Airfix F-27 Reissue

It's supposedly way better than its Esci pretender to the throne, which is said to have several severe shape issues. I have one of the Esci kits in the stash, but I've never seen an Airfix F27 so I couldn't comment on the differences.

Cheers,

Andre

What are the several severe shape issues with the Esci F-27?

Here's one that I built - when it was unlikely the Airfix kit would ever be heard of again.

Esci_Fokker_F27.jpg

Sorry being that pessimistic and (more embarrassing since I have right now no station diagrams where to redirect you), vague... almost everything in the ESCI Fokker F27 is wrong, most alarmingly being the fuselage cross section and dimensions.

The time I didn't know about these discussion forums, I paid big $ for a mint ESCI F27 in a special livery, a box said to be scarce. Got my kit, was sooo happy with its nice recessed details (maybe the only nice feature in this kit, along with the nicely printed decal sheet) and it "looked" like a F27. At this time I just didn't want to bother with the Airfix kit as ESCI's looked so much more modern... until a Dutch friend redirected me to an "accurate" F27 plan in 1/72 (we all know about plans and station diagrams, which are all said to be "accurate"...): placed the ESCI F27 fuselage onto the plan, came out completely off, same with the wings and turboprop pods. Then again I paid big $ for an Airfix kit, got it a month later, compared it to the plan... not perfect (it needs the radar nose, 2 fuselage lengthening plugs and the vertical stab strake in order to depict a later F27) but then let's say a 90% improvement over the ESCI kit.

Actually, I'm quite surprised at how many Airfix "ancient" kits turn out to be THE choice :D despite their "old technology" feel, their old but very good Lockheed C-130 Hercules kit (I just got one very old boxing, 3-4 parts flying but the sprues are superb, featuring NOT a single flash, castings are very nice, ok raised details but of constant quality, ok low level of detailing but so much can be scratchbuilt) comes to my mind, then their very nice Fokker F27 kit and certainly a few other.

TimMansfield, BRAVO, your ESCI F27 is beautifully finished, I love these Dutch military liveries F27!

Sorry being that pessimistic and (more embarrassing since I have right now no station diagrams where to redirect you),

TimMansfield, BRAVO, your ESCI F27 is beautifully finished, I love these Dutch military liveries F27!

Thanks for your honesty about the kit, and the compliment about mine.

This was one of several Esci kits, bought at severly cut-price, when a local newsagent went south.

You've got to be a bit wary of some of the Airfix airliners though. Some (747 and L-1011 I think) we based on drawings before the real things were built, some are based on prototypes (BAC 1-11, VC-10). Others are real gems though, like the A300, which was developed with Airbus IIRC

Well

I *was* going to build an Air Anglia F-27 using the re-issued Airfix kit (since it is supposed to have the radar nose and updated props) for the airliner GB.

However, I may have to kitbash the airfix kit with an extra Esci kit that I have...

I thought I heard a couple of weeks ago that they waiting on the decals (which were at the printers...)

I figure I'm going to have to START mine in order to get Airfix moving...

• 2 months later...

WOOHOO!!!!!!!

So glad to see that the F-27 has been released finally!!! :thumbsup:

It's just too darn bad that they didn't pull their fingers out SOONER as I've missed the airliner GB :worship:

Well, at least it's out now!

Decals are TAA (Aussie), NLM (Dutch) and Turkish Airlines - a lovely decal sheet.

That's great news! I'm looking forward to getting one and building the TAA version out of the box. I had fears that the decals were typical 'old Airfix'. Sounds like this is one are where things are improving.

Kev

• 1 year later...
Decals are TAA (Aussie), NLM (Dutch) and Turkish Airlines - a lovely decal sheet.

For those so inclined, there is a special boxing for the Dutch market with an added decal sheet by Flevo Decals for the three Friendships used by the KLu's 334th Squadron (C-1 to 3) in three different color schemes (early White over Light Grey with Dayglo, NATO green / grey camo and the later White over Light Grey VIP scheme).

The box can be recognized by the sticker in the right:

Airfix%20F27-1.jpg

And these are the excellent decals:

Airfix%20F27-2.jpg

Cheers,

Andre