Here's what I did with my old living room couch in 2003.

I had just bought a big screen TV and I had to toss out the old couch to fit everything into my modest living room. Being too cheap to have it hauled to the dump. I decided to dismantle it and throw it out in the regular trash...one piece at a time. In the process of taking it apart, I found a very nice maple frame and good maple is too expensive to throw away. So I glued some old couch frame into a block and started doing some woodwork.

The MARS-1 is one of the most ubiquitous classic spaceships of the 1950's. In one form or another, it probably appeared in about 5 movies. The original was FLIGHT TO MARS. IIRC, that was about 1951. Later, airlocks were added and it became the Challenge 142 from IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE.

I'm a fan of the classic silver ships with silver wings. I never got into what I call the "sewage treatment plant" school of spaceship design. For a generation, movie spaceships have been designed with leaking pipes, venting steam, dripping oil and pervasive rust stains. I don't get the appeal of orbiting garbage scows. I'm told that they are "more realistic". Hmmm. If I ever get into that style, I've got some rusty old toilet parts from my last bathroom renovation that will be perfect for the job. Meanwhile, this plain old silver ship will have to do.

mars1.jpg

mars1b.jpg

that's awesome Brent! looks like you must a really well stocked wood working shop. i wish i could take a hunk of wood and come out with something that pretty. ever thought about using this as a master and selling vac-kits of it or something?

so how big is it anyway?

Bill

Funny thing...as soon as I posted it, I thought, "I forgot to tell people how big it is".

It's about 18" tall.

My woodshop has gotten better over the years but it's still rudimentary. I don't have anything that any regular Joe couldn't pick up cheap. My wood lathe is just something I ordered out of the Sears catalogue 15 years ago. I bought a book to teach myself how turn wood. Most of the stuff I have is just light duty equipment from Sears or Home Depot. The only seriously imposing piece of gear I have is a 14" Delta bandsaw.

I'd love to make a simple kit someday. I keep telling myself that will be an upcoming project. Honestly, if casting supplies were easier to get around here, I think I would have done it by now. One day..

• 2 weeks later...

That's a beautiful piece Brent.

I agree on the sleek smooth spaceship designs, they are much more appealing. "Sewage Treatment Plant" LOLz! I have never heard that one before.

If you ever want to make a pattern for a model I know Allen at Fantastic Plastic is always looking for cool Retro Sci-Fi stuff. :thumbsup:

Edited by Blappy