Well WASMEx (Western Australian Scale Model Expo) has come and gone. Speaking as an organising committee member, this is the best show of the 10 years the show has been run. Simply superb new venue and lot of very talented junior modellers up and coming. Who said our hobby was dying??

Aircraft in 1:48 were very well represented and as a judge in that aircraft categories, I must say the competition was very tight indeed with some fine builds entered. The only issue was 1:72, which was rather poor in both quality and entry numbers.

We had moved to a new venue this year and I must say the change has been extremely positive, with two buildings used for the displays and the competition. It worked very well with a great and vibrant atmosphere and the committee is hoping to see that positiveness reflect on attendance numbers.

Although I have only been building armour (small scale) for the last 2 years in a more serious manner, I picked up a silver, bronze and a highly commended in small scale military. This was the first year I did not enter any aircraft models in the competition.

In saying that though, I was "persuaded" by fellow club members (you know who you are Sam, Elio and Max :rofl: ) to buy a Tamiya F-16CJ and an Eduard deluxe edition P-39Q "Air a Cutie" (Got to get those pyn-up decals now!), so there might be aircraft builds again in the near future!

Silver

su100-base01.jpg

Bronze

Crusader-05a.jpg

:taunt:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

Well, I think now is a good a time as any to break the posting drought!

Haven't been active on the forums for a few years now, for one reason or another, but after spending the weekend hanging with Madmike and his lovely wife, he encouraged me to start posting again, so here I am!!

I have to agree with Mike, it was definitely the best WASMEx for some time, with a great venue and atmosphere, and I think I have personally done more modelling at this WASMEx than any previous one.

I was judging with Mike, and I have to agree that some of the 1/48 stuff was pretty tough. We spent a good 15-20 mins just trying to decide first place between a stunning P-47 and one of the sweetest looking tropical Spitfires I have seen in a long time. In the end we went with the P-47, we just could not get over the fact that the entire engine cowl was one big checkerboard, and it was not painted on, but a decal! It was absolutely perfectly done, without a single blemish!

I would like to give Mike a big congrats for his effort with his small scale armour, well done my friend, a simply superb job! Your work inspires me! <_<

The guy who pipped Mike for first place was another club member (our president, Elio), so small scale armour was an all SMCWA affair! Yay for us!!! :yahoo:

One of our members, Craig, had quite a bit of stuff entered in a number of different categories, and scooped up a whole bunch of gold and silver for his efforts. We gave him the nickname "Phelpsie" for obvious reasons!!

I even managed to snaffle myself a silver for my lone entry, one 1/72 Fine Molds Y-wing. I was pipped at the post by a simply beautiful 1/72 Fine Molds X-Wing, so I am pretty happy with my result! ^_^

For those who want to have a gander at the competition placegetters this year, wander over to the WASMEx website and have yourself a look!

http://wasmex.org/index.htm

The results aren't up on the site yet, but Drew is usually pretty good with his updates, so I expect they will be up within the next few days or so...

Finally, in response to Mike's "accusations" of coercing him into buying a Tamiya F-16 CJ, I say "GUILTY AS CHARGED!!!" :P In all fairness, it was for medicinal reasons, as Mike was suffering from a case of "toomuchputtyitis", brought about by insisting on building ancient aircraft kits which would not go together with nothing less that 12 gallons of putty and a small directed thermonuclear charge to force the parts into place!!!

"Dr Sam" felt in necessary to subscribe a solid dose of "Shake-and-Bake"! Anyway, being an active member of ARC and building that many "targets", it just ain't right, I tells ya!!!

Cheers,

Sam :cheers:

Finally, in response to Mike's "accusations" of coercing him into buying a Tamiya F-16 CJ, I say "GUILTY AS CHARGED!!!" ^_^ In all fairness, it was for medicinal reasons, as Mike was suffering from a case of "toomuchputtyitis", brought about by insisting on building ancient aircraft kits which would not go together with nothing less that 12 gallons of putty and a small directed thermonuclear charge to force the parts into place!!!

:yahoo: so very true!

"Dr Sam" felt in necessary to subscribe a solid dose of "Shake-and-Bake"! Anyway, being an active member of ARC and building that many "targets", it just ain't right, I tells ya!!!

Cheers,

Sam :cheers:

Thank God I am with HBF! :P I examined the F-16CJ extensively last night....mmmmm....

<_<

MikeJ

For those who are keen for a bit of a bo-peep, the results for WASMEx 2008 are up on the website!

http://wasmex.org/results/results.htm

Feel free to have a squiz, and check out some of Perth's talented modelling fraternity!

You will notice a few names pop up a fair bit, noteably Craig Thompson (one of my fellow club members) and Ben Flood. Anything by these guys was simply beautiful. Ben's "Plains Indian" was simply breathtaking! :o He is an excellent all round modeller, who moved away from figures just long enough to build a gorgeous X-Wing that pipped my Y-Wing at the post! :salute: :lol:

And of course not forgetting ARC's very own Madmike in the armour section. Well done buddy!!

There's something there for everyone, so have a bit of a look and enjoy the show!!

Cheers,

Sam :worship: