Hey All, Just a quick question. I had picked up a 1:48 F-7F Tigercat that came with rubber tires.I was told that those,said tires will melt the plastic? Is this true? Will painting the landing gear prevent this,or do I have to look for resin tires to put on it? Any help will be most appreciated.

Pete

This should definitively answer the question. These came off a Tigercat that was donated to me by a friend.

Tires.jpg

A shame, really, I think they're nice looking tires, too bad someone never made some white metal wheels to replace the the plastic ones from the kit.

As I understand it, True Details offers a set of resin replacements.

I used a set on my recently completed F7F Tigercat, really can't go wrong with a replacement set like this. They are great.

FYI: I replaced the props as well with a aftermarket set. The kit props are molded backwards.

Atis

IMG_0916.jpg

Edited by Collin
I used a set on my recently completed F7F Tigercat, really can't go wrong with a replacement set like this. They are great.

FYI: I replaced the props as well with a aftermarket set. The kit props are molded backwards.

Atis

I have heard some guys use bare metal foil around the rims to act as a barrier between tire and plastic. If course getting the resin wheels would be easier and worry free. I have a few of these kits unopened and I am worried about those tires and what damage they may have caused. I had an open kit and checked it when I first heard of this and sure enough. the tire had melted its way into the fuselage where it was touching.

Max Bryant

Edited by mightymax
as the plastic nosegear has a tendency to collapse if the model is properly weighted.

I must say, I rather find myself in disagreement with the quoted commentary. If the model is properly weighted, basic physics says that the majority of the weight is carried by the main struts and the nose strut is only propping the nose off the ground. The Tigercat needs almost more weight than will actually fit inside just to get past the tipping point, there isn't any room to add enough to actually stress the nose strut much. As evidence, if any of you have the opportunity to visit the USN Test Pilot School there is a Tigercat built shortly after the kit was originally released, with adequate weight to keep the nose down, that the plastic strut is holding up just fine on. That particular plane also has the original rubber tires installed with Bare Metal Foil on the hubs for a barrier and was doing quite well in that regard also as of 2-3 weeks or so ago when I saw it last. The biggest advantage to the metal strut is to add some additional weight at the front end.

Edited for content. Appologies all around if my choice of words offended.

Edited by Joe Hegedus
Here's another question, the tigercat was a plane that had a radar operator, or am I mistaken? All the pictures that I've seen do not show a canopy for said operator as in the photo above,but it does come with the kit(canopy for the radar operator).

Depends on the version of the plane. The F7F-2 and F7F-3 were single seaters, whereas the F7F-2N, F7F-3N and F7F-4N were 2-seaters that had a second, flush canopy aft of the main cockpit, over the wing. The -2N had a short tail and the standard nose profile of a Tigercat, the -3N had the tall tail and the big nose unique to that variant, and the -4N had the tall tail and the standard nose profile again.

And no, B-25 or B-26 wheels would not be correct. For the main wheels, you can substitute TBM Avenger wheels, but for the nose you'll need to find the actual Tigercat wheel-it was unique.

Here are a few scans of a few accessories for the Tigercat. The Eduard PE st and a couple pics of the True Detail resin wheels. Obscureco has replacement Hamilton Standard propellers. I have some, but can't lay my hands on them at the moment. Don M.

TigercatPE1.jpg

TigercatPE2.jpg

TigercatPE3.jpg

Hey Joe,Viper50, I do appreciate all the info on this subject. Do you know if TD still has them in stock?Can't seem to find anything in my Squadron catalog.Also does TD have a web site?

Thanks,Pete

Great Models has them listed.

I wonder if that effect with rubber tires varies on different kits? I've got a pair of rubber tires I used on a kitbash and it's been hanging from my ceiling for three years now with no damage to either the rubber tire or the styrene rim.

I can't remember if I painted the entire rim before I put the tires on or only the center of the rims afterwards.

Bri2k

Regarding the nose weighting question: it's my understanding that the real thing was something of a tailsitter given half the chance, ie with low to no fuel, payload and crew on board. I was given the impression that you could almost build one as a tailsitter and still be accurate. Anyone else heard this or was I sadly misinformed?

Regarding the nose weighting question: it's my understanding that the real thing was something of a tailsitter given half the chance, ie with low to no fuel, payload and crew on board. I was given the impression that you could almost build one as a tailsitter and still be accurate. Anyone else heard this or was I sadly misinformed?
I don't know. But it makes for a good story!
I don't know. But it makes for a good story!

I've seen at least one photo of an F7F-3N in Korea on its tail; one could do that but to be strictly correct one would need to modify the nose strut so that the oleo section is fully extended.