Hi all :D

In the next few months, I will be building a Tamiya 1/48 USAF Thunderbird # 1. My question is I have noticed in pictures that these birds are fairly shinney. In some of you're opinions which would be a better finish Semi- Gloss or a Gloss. I have been told that a Gloss finish might make it look like a toy or a die-cast model. Need input from all you fine people.

Thank you all,

Evolution :thumbsup:

Tough call but an easy one to solve. I use Gunze Sangyo Acqueous Water Color Acylics and it's associated gloss paint. I thin this paint with Tamiya Acrylic thinner (about 70% clear and 30% thinner). I basically apply about 3-4 very thin coats allowing for about 24 hour drying time in between (don't ask why... I'm anal that way)... At any rate... As I progressively apply the gloss it gets glossier and glossier. The first coat is a very subtle semi gloss... so you can judge as you go... and stop when it looks right to your eye...

Pretty sure you can apply this technique to any paint you use...

I figure you can't go wrong with this method as you control the amount of gloss...

-Greg

You got it prezactly. A really shiny model looks like a toy. If you understand how scale color effect works, it works similarly for surface sheen. A highly polished car viewed close-up looks highly polished. Back away from it a few hundred feet and see how shiny it looks. The haze in the atmosphere (which makes colors move toward grey, hence the effectiveness of grey camouflage) also tones down shine to a great extent. I'd go with a semi-gloss, tending toward the glossy end of the spectrum, but not shiny.

J