RC-135 aftermarket parts

There is a thread here where RC-135s were discussed last year.

I seem to recall another thread (which I can't find at the moment) that mentioned modifying the SLAR cheeks, I think the RC-135U conversion mentioned in the thread above had these update cheek fairings.

I have a set of resin KC-135 engines made from the AMT/Heller KC-135R engines that I will use for my Updated RC-135V, though I will probably not worry about modifying the cheeks at this stage.

Doing a search on the forums may give you more info.

:cheers:

About the only aftermarket item I've ever seen for the RC was Airwaves had a few photoetched antennas for the RC in their KC-135 etch set from many years ago. I seem to recall somebody also did an RC-135U Combat Scent conversion kit, but I can't recall who it was. Easiest way to get CFMs is to do an engine swap with a Heller or Italeri KC-135R and you'll have enough parts left over to do a KC-135E (which is what the TF-33 engines are best utilized for anyway due to their hump arrangement). And if you've read the previous thread, you would have read that already. But I like typing, so there. :cheers:

BTW, those RC-135 cheeks are not a form of "SLAR" at all. They are a sensor mount of some sort, but they are passive, not active as a SLAR requires a signal to be sent out. Do I know what is under there? Nope. I just know it isn't SLAR from talking to a couple buddies who were assigned to RCs in the 55th wing.

BTW, the current issue of Combat Aircraft (Volume 9, No. 4) has some excellent air to air shots of several RCs, including a few Rivet Joints. The antenna suite seen on most of the birds is a little different from one I recently saw on static display at the Offutt AFB open house. If you want shots of them, this is the most up to date magazine featuring them.

Edited by Jay Chladek
There is a thread here where RC-135s were discussed last year.

I seem to recall another thread (which I can't find at the moment) that mentioned modifying the SLAR cheeks, I think the RC-135U conversion mentioned in the thread above had these update cheek fairings.

I have a set of resin KC-135 engines made from the AMT/Heller KC-135R engines that I will use for my Updated RC-135V, though I will probably not worry about modifying the cheeks at this stage.

Doing a search on the forums may give you more info.

:cheers:

Ray,

Do you mind sharing the information on where did you get the resin KC-135R engines? I would like to get a set without buying an other kit. TIA.

Mike

Unless your going to copy the kit F-108 engines [uSAF name for the CFM-56] the only way to get them is to get the AMT KC-135R or Heller C-135FR or wait for the Italeri re-release of the same kit.

You can of course copy those parts but if you do you will need to reinforce the wings for sure because they droop anyway.

The site link above shows that Flightpath did an RC-135 Cobra Eye/ Cobra Ball conversion, they did not actually produce that conversion, they announced it and decided not to make it, Ive asked about it and they will not even make it as a private comission [all production costs paid so no risk to them if sales are low] they have to much other work on.

The Maintrack stuff is a possibility, or was, Im still hoping to bring some news about that but problems with it means it wont happen until next year maybe.

Best advice, get a KC-135R or C-135FR, build your RC-135 with the F-108's and build the KC-135 as an E or D.

The engine t/c hump configuration fits the KC-135E and a I know it also fits one of the KC-135D's too...

Or you could sell the KC-135R kit with the TF-33 engines as a going concern, people are always looking to build them because they were ANG

Actually if you want to build an updated RC-135V/W with CFM engines, the engines are the least of your worries. The AMT RC-135V kit has the old style LTV cheeks, which are hugely different from the currently used E-Systems cheeks. The newer ones (introduced on the RC-135W in the early 1980s) are much slimmer and more aerodynamic (as if that matters on an RC pig). The shape is totally different. AFAIK nobody has ever made the E-Systems cheeks available as an aftermarket accessory.

J

Ray,

Do you mind sharing the information on where did you get the resin KC-135R engines? I would like to get a set without buying an other kit. TIA.

