I was planning on doing an Md-11 conversion, but finding the DC-10 kit is hard. The A340 is much easier to find.

How would I do an A340-600 conversion in 1/144? What would I need to do to the wings, fuse.?

What can I do for the engines? Thanks!

Other than the basic fuselage barrels and the cockpit/nose, everything else (and I mean *everything*) on the A340-500/600 is different, in most cases markedly so. The entire wing is different (broader chord), horizontal stabs are different, vertical stab is different, APU/aft fuselage is different, landing gear/wheels different, engines different, wing/body fairing greatly different.

Aside from that it's exactly the same...

J

Thats what I heard. It was going to be over 100 euros. I could probably buy 6-8 A340 kits for that. I emailed Ivo and he said he would restart it (This was in January).

I spoke with him on the phone about a week ago, and he had just received the price quote for the fuselage halves. After he got up off the floor, he decided not to do the project.

J

I can imagine! The Tu-114 is rather pricey, I hate to see this. it would be nice if he did Trent 500's. I can probably do the rest. I still have hope for one of these, as well as an Md-11. I *might* get a Sanger Il-76 and do some work to make an Il-76MF. Anyone have PS-90 plans?

I *might* get a Sanger Il-76 and do some work to make an Il-76MF. Anyone have PS-90 plans?

Sanger!?!? Why? The A-model Il-76 (once you shorten all the gear legs several mm's) is light years better than the Sanger thing...

J

Sanger!?!? Why? The A-model Il-76 (once you shorten all the gear legs several mm's) is light years better than the Sanger thing...

J

I would replace the Amodel Il-76 main gear legs with scratch-builds - they are waaaaay too flimsy as supplied...

.....as well as being too long as Jennings has said.

I used the main legs as supplied, but drilled through them and fitted brass rod axles.

Amodel supply half-axles, that are nowhere near strong enough..... :salute:

by GCA333....

I *might* get a Sanger Il-76 and do some work to make an Il-76MF. Anyone have PS-90 plans

You would also have to stretch the fuselage to make an Il-76MF - as well as making PS-90 nacelles and pylons.

If you do make PS-90's, you could use the Amodel fuselage as is - and fit PS-90's to make the new Il-76MD-90......

day03_035.jpg

OR, fit an NK-93 ducted fan to the inner port position to make an Il-76LL......

day03_004.jpg

Sorry, GCA333, we seem to have hi-jacked your thread :rolleyes:

Ken :cheers:

Edited by Flankerman

I actually hijacked my own! Glad to have your input, Jennings and Ken.

I think I'll do the Sanger one. It has a 6.6 strech and looks like its divided evenly between the fron and back. Plastic Piping and putty would make a good extension. I would have to extend the fairing by the gear, but there is plenty of putty in the world.

I'll have to get custom decals too. I think making 1/72 PS90's would require me to have 1/144 PS90's. They are not too complex in shape, so all I need are some rough dimensions and more plastic piping.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, ready for another twist?

The -500/600 conv. IS going to happen, as of this week. The price will be high.

It will be released mid-November 2008. All I know right now.

All I need are some Trent 500's, I can cut the fuse. wings and the rest myself!

Still, I'll have to pick one if these up.

OK, ready for another twist?

The -500/600 conv. IS going to happen, as of this week. The price will be high.

It will be released mid-November 2008. All I know right now.

All I need are some Trent 500's, I can cut the fuse. wings and the rest myself!

Still, I'll have to pick one if these up.

Whose conversion are you talking about? Braz is not doing it, not last time we spoke anyway, and I've had several emails from him in the past week that didn't mention it.

J

Unless you've heard something directly from Ivo in the past 5 days since I spoke with him, he is NOT doing the conversions. The retail price would have had to be over 100 Euros - without a decal sheet, and there simply isn't the market for it.

Don't look for Revell to do one either as Airbus is now charging licensing fees for models (rather than subsidizing as they used to with Revell).

J

An MD-11 would make me just as happy!

Me too, wahhh, a MD-11 by today's standards, wahhh!

Not sure if Minicraft considers the DC-8 range kits a "good operation" in terms of profitability but if it is the case, they could consider the MD-11, though I'm not sure it will be a good seller... how popular is the MD-11 actually? I adore it and could buy between 4 and 7, but that's me.

The good point is that I still find it easier to convert a MD-11 to a DC-10 (huge work though, especially the no 2 engine, smaller fin and horiz stabs, much different engines and wing/fuselage fairings) rather than the opposite (adding fuselage plugs, scratchbuilding the wing extension and winglets, ...).

Yep Minicraft, you know what to do now...

Steven

What is wrong with the Welsh Models vacform of the MD-11. Apart from being a vacform?<_< If you can convert a DC-10 to an MD-11, then surely building a vacform shouldn't be beyond your abilities...?

Jens

Nothing actually, I think it is Welsh's best effort, with their 747SP, until now.

Sad thing about vacs is that no details are figured, I'm speaking of the beautiful recessed details seen on all modern 1/144 airliner kits and, though we all know these recessed details are overdone (even on Zvezda's beautiful Tu-154M kit, though it's obviously the finest I've ever seen), they add "stature" to a kit. Take a look at Hasegawa's 1/200 737-300/-400/-500 and MD-90 kits, they look sooo boring with their bare fuselages. Although I like the MD-11 and 747SP kits very much, I'm still hesitating to pay a premium for a kit which will be less detailed and more complicated to build. Even if it's the "only game in town".

Regards, Steven

Should you choose to convert some DC-10 kits, you will have only raised panel lines to help you, and you will still have to rescribe or draw the panel lines on with a technical pencil. The latter can be quite effective if done with restraint. If the subject you are modelling is well maintained, there will be little panel lines to be seen anyway, and you won't have to replicate each and every panel. A look at airliners.net will show plenty of examples of some panels being invisible whereas others really stand out (e.g. wheel doors and thrust reverser cowlings).

Jens

Should you choose to convert some DC-10 kits, you will have only raised panel lines to help you, and you will still have to rescribe or draw the panel lines on with a technical pencil.

Jens

100% correct, that's why I wrote I thought easier to convert a modern-tooled MD-11 kit into a DC-10; you already have most of the panel lines in place, and I still find easier to remove fuselage plugs (okay, the plug aft the wing will be quite tricky because of the non-constant fuselage section) then add them but then that's just me.

I also entirely agree about the fact that most panel lines being almost invisible when looked at from say 30-50ft but I think an Otaki 1/144 L-1011 kit with its heavy recessed details will look much more interesting than say a Welsh 1/144 L-1011 with no panel lines at all (I chose this example since the Welsh kit is said to be based on the Japanese kit).

It's just a matter of preference.

Getting back to the A340-500/-600 story, you guys made me wonder: am I going to pull out my 3 A340-300 kits peacefully resting in the basement tonight? Very tempting.