My first time crossing into the Dark Side

Hi all

Here's the start of my very first armor kit. The Strykers from Fort Lewis train at the Yakima Training Center about ten miles from my house and I see them often. Carolyn and I went to the hobby shop in Tacoma, and saw that this kit on sale for $19.99 (normally $39.99) and so I had to get it. It's eventually going to go with a 1/35 Kiowa Warrior (which also occasionally makes an appearance at the YTC) in a diorama.

I was going to scratch-build the slat armor, but it seems like most of the Strykers around here don't have them installed...is that something that would normally stay in-country where it is needed?

Anyways, any comments are welcome.

Aaron

100_3173.jpg

100_3174.jpg

100_3175.jpg

100_3176.jpg

yep as anthony said only in iraq is were they have the extra addons. if thats the afv version you got a sweet deal on that one. come over on armorama site and join the stryker campaing thats going on now. i am about to start on mine i hope by thrusday.

Edited by GA.modelmaker

Hello Aaron

Great start on the Stryker, and a great price. I built 7 Stryker to date…5 with slat 2 without. Out of the 7 two were Trumpeters. The other was AFV which are better. I’m not saying that this is a bad kit but there are some updates you may want to look into. AFV make a replacement RWS (Remote Weapon Station) .50cal that replaces the Trumpy one.

~35157~404544.jpg

Not sure how far you want to get into this build…but Trumpeter also has a upgrade set that helps replace some things missing, one big one is the brush guards for the struts.

Stryker Upgrade...Perth Modeling

Here is a web page from Perth Military Modeling that’s dedicated to Stryker modeling.

Stryker Reviews

As for Stryker’s in the states, no you won’t see them with slat armor. However you will see them (most times) with the blast shields on. Scratchbuilding slat armor…well it could be done. I started doing it when the first Stryker’s hit the shelves, but soon after Eduard came out with their PE set and I just finished up using them.

For paint, well Model Masters makes a Med. Green that’s close. I mix Tamiyas XF-67 and XF-65...50%-50%. It’s pretty darn close or just use the NATO XF-67 straight from the bottle. Either way it's all good.

Looking forward to your next progress pics,

Joe

Looking good Aaron. :cheers:

I've got the Strikers little older brother, a 1/35 Trumpy LAV-25 that I have been eyeballing for a while now. That tricky looking suspension assembly and rubber tires always seem to put me off.

Keep up the great work,

Mark

Looking good Aaron. :cheers:

I've got the Strikers little older brother, a 1/35 Trumpy LAV-25 that I have been eyeballing for a while now. That tricky looking suspension assembly and rubber tires always seem to put me off.

Keep up the great work,

Mark

Hi Mark

The suspension on the Stryker is pretty fiddly, but has so far went together very well. I've not encountered any problems with it yet. Just take your time cutting the parts off of the sprue and make sure you study the instructions well (and dry fit) and I think you'll be just fine. I'll keep you informed as I go as to any trouble spots.

Aaron