You are the aircraft experts, please help!

Thank you!

Yea, I think you'd be better off w/ the 1/72 C-130 & a 1/48 V22, just so that the parts are more accurately proportioned to each other. Using the 1/72 V22 would make the wings, engines & props way too small. Or like you've got, a 1/72 V22 & the 1/144 C-130. But they definitely cant both be the same scale.

Edited by Adam Baker

Thanks guys. Ok so I have taken a look at the design more. The C-130J seems to be the best option to start and the fuselage needs to be shortened quite a bit. Also in the movie the plane is not that big, so a 1/72 C-130 should be somewhat around a 1/48 ESWAT plane.

Now the problem is that the base kits are quite expensive, the Italeri C-130J is around $50 and about another $30 for the Italeri 1/48 Osprey.

Taiidan, will PM him and see where it goes.

Alright so I have been thinking about making a rough mock up with a 1/144 C-130 and the 1/72 Osprey I have, but, the 1/144 kit is too expensive for me to want to chop it up in a trial run, (since when are 1/144 kits over $30?). I have to wait until I find a bargain.

• 2 weeks later...

That's going to be a lot of surgery, and a lot of unused parts as well. Have you thought about sourcing just the engine pods from the Osprey? That might save you a couple of yen/bucks/whatever.

As I remember, and thanks for an excuse to watch the movie again, the plane was mostly C-130-ish, the biggest differences were in the wings and engines. That might mean that you can get by with just the Herc, if you can source the Osprey pods.

Do you need screen-shots? Seeing as you've got me wanting to watch the movie again, I'll be happy to take caps and send them along.

BJ

Thanks Bigjets for the input. I do have a ton of screenshots, it's hard to get decent views but they help a lot. I do agree that the cockpit and nose are more C-130ish, as you said there are going to be a lot of unused parts, so I am still sourcing used/incomplete kits to save some bucks. This is sort of a long term project so I am not rushing.