Spraying yellow

Hi guys moment of truth is approaching, got to spray a yellow wing (well two of em ) last time I tried got a real patchy

covering the grey primer showed through no matter how many coats sprayed on used Gunz stripped that, used xtracolour the same. this time I've used a white primer, whats the best way to get a good even cover? is it best to try 3-4 mist coats well thinned 60%+.

Andy. :sunrevolves:

On my search and rescue Labrador (yellow with red stripe) I used a white undercoat then two layers of plain old model master yellow.

Turned out pretty good. Not patchy at all.

Although I am pretty loyal to GSI/Gunze acrylics there are still a few MM enamels that I keep for this very reason....better coverage. In particular, for yellows and whites, I use MM enamels as they coat far better than the acrylics. As mentioned above, when shooting yellow, you should have a white undercoat....then only have to apply a few light coats of yellow to get adequate coverage without your base color showing through.

Greg

Pretty much what the others have said. I use strictly acrylics and apply a base coat of very light grey or white (white is also a tough one to get to cover well, at least for me). Better results will be obtained with several light coats, don't try for single coat coverage. Pressure and thinning ratio should be whatever works for you.

Yellow paints are almost universally transluscent. Ditto reds, fluorescents, blues and oranges. Always spray over a smooth white base coat, and if your plastic is really dark and/or has lots of really prominent filler (say, light grey plastic with lots of Bondo Red and Squadron Green), prime the kit with a paler neutral grey before spraying the white. And spray lighter coats of the yellow until you're happy with the colour depth.

Andy,

I prefer to use Tamiya White primer. It is thin, and is great at covering light colored plastic, or for undercoating for light colored finish coats. While it may be a little more expensive than some other choices, I prefer to think of it as an "investment" in assuring a good finish coat. Just my two cents. Good luck on your project.

Sincerely,

David

I've always had great results spraying whites, yellows, and reds over a very thin coat of silver. The reflectiveness of the silver helps to make the colors "pop" a little more with fewer coats to build up the pigment.

hth,

Mike

Yeah..yellow can be a real PITA...I've had good luck with shooing thinned down MM flat white....let it cure for a few days (not just dry)...then use MM RLM04 Yellow.....

Hope your project turns out well for you..

Good to go,

Jim

Edited by Sabre

Try spraying yellow over red, not white. Most "aircraft" yellows are quite rich/gold in color---red will help. White is "so white/reflective" that it'll just shine through the yellow, making it look even lighter/thinner.

Honestly, I have found that many yellows are so transparent, that even applying yellow paint over yellow plastic--the plastic still shows through on the third coat! But using the same paint over orange or red---far more "rich yellow color" in fewer coats.