Mike

Mike,

These were a one off using the Heller/AMT CFMs as a master, the engines were actually made for a 1/72 737 BBJ build before the Welsh kit hit the market (and yes I know the BBJ CFMs are a different shaped nacelle). I ended up getting a set of the CFMs and also bought the kit that was used to make the moulds for the engines from the same gent. I have no idea if he still has the moulds now, this was about 3 years ago when I got the engines. I would also like to state that they are not perfect and will need some work to fill some pin holes.

So in short they were a limited run (1 set) and as far as I know not available.

cheers:

The site link above shows that Flightpath did an RC-135 Cobra Eye/ Cobra Ball conversion

Which shows how much they know about 135s. The Ball and the Eye have almost nothing in common externally except that both are '135s.

J

Actually if you want to build an updated RC-135V/W with CFM engines, the engines are the least of your worries. The AMT RC-135V kit has the old style LTV cheeks, which are hugely different from the currently used E-Systems cheeks. The newer ones (introduced on the RC-135W in the early 1980s) are much slimmer and more aerodynamic (as if that matters on an RC pig). The shape is totally different. AFAIK nobody has ever made the E-Systems cheeks available as an aftermarket accessory.

J

Didnt the Combat Sent have the lower longer cheek panels?

I have a RC-135 kit that I want to modernize. Did anyone make a CFM56 (F108) engine pods and pylons for the AMT kit?

This is what I'm doing about the CFM-56's for my RC-135, I bought the Heller AWACS kit which includes both engine types (one for the U.S. version, and the other for the export version). I bought the Flightpath JSTARS conversion kit for the AWACS airframe, the older engines in the RC-135 kit are the correct engines for the JSTARS...waste not.

This is what I'm doing about the CFM-56's for my RC-135, I bought the Heller AWACS kit which includes both engine types (one for the U.S. version, and the other for the export version). I bought the Flightpath JSTARS conversion kit for the AWACS airframe, the older engines in the RC-135 kit are the correct engines for the JSTARS...waste not.

However, the Joint STARS is a 707-320B airframe, not a C-135 airframe. The nacelles themselves are pretty much the same, but the inboard pylons on 707s are much longer aft. Outboards are the same.

But... the Heller kits (707 and AWACS) all come with the correct engines for the J-STARS airframe (but alas, not for any AWACS except the two EC-137D prototypes in the early 1970s), so there's no need to get them from anywhere else.

J

However, the Joint STARS is a 707-320B airframe, not a C-135 airframe. The nacelles themselves are pretty much the same, but the inboard pylons on 707s are much longer aft. Outboards are the same.

But... the Heller kits (707 and AWACS) all come with the correct engines for the J-STARS airframe (but alas, not for any AWACS except the two EC-137D prototypes in the early 1970s), so there's no need to get them from anywhere else.

J

All the engines on the E-8 Jstars have a turbo compressor hump on them. Easy to fix if you have an extra set of engines. If you look close the intakes on the humps are blanked off, probably because there is nothing in there.

www.scalemodelworld.net/5jpp5f

www.scalemodelworld.net/6dvhm5

www.scalemodelworld.net/5o8uqy

www.scalemodelworld.net/5mnsoo

www.scalemodelworld.net/56nxza

www.scalemodelworld.net/5bb6m7

I posted this awhile back regarding the CFM-56 engines.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....st&p=761975

AFAIK nobody has ever made the E-Systems cheeks available as an aftermarket accessory.

Maintrack had them in their RC-135U conversion, which the moulds went to the owner of Whirlybits in the UK, but he apparently doesn't see a need for that conversion to be re-issued. :trolls::thumbsup:

Counting what Electrosoldier states above about the possibility of the Maintrack conversion appearing in some form... that's twice I've heard of something like this in the works... so lets hope something comes around sooner than later! Somebody I know talked to a fella at the Nats in VA, who was an RC-U crew member and is supposed to be re-working/updating a Maintrack conversion... but that's all I know for now unfortunately.

J.C it was you who put me onto Whirtlybirds in the first place...

He wont re-issue any of them... as the name of his company sugests, hes a Heli man.

Im hoping something will come of my efforts, but nothing to report as yet, dont hope this side of Q1 2009...

I know there is a market for it all, all you have to do is announce and they will come runnning, but it takes time... patience