OK, got started with the grunt work. Just got the IG and the seat done in Alum. I know this kit has a real shape problem as far as wing location and the attendant "bulge" under it. There is a fix described on HyperScale that I'm not sure whether or not I want to attempt. http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2000/p40brb_1.htm. I realize that the majority of folks that will ultimately view this model will be lucky to know it's a P-40, much less shape stuff. I'm not too anal. but the shape really is quite aways off. I just don't know yet if I want to tackle the fix.

Anyway- first, the kit. Almost OOB except the beautiful Ultracast seat. There were a few things I'd prepainted ages ago. I have multiples of almost every kit I own, so if I were starting one, I'd pull the appropriate trees from the dups and paint those too. Today, the B/C, E and N got this treatment :whistle:

080829001.jpg

The first paint swipes-

080829005.jpg

The proposed scheme, Haywood's 49-

080829009.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The side console interior for this kit is molded into each fuselage half. Not much there. But with my P-40N using a TD 'pit, I say, waste not, want not. So that kits pit will end up here. It's no great shakes, but it'll do fine in those close confines. With a little paint, I don't thin it looks too bad.

The instrument panel is from the kit. Just a bit of white prisma pencil to the raised portion of each dial and a couple of drops of Kleer and it looks fine. I'll add a bit of color to those raised "knobs before I'm done.

B-1.jpg

These are the stock side panels from the AMT N kit. The painting is the same as described in the N build. The black and silver placards are from Mike Grant decals, and the red ones are outta the spares box. It'd be neat if Mike would include some red and white placards with his beautiful silver/black ones. As you can see, if you look at the cockpit of the new Hase P-40, these are way less than those, but I think they'll serve the purpose just fine.

B-2.jpg

B-3.jpg

And again, the piece that will really be front and center is the seat. Ultracast again wins any contests hands down as far as a beautifully cast piece. For the P-40, they have the American harness version and the Brit Sutton harness version (See the P-40E build). I understand the AVG P-40s did not have the shoulder harnesses, but I'm afraid mine will. I'm also led to believe that P-40s all the way till the N had unpainted alum seats, thus my rendition.....

B-5.jpg

Just a quick comparison of the Ultracast to kit seat.

B-6.jpg

The thing about the HC P-40 that is most glaringly wrong is the wing is too high up on the fuselage. Even I couldn't live with that :lol:, so following the above reference article, here's the removal progress.

B-7.jpg

B-8.jpg

B-9.jpg

So far, that's as far as I've venture on this one.........