Hi all, just thought I's share one of my latest projects. It's Accurate Miniatures' 1:48 TBF/M-1C Avenger. I haven't decided on whether I want to do an Atlantic or tricolor scheme (any opinions?) yet, and it's currently waiting for paint. I decided to add a lot of detail to the interior, especially the rear fuselage, as you can see in the pics.

Anywho, here are some (Read: lots of) progress pictures. Hope ya like 'em!

The radio room bulkhead: (it's not really visible at all, but I know it's there...)

DSC00600.jpg

The equipment shelf:

DSC00602.jpg

The turret shelf: (also not all that visible)

DSC00603.jpg

The rear bulkhead:

DSC00614.jpg

Left rear fuselage:

DSC00619.jpg

Cockpit sidewalls:

DSC00588.jpg

DSC00598.jpg

Now for some paint!

The panel:

DSC00638.jpg

Cockpit floor:

DSC00645.jpg

(continued with more pictures)

Cockpit sidewalls:

DSC00631.jpg

DSC00633.jpg

Everything all together:

DSC00651.jpg

The engine deserves its own section (and a quick how-to!)

First, I cut away all of the kit's pushrods and wiring, and cut .020 styrene rod to the right length. I glued 14 pieces onto the engine for pushrods:

DSC006459.jpg

Then, I made holes with a pin for the first wires:

DSC0064591.jpg

I added the wires:

DSC0064592.jpg

Then cut them to length and posed them:

DSC0064593.jpg

(And finally...)

Then I added the next set:

DSC0064594.jpg

The next pair was made by folding short lengths of wire in half:

DSC0064598.jpg

Then, the wires werefolded over theends of the cylinders and the excess was trimmed off:

DSC0064599.jpg

Next came a coat of Testors Metalizer gunmetal and thedetail painting:

DSC00645910.jpg

And finally, it was given a very dark (almost black) brown wash to bring out the details:

DSC00645912.jpg

Then it was installed on the model:

DSC00663.jpg

That's all I've got so far. I'm heading off to college on Thursday morning though, so don't expect an update anytime soon. I'll probably be able to work on it when I come home every few weekends or so, but progress will be very slow.

Anywho, as usual, questions, comments, criticism, and suggestions are all welcome.

Thanks for looking!

Wow! That is some amazing detail work! My flabber is gasted! :worship:

No criticisms here at all. Love all the interior work and engine detail. As for any suggestions for the scheme, why not go with the less traveled road and do the Atlantic scheme?

:cheers:

looks great. I have built two of these..and I love the model. if I may ask..what colour did you use for the cockpit area?? I'm assuming its a version of bronze green but I have yet to find that colour( tho I also haven't been actively looking..but it would be a great colour to have in my collection!!!)

Sean

looks great. I have built two of these..and I love the model. if I may ask..what colour did you use for the cockpit area?? I'm assuming its a version of bronze green but I have yet to find that colour( tho I also haven't been actively looking..but it would be a great colour to have in my collection!!!)

Sean

Thanks for your comments guys! The green is an old Humbrol/Monogram (at least the tin looks pretty old) Medium green 42. it doesn't have the normal humbrol number on it, so I don't know exactly what it is. It's almost a perfect match for a couple of chips of actual WWII vintage bronze/medium green I have though, so I know it's pretty accurate...

Thanks for your comments guys! The green is an old Humbrol/Monogram (at least the tin looks pretty old) Medium green 42. it doesn't have the normal humbrol number on it, so I don't know exactly what it is. It's almost a perfect match for a couple of chips of actual WWII vintage bronze/medium green I have though, so I know it's pretty accurate...

dang!! I was hoping there was a new version of it out somewhere. A MM equivelant would be great. I guess I am just going to have to find another way to come up with it.

Sean

dang!! I was hoping there was a new version of it out somewhere. A MM equivelant would be great. I guess I am just going to have to find another way to come up with it.

Sean

I do have one similar color- Model Master RAF dark green, with possibly a tiny bit of blue and a little black and/or gray- that was my old bronze green mix before I discovered this color. The RAF green by itself is a pretty close match anyway.

I do have one similar color- Model Master RAF dark green, with possibly a tiny bit of blue and a little black and/or gray- that was my old bronze green mix before I discovered this color. The RAF green by itself is a pretty close match anyway.

hmm...interesting. I have a ton of RAF dark green laying around as I usually do RAF machines.

I will have to test that out.

Thanks!!!

Sean