Years ago, I purchased the Monogram kit of Ensign Darwin from Seaquest DSV for one of my kids (and it never got built - not even started).

Since most of my projects tend to take a bit of time, I needed a break, not to mention something for the Reno High Rollers show this past weekend and their Special Hollywood Theme. So I dug around and found Darwin.... dusty but still complete. So I took a break from everything else (yes, including my Helo build Dan) and put him together. The nice thing about it was that I was not too concerned with being perfect so there was no stress (other than needing it completed in 3 days) I had alot of fun putting together this simple kit, and getting a kit completed is always nice for the motivation.

Darwin.jpg

Thanks guys.

As to the water. I used a very light blue wash and started at the top (It was all primed white first) Then I continually darkened the wash as I went down the sides of the uplifted water. At the very bottom, I switched washes and made a wash out of the dark blue that I was going to use for the base color. After that was all dry I drybrushed a pale (kind of seafoam) green over all of the uplifted portions, both inside and out.

The green kind of blended and tied it all together while giving it more depth and masking any transition lines that were noticeable from the washes. Then I gave it several coats of clear gloss and just layed it on a bit thick. Not really the most professional approach at painitng water, but I had no idea what else to do with it and just kind of experimented as I went. I think using the green as a complimentary color like that is what really saved my bacon.

Oh ya - almost forgot - I painted some white around the very edge of the splash marks just before I applied the clear.