I've seen at least one photo of an F7F-3N in Korea on its tail; one could do that but to be strictly correct one would need to modify the nose strut so that the oleo section is fully extended.
And in a diorama, or the concept would be mis-understood.
Regarding the nose weighting question: it's my understanding that the real thing was something of a tailsitter given half the chance, ie with low to no fuel, payload and crew on board. I was given the impression that you could almost build one as a tailsitter and still be accurate. Anyone else heard this or was I sadly misinformed?

Yes, the Tigercat was a tail sitter. I worked around several in the late '60's, early '70's as fire bombers. When the tanks were removed, we often put 55 gallon drums with rail road ties criss crossed on top under the tail. The AMT kit actually comes with a 55 gallon drum with a crate on top of it just for that purpose.

QUOTE (dsmith @ Aug 25 2008, 11:26 AM)

Man those TD wheels are ugly.....Someone should make some new replacements.......

Cheers,

-Doug

Yeah they are. So.......yours will be out when?

In progress :woot.gif:

Cheers,

-Doug :P

Now we just need a new set of decals for the F7F-3 day fighter. I used my Three Guys (I think) on mine and have watched it's wheels be eaten away every time I go to Hobbyland Graceland and look up when I am buying something, as it hangs over the register.

Did Italeri ever repop the F7F-3? I know they did the F7F-3N - and included newly tooled wheels last year.

Matt

Edited by Matt Roberts
Now we just need a new set of decals for the F7F-3 day fighter. I used my Three Guys (I think) on mine and have watched it's wheels be eaten away every time I go to Hobbyland Graceland and look up when I am buying something, as it hangs over the register.

Did Italeri ever repop the F7F-3? I know they did the F7F-3N - and included newly tooled wheels last year.

Matt

I don't believe they did, Matt. They did an F7F-2N which could be done as a -3. You would have to sand the frame down on the rear canopy and paint over it.

You can also get the corrected props from Obscureco Aircraft. And a heck of a lot cheaper that the Cutting Edge set ever was!

I've seen at least one photo of an F7F-3N in Korea on its tail; one could do that but to be strictly correct one would need to modify the nose strut so that the oleo section is fully extended.

It could be one of the Tigercats which have been clipped by a B-29 while running off the runway and clipping the tails of almost half of a squadron of F7Fs which were on the tarmac there... :D

Shameless plug here. I make a weight for the F7F kits that does not stress the gear

How does that work? I've pondered over gluing the nosewheel down to a display base; but if there's a way of adding weight without it actually bearing down on the undercarriage, I might be interested ...

How does that work? I've pondered over gluing the nosewheel down to a display base; but if there's a way of adding weight without it actually bearing down on the undercarriage, I might be interested ...

The weight is designed to fit directly over the nose gear and is just heavy enough to hold the nose down but not so heavy as to overstress any of the gear. I have several F7F's that have been resting on all three for 6-7 years with no ill effects.(Other than one with the "rubber" tires melting the wheels.)

HTH, Terry