1/72 F6F-5 Hellcat McCampbell

My first group build! Hope that getting on the bandwagon late does not keep me from completing this kit in time.

1/72 Academy F6F-5 Hellcat OOB with Decals from Hasegawa's F6F for MinsiIII

Recently got back into the hobby after a 12 year absence. Was going through my stash from 12 years ago and found that I had decals for 15 out of the 20 top WW2 American aces in 1/72. So, my long term goal is to build all 20. Will take some doing because there are no decals for three of the aces. I had a bunch of kits in 1/72 also, 2 of these Academy Hellcats, one Hasegawa (raised pannel lines and all). So the better kit gets the decals for the ace I want.

Commander David McCampbell Commander Air Group 15 USS Essex (CV-9) as flown for The Battle of Leyte Gulf Oct 1944.

So as I build the kits I am slowly bringing the modeling skills back up to par.

The start: all I have done is shoot some parts with MM zinc chromate green.

f6fip1dd5.th.jpg

now to put the office togeather and add some highlights.

Anyone have recommendations for best primer out of a spray can for these types of projects? Last one I primed was a P-47D razorback and the primer required too much wet sanding and was a bit too thick.

Edited by icekj

Welcome to the group build, icekj, and welcome back to modeling. Four weeks should be plenty of time to finish this model.

Tamiya's Fine Surface Primer is a pretty decent spray can primer that should be available in most markets. Just go lightly on the application.

Some progress,

First wing glued, edges sanded and positions for ordinance filled

Today's lesson: tenax does not mix well with thumbs, causes you to fill and sand the thumbprint

f6fip2ak6.th.jpg

Fuselage glued togeather and some sanding still to be done, cockpit done and installed

f6fip3dx4.th.jpg

closeup of cockpit

f6fip4yi1.th.jpg

more to come!

More updates from a lazy sunday............

Starting to look like a hellcat

f6fip5th9.th.jpg

Engine while waiting for the grey to dry and the drop tank ready for some preping for primer

f6fip6cu3.th.jpg

Waiting for the putty to dry before doing some more sanding on the joint on the bottom of the fuslage

f6fip7oi1.th.jpg

Looks like I am going to have to rescribe the pannel lines at the joints of the pieces...... never done it before........any advice?

Soon..... we shall have primer! (ordered some Tamiya fine white from the LHS on your recomendation, should be in Tues)

nice build thread. Always nice to see the ones with so much detail. What are you using for putty? Is that the squadron red-stuff? I heard nothing but bad things about it

I recently got back into the hobby from 12 years ago. The red putty is the tube of Dr Microtools I had that I rescued from hardening. A paint jar and some nail polish remover did wonders. It is red, cures quickly, if very fine, and dries to a easily sandable hardness. From what I understand this has not been on the market in years. Someday when this runs out I will have to figure out what I am going to use next.

Ken

I went and picked up my can of Tamiya primer today, got home, did the final sanding and filling today and was looking at the model and all the pannel lines I have sanded away.

F6FIP10.jpg

F6FIP11.jpg

F6FIP8.jpg

F6FIP9.jpg

So I ordered a Squadron scribing tool and await it's delivery on friday.

Never done scribing before so I asked some advice on the T&T forum. Looking forward to learning a new technique.

Scribing then some priming for the 'cat.

While you're waiting for that Squadron scriber to arrive, why not try scribing on some spare plastic stock? You can use the back of the point of an xacto blade or a sewing needle in a pin vise or in wood dowel.

Draw out some lines in pencil. Lay down a metal or plastic guide and go to it. It'll give you a feel for what you'll be doing on your Hellcat.

Sunday nite updates

OK, spent the a evening learning how to scribe the panel lines I filled/sanded on the joints.

I think all in all it turned out well for my first try at scribing.

Some re-scribing and parafilm on the canopy for masking. I usually paint a quick shot of green on it so the inside of the canopy rails are green when you look inside. Now waiting a few days before hitting it with the tamiya white primer.

F6FIP12.jpg

Couple of close-ups of the panel scribing job (hope you can see it)

F6FIP13.jpg

F6FIP14.jpg

And now the smaller bits ready for priming too.

F6FIP15.jpg

All in all I am very happy so far with this build. learning new stuff and making a model I will not be ashamed of two years from now.

Ken

Thanks johnsan for recomending the tamiya fine white primer. I really liked how this worked. How many models do you get out of a can on adverage?

Here are the pics after priming, got a couple spots to sand and reshoot but nothing heavy.

F6FIP16.jpg

F6FIP17.jpg

F6FIP18.jpg

F6FIP19.jpg

F6FIP20.jpg

This is my first attempt at rescribing the panel lines that I erased with filling and sanding on joints. I think it turned out better then I had hoped for. Now to do some quick sanding, hit it tomorrow with some primer and get it ready for the blue.

Enjoy!

Ken

Ken, your Hellcat is looking pretty good. If I could offer a small suggestion? You have a gap in the tail wheel bay. A little Elmer's Glue should plug that nicely.

Glad you liked the primer. I can't say how many models you can get out of a can. I've only bought 1 can and it's still about half full. I only use it for really small things I don't want to clean my airbrush over. Generally I use Mr Base White 1000 thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner shot through the airbrush. I really like this combination much more than the Tamiya spray can. But you asked about spray can primers. Still the Tamiya primer is a good product and I do use it occasionally.

I really think your Hellcat is looking good. I'm anxious to see it painted and decaled.

John

Here is the latest update, just waiting a couple days for the acrylics to fully cure before shooting it with Future. The model is assembled and the landing gear and bays have been weathered. Black wash then a very light dry brushing with mithril silver.

So, Future coat in a day or two, then wait for that to fully cure for a couple days.... then decals..... then a couple days for them to fully dry then a coat of flat then weathering and panel line chalk. Then I have some MM satin clear for the final coat.

F6FIP21.jpg

F6FIP22.jpg

F6FIP23.jpg

F6FIP24.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Ken

PS: I did go in and fill the tail wheel bay seam

Edited by icekj

And now... with decals......

Every time I use future glosscoat and the solvaset as the setting solution I am more and more impressed with the results.

Most of the decals are from the Hasegawa F6F kit but used some of the data from the Academy. Whatever I am doing it even made the Academy decals snug right down with no silvering.

quick request before the pics, I have to install the windows behind the canopy after the final satin is sprayed on. I was planing on drilling out most the area then carefully shaping them with files to the kit windows. A easier way may be using a clear glue (testors clear parts cement) and filling in those holes. Anyone have any advice on which way to go?

enjoy!

Ken

F6FIP27.jpg

F6FIP26.jpg

F6FIP25.jpg

F6FIP28.jpg

F6FIP29.jpg

That is looking very nice indeed, Sir!

You made an excellent job of the scribing.

If the Testor's product is a heavy white glue, it should be possible to pull a film of it over the gap of the windows, and make the transparency that way. If it does not work, no harm will be done; the stuff is easily removed. I have done a few window panels that way, and the effect is clear enough. Anything up to a quarter inch square is in reach of the technique.

Update without pics

The good: the decals look awesome after a coat of semi-gloss clear.

I drilled starter holes and then filed out the spaces for the rear windows behind the canopy. Slowly working on enlarging the spaces till

they just fit the windows, I am very please with the testors clear parts cement and how it works and dried when installing these windows.

I am almost done!

The bad: when I started removing the parafilm off the canopy it really looked aweful, the white primer was showing at the edges arround the dark blue.

in the process of removing the parafilm I broke off the antenna mast and lost it

sence I installed the canopy with elmer's glue I took it off and soaked in windex for a few hours to strip it. paint came off fine with a toothbrush

and fingernail.

when I drilled a hole for the new stretched sprue antenna mast that I made I split the seam all the way up to the cockpit.

ended up using superglue to redo the seam, not as smooth and perfect as it once was but close enough.

So at this point I have gone back over and touched up all the areas and the main part of the plane is done. I went back and remasked the canopy with parafilm and plan on painting it seperate form the plane tomorrow with the same finnish. Looks like I will get it done just under the wire.

Ken

Done!!!

OK, just under the wire.

This kit has represented a large step for me in new techniques.

First time re-scribing panel lines.

First time trying pastel chalks for weathering.

First time using Tamiya white primer.

First time using Testor's Canopy Glue.

All in all a very enjoyable build except for two parts.

1) When I took the orginal masking off the canopy and saw it was covered with a film from painting inside. Plus it looked horrible when you could see the white primer layer plus the blue.

2) When I was drilling the new hole for the new antenna mast and heard the seam split from the lights to the canopy.

I did notice that after these pics were taken you can see the grey areas inside the fuslage through the two back windows. Have to paint more of it next time.

I stuck with it and this is the result I got.

I have enjoyed my first group build. Thanks again to everyone on this site for making this a daily enjoyable visit.

This is part of a larger project I have to build one aircraft for each of the top 20 US aces durring WWII. One down and 19 to go.

Enjoy,

Ken

Incomming large ammount of pics.

F6F01.jpg

F6F03.jpg

F6F05.jpg

F6F06.jpg

F6F07.jpg

F6F08.jpg

F6F09.jpg

F6F10.jpg

F6F11.jpg